Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a unit is in Reserves and gains the Outflank rule after the start of the game, can it Outflank? Allow me to be more specific.

Looking in the section on Reserves it does not say you have to specify the "type of Reserves" a unit is in; as you had to in previous editions. So if I put a unit in Reserves and it gains Outflank, does it still have to just walk on from my edge?

(Further specifics, if you need them.) The reason I ask, is due to Zahndrekh's Adaptive Tactics rule in the new Necron codex. It says that at the start of each of his turns, after turn 1, Zahndrekh's player may choose a new Warlord Trait for him from any of the Necron or main rule book Warlord Traits. There are two Warlord Traits in the main rule book that confer Outflank or Infiltrate(which confers Outflank) to a certain number and type of units. So if I put X units in Reserves before the game and then at the beginning of turn 2 I select the Warlord Trait for Zahndrekh that gives X units the Outflank rule, can those units Outflank?

It sounds reasonable in keeping with "adapting to the battle" but I can see people having a fit over it. So just trying to see if legal before I attempt.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I wouldn't try it, myself--if a unit hasn't been deployed in Outflanking Reserve, but rather is in Deep Strike Reserve or regular Reserve, there's no precedent for being able to switch those around.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
OK after re-reading the rule book... I think I make sence of it.

There is nothing in the current edition called Outflanking Reserve any more (as you had to in previous editions).. BUT you must declare the use of Outflank and Deep Strike in Deployment, So you can not move units into that pool later..

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I would say no due to the fact that units in reserve can not charge or use any special rules that must be used at the start of the turn, in the turn it arrives from Reserve.

The above rule is in the 'Moving On From Reserve' section of the reserve rules.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say no due to the fact that units in reserve can not charge or use any special rules that must be used at the start of the turn, in the turn it arrives from Reserve.

The above rule is in the 'Moving On From Reserve' section of the reserve rules.
I did see that rule. But I would have just selected Master of Ambush, which does not require the Warlord be in the unit. He would be on the table. But it may be irrelevant anyway.

I wouldn't try it, myself--if a unit hasn't been deployed in Outflanking Reserve, but rather is in Deep Strike Reserve or regular Reserve, there's no precedent for being able to switch those around.
That's why I asked if the different types of Reserves still existed. All I could find was Reserves and Ongoing Reserves. But as a seasoned player, I knew the game usually made you clarify where things were coming from. And it may still.

OK after re-reading the rule book... I think I make sence of it.

There is nothing in the current edition called Outflanking Reserve any more (as you had to in previous editions).. BUT you must declare the use of Outflank and Deep Strike in Deployment, So you can not move units into that pool later..
Where does it say that? It's not in the Reserves sections on pages 135-136. I'm willing to accept it can't be done but would like to see for myself too. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
He would be on the table but at the start of the turn the reserves would not be on the table.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Where does it say that? It's not in the Reserves sections on pages 135-136. I'm willing to accept it can't be done but would like to see for myself too. Thanks.
Under the section that describes how you outflank. (in the special rule section, Not in the reserves section)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh. Now I see it. Pages 162 and 168. Dang. Guess I'll have to settle for giving Zahndrekh Target Priority or Immovable Object.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts