Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Having read the books, I've been waiting for this scene to happen since the series began, simply to see all the fans who haven't read the books reactions. And it's been awesome! Never before in a TV show have I seen so much anger, confusion, upset or what can quite accurately be described as shellshock. All I've heard from people in work today is 'What the fuck!?'.

Even knowing exactly what was going to happen didn't make it any easier to watch though. Love the part when the Rains of Castamere starts to play and Cats expression as she looks at the band.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I'd read the book, and pretty much quit reading for a month or so after it, it really made me pissed off. I've not seen the episode as I have Virgin and don't have access to Sky Atlantic but I've read how it happened and it seems the TV show made it even worse.

In the book the wife isn't present at the wedding, because they deemed that her presence would invoke problems, she's also a Lannister to which they thoroughly changed, as soon as I saw that I figured she'd get the boot. In the book she stays at Riverrun and after the wedding there's a big siege of it, but now, there's no wife, no unborn child and I think that makes it even harsher.

I think my anger stemmed from the fact now who is there to fight the war, it kind of came to an abrupt halt for me. The guy who'd never lost a battle was betrayed at a wedding and in a terrible fashion to. In the book they cut his head off and replace it with his wolf's head.

Once I got over it and spoke to some others who'd read further on, I felt better and I started reading it again.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
What's the relevance of rains of castamere?

I still don't understand why they did it, seriously over the wife? He has a load of other brothers I mean wtf! And where were his and his wife's body guards. I mean wtf!!

(Sorry I haven't read the books) :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
What's the relevance of rains of castamere?

I still don't understand why they did it, seriously over the wife? He has a load of other brothers I mean wtf! And where were his and his wife's body guards. I mean wtf!!

(Sorry I haven't read the books) :)

SPOILERS

Rains of Castamere is the Lannister battle anthem. Describing them destroying a rebellious bannermen clan. When at the wedding the musicians start playing that song, it's the sign for the Frey soldiers to take action.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
SPOILERS

Rains of Castamere is the Lannister battle anthem. Describing them destroying a rebellious bannermen clan. When at the wedding the musicians start playing that song, it's the sign for the Frey soldiers to take action.
Not just battling them, they wiped them from the face of the world, every man, woman and child.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Ooooo I wonder if this means the hot blonde (who's actually a brunette) is coming over with her dragons (who've been AWOL I assume growing) will come kick some lanister butt!!(hypothetical question I don't want an answer to)

YAY more fit naked hot blonde!! :D

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
You have a lot more shit to go down, characters to die and wtf moments to go just in the next few books worth of source material.

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
That was fucking...wow. Just absolutely brutal. The way Michelle Fairley delivered Catelyn's last words was almost unbearably intense. I've not read the books, but a bunch of my friends are huge GOT fans and I'd heard this Red Wedding mentioned as being a huge 'holy shit' moment...but I didn't really get just how much so till I saw this. I think the whole 'no character is safe' thing has been established in GOT since the moment Ned Stark's head stopped being attached to the rest of Ned Stark, but every now and again something like this happens that really hammers it home.

And here are some fans' reactions to the Red Wedding: http://www.vancouverobserver.com/ta...-game-thrones-s03e09-last-scene-spoiler-alert

:biggrin:

The Vancouver Observer GOT reviews are really fun, by the way. I can now only think of Daenerys' lot as Team Dragon Mama...

_____

·
Registered
726 Posts
Watched it online today and while I've not read the books I have to say I saw it coming from the very start of the episode and there were so many hints of something big going down. The extent of the betrayal was somewhat shocking but even just the whole wedding scene was a bit like "this is a bit too good to be true and something is soooo gonna happen"

I at least expected someone to put up a fight but meh...

I'm not saying it wasn't a good episode but just the way it was done was fairly predictable and the unpredictability was one of the things I liked about the first season. They seem to have lost it over the course of S2 and S3. While it still has its moment I think the fact GRRM is known for being trigger happy on the character front makes his apparent unpredictability easier to see through.

Looking forward to the season finale even if it does end on another "we're the night's watch, lets go do shit" moment like the last 2 seasons...

Reading back over my comments, I sound so jaded :p never mind

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Sounds like I should get back into the series. I grew pissed off with the TV show after how much it seperated from the book, and forgot to include the plotlines started in a hidden fashion back in the first books (such as the seemingly forgotten bit about Beric Dondarrion), for example.

And yes, my facebooks been filled with much Game of thrones sourced whingeing.

Any favourite characters? Sansa is RAPIDLY becoming my favourite, Jamie as well. As I'm in Book 4, the lack of attention played to plot armoured Jon Snow, Arya and Dany is preferable over the more interesting characters; such as Podrick Payne/Brienne, Margeary/Cersei's battle of wills (shame that the old Tyrelle woman isn't included as much), as well as the Ironmen. Euron/Asha, can't wait to see how he plays out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Sounds like I should get back into the series. I grew pissed off with the TV show after how much it seperated from the book, and forgot to include the plotlines started in a hidden fashion back in the first books (such as the seemingly forgotten bit about Beric Dondarrion), for example.

Any favourite characters? Sansa is RAPIDLY becoming my favourite, Jamie as well. As I'm in Book 4, the lack of attention played to plot armoured Jon Snow, Arya and Dany is preferable over the more interesting characters; such as Podrick Payne/Brienne, Margeary/Cersei's battle of wills (shame that the old Tyrelle woman isn't included as much), as well as the Ironmen. Euron/Asha, can't wait to see how he plays out.
You'll see how that changes for Jon Snow at the ending of book 5 if I recall correctly. Haven't read it, but I skimmed through it and book 4 (because I do that with all books I read... still don't quite know why). Anyway, even with what happens, his fate is left open ended.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts

Jon Snow does become a lot better again in the books.

I agree about Sansa, but the series really isn't doing her character any justice, barely any of her quiet defiance that she shows in the books since Ned got his head lopped of exists, she still just seems overly whiny and put down.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Thing is I think on tv too much quiet defiance could lead to us seeing the lanisters being stupid and ignorant. Also at the moment she seems really vulnerable, any defiance from her could remove that

My favourite character is sexy dragon mummy!

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
...at the moment she seems really vulnerable, any defiance from her could remove that
Given that Joffrey murdered Ros with a crossbow purely for shits and giggles and Cersei threatened to have Margaery strangled just for calling her 'sister', any actual defiance from Sansa could see her creatively and messily dead in short order. Sansa often seems like a rabbit caught in headlights, but she's smart enough to know what a monster Joffrey is and how dangerous his mother is, and when to keep her mouth shut about it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts