Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yes, I have to admit the sail is probably too small for a ship this size, as are the sails of the longboats. I tried to make it as big as possible, but as I built it to be used, I kept ease of use in mind. I wanted it not to be a hassle when placing models on the decks (or removing them during play) and not get in the way when aligning ships hull to hull for boarding actions. It has to be transportable as well, and the bigger the sail, the clumsier that'll be. Besides, I want to prevent damage as much as possible.
I didn't want to post this picture due to the terrible lighting, but here you can see the sail compared to the ship:

I think it doesn't break suspension of disbelief too much.

Thanks for the comments, by the way!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Fair points. If it aint playable, it's useless :)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
now that's something to be proud of! I can't wait to see it finished!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thanks!
I'm also adding a small bit of loot and equipment in the front and back of the longships. To add some character and detail, and to hide some gaps in the woodwork as well.

I find it quite difficult to come up with a good composition with the small amount of bits and space I have at my disposal. I'll be making some sacks out of greenstuff to add a bit of variation.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
wow. a mordheim battle with ships could be just nuts! :laugh:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Well, the boats are finished! It took quite some work, but I'm happy with the result. Without further ado, the Dark Elf ship:

The pictures came out a bit lighter and patchier than the ship in actuallity is. It can even look black at times! Alas, my skills as a photographer are not well develloped. The orange of the sails is darker as well. In any case, it should give you an idea how the boat looks now.

Some group shots:

Colours look slightly better here.

Here's the longships loot and equipment:

I am also building a box for my friend to take his ship in with him, as we have aranged to do battle soon, where he'll recieve command and ownership over the ship. Yes! Soon the ships will see action and it'll be decided who's navy is better, and who'll swim home. I'll be posting the army lists between now and then, and write a report of the battle (with pictures of course!) as soon as possible, so stay tuned! I hope you're even half as excited as I am!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! @alasdair, I understand and agree with your complaint. Please let me reassure you that the blue in the pictures is much stronger than it is in real life. The pictures are probably oversaturated. I'm afraid my enthusiasm was detriment to the quality of my post. However,
I have taken a new picture in which the colour came out better:

Additionally, I have of course done some research online before I started this project and I couldn't find a source that said all Dark elf ships are black. Black Arks are all black, and many other ships are as well. The army books I've looked into mention primarily the Black Arks. However, Games Workshop painted their Dark Elf ships a dark purple themselves, and other ship models are not black as well. The Monsters/Ships from Man'O'War are even a bright red! While black can be nice, I thought a dark blue would make the ship visually more appealing, and a little less dull. You are of course, free to disagree.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.