1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've never been opposed to these kits; they really help new people to the hobby jump in before they splurge for one of the starter kits. However, I take MANY issues with the fact that the marines in this are Ultrasmurfs. For fuck's sake, even the AoBR marines didn't have Ultrasmurf icons on them! This is such bullshit. I know GW have never really tried to hide their love for the Marines, but for God's sake, they could at least leave one of the shoulder pads unmolested. It's like they're just shamelessly trying to say to the little 12-year olds who wanna play 40k, "Hey, small children with mommy's money! Buy Bland Marines! Paint them blue and gold! Do it! You'll be happy if you do! Screw all the other chapters in the codex you just spent $25 on! Play Ultramarines!!"
I played Ultrasmurfs as my first army, I don't deny that. But it just goes to show that GW are really just trying to force the Ultramarines down new players' throats. The day Games Workshop makes a starter kit that DOESN'T feature the Ultramarines, I'll start respecting them again.

Woo. Sorry for the rant.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally agree with you on that point. I don't deny my main army is Ultramarines, I really don't like the fact the paint set is Ultras.

I think it might be GWs dream to have Ultramarines vs Ultramarines...

God. I play Ultramarines and I'm starting to hate 'em a little :S

·
Registered
363 Posts
I laugh whenever I see GW glorifying the Ultramarines, though. Take one look at the 40k fluff. You can count on one hand the amount of battles/dramatic events that the Ultrasmurfs walked out of with a victory. They're toted as mankind's greatest hero's, and they were nowhere near the action at any time, unless they're getting their asses kicked:

Horus Heresy: They are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy.
Damocles Crusade: They are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy.
5th Black Crusade: They are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy.
First Tyrannic War: Most of the chapter is eaten by Nids.
Second war for Armageddon: They bump into the Orks while fleeing from the Nids and are only saved by the timely intervention of Commissar Yarrick and the Blood Angels.
13th Black Crusade: They are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy.

Coincidence? I think not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts