Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks guys! @alasdairAdditionally, I have of course done some research online before I started this project and I couldn't find a source that said all[\B] Dark elf ships are black. Black Arks are all black, and many other ships are as well. The army books I've looked into mention primarily the Black Arks. However, Games Workshop painted their Dark Elf ships a dark purple themselves, and other ship models are not black as well. The Monsters/Ships from Man'O'War are even a bright red! While black can be nice, I thought a dark blue would make the ship visually more appealing, and a little less dull. You are of course, free to disagree.

Maybe I have been reading too much Malus Darkblade!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Hello everyone,
As of yet, I have still to play my Chaos vs. Dark Elves naval battle, due to my elven friend being occupied with stuff. However, I did manage to include my longships in a daring raid upon a lonely seaside village in the Empire, of which I will write a battle report with many pictures!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Hey, cool picture man! You have some nice photoshop skills.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Haha, cool picture :D

Enjoy some + rep for that one!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Tomorrow I will finally take to the seas with my marauders to face the dark elves! Here's the crews of each side:

Dark Elves:
17 Dark Elf Warriors
- Light armour, spears, shields

14 Dark Elf Warriors
- Light armour, repeater crossbows, Lordling

Reaper Bolt Thrower

Chaos:
Exalted Champion of Chaos
- Shield

14 Marauders
- Light armour, shields, bows, Chieftain

13 Marauders
- Light armour, great weapons, bows

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Finally it is here: the first clash of our ships! As we were both still learning the rules this game, it might be a slightly less exciting battle, but it was fun none the less! First, let's meet the Dark Elf crew:

And this is what they're up against:

The patch of light blue represents shallow water where the marauders can sail, but the elves might get stuck.

It had been a stormy night on the northern reaches of the Great Ocean, heavy winds had strained the ship terribly. As dawn broke the winds becalmed to a gentler breeze, stirring the thick morning mists slowly across the waves. The mist was still too thick to properly navigate, but it seemed the winds had blown them far from Karond Kar, along the coast of the northern wastes. The shallowness of the water, dotted with treacherous rocks jutting from the waves, meant they were not far from the coast. Then, a the blast of a foghorn silenced the crew aboard. It did not sound familiar, but it seemed not far away. The crew peered into the fog towards from where the sound had come. The captain came from his chambres, the door eerily creaking as he stepped aboard. Mere seconds later, the first blast was answered by a second, much closer by. The crew dimmed all lights aboard, overcome with a feeling of excitement and unease. The Reaper was readied and the captain took the wheel. On the aft'sle, elves loaded their crossbows while the crew on the middeck took their spears and shields. Then, as if Khaine could not bear the excitement any longer, the ship broke from the mists. There they were, two sleek vessels with striped sails, the bows adorned with wooden dragonsheads. "Norscans!" Called the captain. His shout was immediatley answered with roars from both the Norscan ships.
All ships are aligned paralel to eachother, with 24" between the Dark Elf and Norscan vessels. All ships start with the wind astern, giving them more speed.
The Norscans have the first turn and immediately turn larboard, towards the Elven vessel. The outermost vessel turns wider to take advantage of the shallower waters and protection of the rocks. While the first ship intends to get behind the elven ship should it sail forwards.

Unexpectedly, the elven ship turns as well, to face the Norscans head on! Immediately they try to ram the Norscan ship, though the thight turn necessary to align the ships costs the elves a lot of speed.

Though creaking dangerously, the longboat takes no damage as it sails over the ram and manoeuvres alongside the elven vessel. Boarding actions have started! The first rounds are fought 'cross decks. Axes and spears clash upon shields and mail, while gaffs and hooks are thrown to tie both vessels together. In the meantime, the other Norscans can do nothing but hurl arrows and insults at the crossbowmen on the aft'sle.

Due to their greater numbers and superior equipment, the elves inflict quite some casualties, while taking few in return.*

The second longboat nears the clashing ships, while the battle rages on. Some well aimed arrows take out some crossbowmen, while losing few men in return. A large bolt strikes their hull, but fails to penetrate.
The elven spearmen press on, some even daring to board the longship to cut down the wounded and surround the still fighting marauders.

But then, with some tight manoeuvring the other Norscan vessel aligns itself with the first longboat! Again hooks are thrown, turing both ships into a large fighting platform! Arrows again fell some elves as the gap between the ships is closed. These reinforcemnts bolster the courage of the men still fighting, killing any elves aboard their ships and preparing the board their enemy's in return!

As the fresh marauders storm across to aid their comrades, brave men jump onto the elven deck. Despite their initial good fortune, the tide seems to have turned for the elves.

Great axes, picks and maces smash into elven bodies, life spewing from their wounds in a wet spray of red. More men jump aboard, and the lumbering figure of their steel-clad captain follows suit. As he engages the remaining elves, a lot of them turn and jump overboard, leaving their ship in the hands of the marauders.
None knew of their fate in Karond Kar, and none could have foreseen the dozens of striped sails looming on the horizon as night fell on the city.

Yes! It was a quick and bloody battle. Unfortunately, my shooting was as effective if not even better than that of the elves, due to some very good rolls on my part. We both learned a lot from this battle, and are very excited for the next!
*This is the point where he should have cut loose! Would he have done that, and not let himself be blinded by his early victory he could have sailed of and rake both my ships stern to bow with Reaper bolts. This would probably have been devastating, as my ships would've needed to painstakingly turn into the wind to go after him. As soon as I started winning the boarding actions, the rules dictate he couldn't cut loose. He was then trapped, and it would be only a matter of time before my Chaos Champion had cleared the decks.

I hope you enjoyed it, as we've reached the end of the first chapter of my naval expeditions. I'll return to the sea one day, but for now I am focussed on an exciting campaign in which my Elven friend is involved as well!

I would like to thank you all for your comments and patience!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
You've nailed the wading pose, good work. How are you planning to do his base? I assume he's to be waist deep in the ocean?

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Looking awesome so far mate, great work! I particularly like how well you've done your own modelling, it looks very well sculpted.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.