Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/KYTAN.html

The bad-ass engine leaked the day before yesterday is already up for pre-order:

Clocking in at 90£ pre-order and released on Friday July 10th, he is a vast improvement over the Lord of Skulls model in my opinion. His rules can be found here.

I will be getting one eventually - I will most likely take the Knight first though when it gets released.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Its a nice thing for sure, but i think the lord of skulls gets a bad rap, it was in essence the reworking of the old epic lord of battle model, and the lord of skulls captured the feel of that old mini very well while getting updated.
Your right on the looks. Unfortunately the rules suck for It's 888 price tag.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Strangely the Kytan is a Daemon and the name says Khorne in lots of places... but it isn't a Daemon of Khorne... (if you read it's rules it doesn't have the line to say it is. Unlike the Knights that do as well as everything else like daemons...)

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Damn. That is badass!

Between this and the AoS Khorne guys I may be painting some red-armored loons soon!

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I like the chaos knight a lot more than this guy. His head is still to small and his demonic beer gut is still too big.

And the name cracks me up.
Khorne+titan=Kytan

·
Registered
773 Posts
Rules have been updated to now include
"Daemon (It also counts as being a Daemon aligned with Khorne)"
My email (and it seems a few other peoples) did that.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Now they just have to tweek the points!
I'm not sure they need to tweek its points.

The armour profile I think is better. 13-13-11 I would say is better than 13-12-12
The bonus WS means that it will hit the vast majority of things on a 3+ rather than 4+ (so making it 66% rather than 50%). Also means a load of those annoying characters who can hurt you and swing before you may also only have a 50% chance to hit.
The BS drop is a bit of a pain, but the other 2 Knight types have Blast weapons anyway...
The bonus Initiative means it will strike before most things, and more importantly before other knights. This is a big advantage in more ways than one because of the D weapon. Most melee weapons that can hurt a Knight will be striking at I1 due to being things like Thunderhammers, Chainfists, Powerfists and the like. Or will be on Dreadnaughts or Knights, these things are almost all I4 or less, though Wraithknight I think is also I5.
The above combined with the additional attack adds a lot to the D weapon.
Unlike normal Knights it gets a 5++ save all the way around from both shooting and melee, while the knight only gets a 4++ in one arc and nothing for melee. If you can get a 1st War near it you can make that a 4++ save. Also if taken with Daemons you could cast a Grimoire on it for an even better save, or just throw down a Malefic : Cursed Earth near by to increase it to a max of 2++.
In addition to all this it also has Fleet (for rerolling any or all dice on run and charge ranges), Crusader (to give you a bonus dice on those run moves to pick from), Rage, IWND, also has Daemonforge though not much use with that.
It can also shoot 1 unit and if it kills it, it can still choose to charge something else.

Yes it does however cost 525 so is 1.4X the cost of a regular knight (or 1.23X a Knight of Khorne) and could be claimed that is can be easier to kill than a regular knight if being shot from the same arc by a load of firepower (unless it's save has been buffed up some how), though it harder from multiple angles and frequently you are not going to get stuff attack the rear early on, so the side armour bonus is better. Also it has less shooty bits... but that is more than made up for with the bonus rules given to it to help it get to combat and eat things alive when it does.

THOUGH the Chaos Knight with a shiney Mark of Khorne seems nice as well at 425 (or 430 with a Dirge). It gains the bonus of the Daemon save and stuff, while keeping that front shield. Its save can be buffed up in the same way as the Kytan as well. But none of those other special rules apply. So it is slower, It gains d3 attack on charge rather than that guaranteed 2, can't regenerate hull points. However rerolling the number of smashes is good, but are you going to reroll a 2 and risk a 1, or only reroll a 1 to hope for a 2-3. The big bonus is the Foe-Reaper for that nice +1 to the D chart when fighting to MC and GC. THOUGH how frequently are you going against either. Sure if you play Nids it will be there all the time. Eldar will likely have Wraithknights. Daemons or Daemonkin will likely have Thirsters or Princes or stuff like that running about. Though in the case of a Thirster or Knight they might kill you before you strike a blow. The other major one is Tau with the Riptide, and they will not want to be in melee either way.

So yeah 100pts saving to get the Knight rather than the Kytan and I am still not sure which I would go for...

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that thing looks fucking stupid?

Yes? Carry on then. :whistle:

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think the legs look stupid with the body it has :) TBH it is just a way to probably get rid of loads of the Lord of Skulls kits that were sitting at GW HQ...

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that thing looks fucking stupid?

Yes? Carry on then. :whistle:
Nope. Not just you. I think it looks pretty awkward. And not "awkward in a good way" like the decimator or the knights.

I like the regular Lord of skulls more . . . except the head is way too small. I'm much more interested in seeing somebody convert the Lord of skulls and make it look more like the original Lord of Battles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts