Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My head hurts.
I'm coming back to WFB after a long absence and I'm reconditioning my WoC force. I like the look of Fury of the Blood God for making a nice cheap Exalted Hero, but I'm not quite sure how it works in the new edition. It gives Magic Resistance (2) and a 4+ Ward save against wounds caused by spells.

So, I can see that any other models in the unit with the Champion get a 5+ save vs wounds from spells, as per p72 WFB 8th. But MR (2) gives +2 to an existing Ward save vs wounds from spells, so it seems the champion themself ends up with a 2+ Ward vs spells. This seems a bit impressive!

I'm assuming that in the previous version of the rules MR (2) would have granted dispel dice or something, so now you're trading better protection from wounding spells for the loss of any protection at all vs sneaky non-wounding spells, but I'd appreciate confirmation from more experienced heads on whether I'm reading it right.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
My head hurts.
I'm coming back to WFB after a long absence and I'm reconditioning my WoC force. I like the look of Fury of the Blood God for making a nice cheap Exalted Hero, but I'm not quite sure how it works in the new edition. It gives Magic Resistance (2) and a 4+ Ward save against wounds caused by spells.

So, I can see that any other models in the unit with the Champion get a 5+ save vs wounds from spells, as per p72 WFB 8th. But MR (2) gives +2 to an existing Ward save vs wounds from spells, so it seems the champion themself ends up with a 2+ Ward vs spells. This seems a bit impressive!

I'm assuming that in the previous version of the rules MR (2) would have granted dispel dice or something, so now you're trading better protection from wounding spells for the loss of any protection at all vs sneaky non-wounding spells, but I'd appreciate confirmation from more experienced heads on whether I'm reading it right.
The interpretation is correct from what I can remember. Just remember as well, that there's a *lot* of stuff that gets past MR in the new rules. ;)

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I would disagree- if the wording says "you get a 4+ ward save against spells" then that is exactly what you get... in effect the wording is now saying that the unit gets a 5++ and the champ gets 4++. So its actually less good for the champ then it used to be.
If the wording was something like: the champion is treated as having a 4+ ward save against wounds caused by spells then he would get the +2 and have a 2++ since a normal 4+ ward combines with MR, while if you are told exactly what save you get then you cant change it.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
I am in the camp that it gets a 2+ ward save vs spells. Its not that overly powerful.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I am in the camp that it gets a 2+ ward save vs spells. Its not that overly powerful.
Thats certainly true- its almost impossible to force a save from the exalted hero with magic anyway. Most of the common ways to to kill the character with magic are by forcing everyone in a unit to take a characteristic test of some sort (no saves)- the only common examples I can think of off the top of my head are the golden hounds and bladewind... and as yet I've not seen anyone use the lore of metal in 8th ed (although I think its an immense lore).
Now if you were going to use this for a sorcerer on disk or some other solo/monster mount character then it'll become much more important, especially in closed list games.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Lore of Death has a lot of "Snipe character X from the front rank" spells. Things like 2D6 hits minus your toughness that wound on 2+ with no saves kinda thing. Bit nasty if you've got no Ward/Magic Res.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the discussion on this one. I'm going to go with the stacking concensus, but then I would :)
I think Tim/Steve would be correct if the WoC book had been released after 8th edition, but since when the rule was written such a direct connection between MR and Wards didn't exist it seems we have to interpret things a bit in the light of the changes. With any luck they'll FAQ it properly soon, anyway :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just to add and confirm most that is said.

Thanks to the MR 2 you get a 5+ ward save against spells, and a 2+ ward save against wounds caused by spells. Since you can only take a ward save when taking a wound, you always get a 2+ ward save against magic. Beware of the line above though, (perhaps someone pointed it out above, if so then I overread it) you can not have any magic items with that character then. (I jumped off my chair with a great yell of triumph before someone pointed that out.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts