Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like venting over something im sure most can relate to in some way, shape and/or form. So maybe this will spark some convo who knows but we shall see! I chose this topic because over the past little while I have had some extra time off so a few friends and myself have been going down to the local GW, picking up new armies, and beginning to assemble, paint, prime them etc. So while being down there These four things have been happening or I have been witnessing occur quite often.

1. Grow a Pair:
I know this sounds rather runny but at the first tourney I was at a group of good looking ladies came in to look at what was going on. the people manning the door / the people running the tournament did not even approach them to see if they needed anything or had any question about what was going on. I mean yes they have 'Bongos' (another great word) and yes they may seem somewhat intimidating but common fellas really? I hear so many local gamers speak as if they know everything about some lame ass board game or read a whole 40k novel in one evening but does not know how to make small talk towards the opposite sex?

2. Manners:
NONE WHAT SO EVER (for the most part) This was just more shocking then anything. Just always seems like they are always trying to out do each other. Instead of saying "oh thats cool" or "congrats on your _____". Instead its "so what I did ____" or "no thats wrong its like this because I did ______." I just dont understand. OR another brain teaser the gaming community is a lot smaller then most other activity groups/clubs and yet we still proceed to single out and make fun of each other and discourage newer Hobbyists.

3. Style/"Flava"(great word btw)
Has anyone ever walked into their local gaming store and seen people wearing clothing that has mustard or something else they have eaten spilt all over it and they go about their business like its really no big deal. Which you cant really say anything about because sometimes well... accidents happen. BUT THEN you see them the next day wearing that same stained shit? WTF I did not realize that was a style lol... just please for the love of god before you go outside into the light look at yourself in the mirror.

4. (My Favorit) HYGENE:
For the love of god take a shower Daily if not then every second day. Just because your models dont smell bad after 1 week does not mean you are immune as well. There is nothing I love more then seeing grown men's dandruff fall on a table steady through an entire 40k game. If i really wanted snow effects through the game ill find another way. Or I find that a lot of gamers have beards and what not. Let me just get this out of the way and say I am not against having a beard or facial hair. But if you cant maintain it get rid of it.

Now if anyone has witnessed anything similar and has a funny story or if they think I am far out in left field shout out! I am quite excited to hear what people have to say. I am really hoping for some good laughs here so dont be shy.

Cheers,
Chaosftw

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
If you go to a GW store you deserve what you get (True you can't avoid such gamers at tournaments, but still just think of the poor company as a built in challenge to the competition). The reasons you mentioned are part of the cause to why I shifted to a smaller more up beat gaming center. Mind you I always felt a bit off at GW stores with my well kept hair, nails, and lack of mustard stained shirt (I swear one individual looked like he should be bedridden do to his weight problem and sweating).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Sympathies, mate. However, the GW I go to (Melbourne CBD) is class as. No hassles, cool Staff, good people, no stinky-folk. Except maybe me?!
When it comes to the Ladies, I imagine most if the kids had their heads in the game. As for the Staff, that would be a poor show.
Manners don't really seem to exist below a certain age; rather these young 'uns have discovered the fun of trying to 'one-up' each other all the time. Psuedo dick-measuring contests will continue for many years. Come on, we've all been there.
As for the dirty clothes/bodies, there are just some people you can't tell. Before I wrecked my back (or rather work wrecked it for me), I would treat patients whose smell would make my colleagues wretch. I could only go near them because my nose doesn't work properly. But even when these people were told to wash by us and the Drs, they still wouldn't. And not just hair and stuff, but pits and bits. Especially bits. That's one story most people don't like hearing, especially men!
Deep breaths, mate. But outside the shop, obviously...

GFP

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(I swear one individual looked like he should be bedridden do to his weight problem and sweating).
LMAO I have seen a few of those too. Really unfortunate but meh what can you do...

Psuedo dick-measuring contests will continue for many years. Come on, we've all been there.
HAHAHA yes the "E-PEEN GAME" who could forget
I would treat patients whose smell would make my colleagues wretch. I could only go near them because my nose doesn't work properly. But even when these people were told to wash by us and the Drs, they still wouldn't. And not just hair and stuff, but pits and bits. Especially bits. That's one story most people don't like hearing, especially men!
Deep breaths, mate. But outside the shop, obviously...
I can barely tolorate it in that game store.. having to wake up every morning knowing thats what I had to smell... Good god you are a braver man then I

GFP

Great Comments! Hope more come soon!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Gamers funk is a bad thing. Fortunatly I do go to a gaming club that has more mature gamers and are able to keep themselves groomed.

Many years ago I wasnt so lucky and I went to a local GW. There were a couple of kids in there who must never have washed as they really did make the place smell. Really does make it hard to concentrate on what your doing.

The biggest problem I ever had in stores is people picking up your figures, espcecially with greasy fingers. There you are concentrating on destroying your nemesis and some spotty oik picks up one of your dead marines mumbling 'Can I take a look at these mate?'
Much cursing under ones breath and lose of concentration ensues.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
To be honest i think all the things chaos mentioned are just a north America/Canada thing, its not like that here in the UK, over here all gamers wear smoking jackets and monocles and we are perfumed with the aromatics of the British empire. And we all live in castles, real ones, not those plastic ones you have with 6 foot mice !

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
1. Grow a Pair:
2. Manners:
3. Style/"Flava"
4. (My Favorit) HYGENE:
1 - I know exactly how to take to women...don't make ever joke a sexist joke. I got to collague and the girls our number us in my class from 5/9 (boys/girls) so i talk to alot of them frequently.
2 - Is saying "your doning it wrong" or "acutaly i have this" bad manners? I suppose it matters on how you say it and oviously not inserting "sentance enhancers" inot your words also helps but helping people plya the game right helps alot.
3 - I am a rather guby guy i admit but when you are at a tormement all day and get ketchup on your shirt you can't exactly go and change your shirt. We arn't all 2 years old and our mums carry around a change of clothes all the time.
4 - Ya hygine sort of goes under the latter question too but really is having bat breath or crubby finger nails a punisible offence? He might have Hallotosis or some sort of condision etc. Don't judge a book by there cover and that goes for gamers too.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
1 - I know exactly how to take to women...don't make ever joke a sexist joke. I got to collague and the girls our number us in my class from 5/9 (boys/girls) so i talk to alot of them frequently.
Congrats. Unfortunately, you're only one person and many other gamers can't quite manage. As a female gamer I take notice of how we're treated by male gamers and there's a good number of people that could seriously use some coaching and self-esteem so that they don't completely fall apart in the presence of a member of the opposite sex.

2 - Is saying "your doning it wrong" or "acutaly i have this" bad manners? I suppose it matters on how you say it and oviously not inserting "sentance enhancers" inot your words also helps but helping people plya the game right helps alot.
It depends entirely on the context in which these things are said as well as the tone of voice and body language used while saying it. Spectating a game and informing someone that they're "doing it wrong" when they make a move or select a target is plain retarded and not a good idea. Constantly trying to one-up other people isn't a good idea either.

3 - I am a rather guby guy i admit but when you are at a tormement all day and get ketchup on your shirt you can't exactly go and change your shirt. We arn't all 2 years old and our mums carry around a change of clothes all the time.
It's not that hard to avoid getting ketchup on your shirt in the first place. Not blobbing mass amounts of the stuff on french fries and being careful while eating a hamburger will generally do the trick.

4 - Ya hygine sort of goes under the latter question too but really is having bat breath or crubby finger nails a punisible offence? He might have Hallotosis or some sort of condision etc. Don't judge a book by there cover and that goes for gamers too.
Looking like crap because you don't bathe or take care of oneself is bad. Period. Stinking the place up with body odor is even worse. It's gross, not to mention extremely disrespectful to everyone else around. Bad breath isn't an insurmountable problem. Brushing one's teeth twice a day (at least), using mouthwash and perhaps even carrying breath mints around isn't difficult to do. Not judging people by how they look is nice in theory, but the fact of the matter is that people do it every day and that state of affairs is unlikely to change any time soon. If people don't want to be judged poorly they should take the time to ensure that they look presentable. Doing anything less is simply bringing problems down upon oneself.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
To be honest i think all the things chaos mentioned are just a north America/Canada thing, its not like that here in the UK, over here all gamers wear smoking jackets and monocles and we are perfumed with the aromatics of the British empire. And we all live in castles, real ones, not those plastic ones you have with 6 foot mice !
QFT.

I do have a smoking jacket albeit I don't smoke but sadly no monocle.

Aramoro

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Gamers funk is a bad thing. Fortunatly I do go to a gaming club that has more mature gamers and are able to keep themselves groomed.
Mature games at muppets??? can i have pint of what your drinking.................lol
you do get the odd bit BO now and then at muppets. but then last week i had to put up with poi and his killer farts.........god knows what he had to eat, i think his skaven must have cralwed up his arse........lol

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Mature games at muppets??? can i have pint of what your drinking.................lol
you do get the odd bit BO now and then at muppets. but then last week i had to put up with poi and his killer farts.........god knows what he had to eat, i think his skaven must have cralwed up his arse........lol
I said mature rather than old :laugh:

As for farts, there is little that can be done about that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a man just to role my dice and another to move the minis across the board while my maid serves cucumber sandwiches
I have one man roll my dice, and another role-play them.
(Throws himself upon the floor, and cries out to the skies! For verily, though he did roll and reroll, my farseer failed a save against a power klaw and is now dead.)

And back on topic: yeah, OP, I agree. I play with old school friends of mine, who are all gentlemen, but I've met quite a few rude, socially inept* bastards**.

*with this one phrase, I include 'inability to talk coherently to women,' 'extreme rudeness' and sometimes 'smelling bad.' :biggrin:

**and never yet a woman player; funny, it's like they're driven away by the smell and rudeness, or something.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
As I have said many a time "just because I play Games Workshop games it does not mean I have to smell like I play Games Workshop games"
To be honest I have walked away from a store event before due to the poor hygene of some of the gaming fraternity.

As for politeness and talking to women, I really don't get where this has emerged from, gaming is supposed to be a social hobby, yet in all games (rpgs, card games, wargames) we seem to have a load of completely socially inept people and more than our fair share.
People really ought to be getting better at social interaction due to games rather than worse! balls really do need to be grown by some people.

When I ran our local games club we didn't exactly hold back on anyone who turned up smelling like they hadn't washed in weeks, we were there for social and gaming not to feel sick due to the smell.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I have a man just to role my dice and another to move the minis across the board while my maid serves cucumber sandwiches

I thought you only ate freshly killed donkeys?

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Ah this is a common misconception, i kill Donkeys for sport, one does not eat them, Also its should be noted that I use swan necks to wipe my ass and inside out kittens for gloves.
You must be from the south, as real gentlemen from the north use inside out terriers for gloves.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I agree on all counts. Just because we're in a game store doesn't mean we should all behave like we're 9 years old.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts