Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st off I need to clarify I'm not anyway shape or form associated with Peta I believe they are nuts, I like eating meat. I do on the other hand hate the killing of animals for fur, it's cruel and a waste of life and most of all tacky as all get out!

I'm on the internet the majority of my time so I can safely assume I've seen most of what's out there and I'm kinda desensitized to some of it too, a fact I'm not proud of I need to add but I went through a weird phase a few years back. But getting back to the topic. I came upon some stuff on fur farms and the video of them getting the fur, which I can't post here. Straight up killing them for the fur is one thing...maybe....but these animals were alive the whole time I thought I could handle it but I was wrong. The only thing I can think to do right now is bring awareness to this horrible stuff.

Read about it here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fur_farming

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?p=372&more=1

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-Chinese-Fur-Farms-No-More-Skinning-Animals-Alive/389674271170

if anyone else knows of another site or something let me know please.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Peta are nuts. They're just a bunch of hippy extremeist vegetarians with no real clue who like to make up stories about the terrible conditions etc faced by these animals.

The truth is in the vast majority of fur farms, the animals are treated the same as any other livestock, and we don't see them going about saying close down cattle or pig farms now do we? The ones they highlight are the small minority of courrupt and illegal farms that are doing it to simply turn the biggest profit they can, rather then as the majority who run it as a sustainable business.

I'll point out all legal farms are required to euthanize the animals before skinning them in the least cruel way possible. This is reviewed every couple of years to see if their is a more painless way to do it.

That said, do I support the fur trade? No. Is it a pointless business? No.

The truth is that while we do have synthetic substitute for fur these days, none of them match up to the properties of fur. In those countries that need fur for clothing, its why the natives tend to stick to the animal skins and furs rather then their synthetic counterparts as the furs are so much more hardwearing and have far greater insulative properties. So in these cases, there is a need for fur.

The western world? We've no need for fur, and frankly, the people who wear it are idiots. The typical permantanned chav in ugg boots or jersey shore reject. As a fashion accessory, fur has no place. Now, while I would like a bear fur rug, do I need one? No. Can I get something similar that's made synthetically? Yes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the point I was trying to make is not having fur farms that skin alive, that's just cruel. If they must have fur they should put them down humanely and use every part of the animal that can be used is used.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
the point I was trying to make is not having fur farms that skin alive, that's just cruel. If they must have fur they should put them down humanely and use every part of the animal that can be used is used.
As I said, the legit ones have to euthenise the animal before skinning it. Its the minority of illegal ones that treat the animals badly.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
PETA is a collection of idiots who go back on their word and in the process undermine their own cause. Support your local Humane Society branch of local ASPCA instead, they actually need it.

As for fur farms, I've though long and hard as to whether they're right or not. They cut down on poaching of animals for their fur, and really it's almost no different than when cows are slaughtered and their skin is harvested for leather. However on the other hand, they are farmed exclusively for their fur, not their meat or other products. And I just am not sure whether it's okay to keep an animal like a fox or mink caged and bred specifically for fur, which conflicts with much about myself in that I like to wear leather and even some of the best synthetic insulators can't compete with genuine animal fur (I'm making that statement from a practical, not an aesthetic standpoint. When I was younger I'd wear a small fox lined overcoat in the winter and I remember always being more warm and toasty than I were if I wore my bright blue synthetic), even if advances in synthetic fibers are almost negating that difference. At the end of my arguing with myself, I find that it's an ugly aspect, but not done without some good.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I have no position o the matter to be honest. Humanity has been using fur as a source of warmth and fashion since man invented a weapon to kill the animal. If anything they can breed them and then use their fur for all I care as it saves us from having to use petroleum based synthetics and save resources for more important stuff than fashion statements (which in my opinion is pure "materialism" and needs to be eliminated).

That being said I do concur with Shas'ui; at least kill them first. A quick shot to the head or knife through the brain works. A little humane treatment works fine for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts