Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If you're interested in art, history and museums, the Netherlands can be a quite nice destination for a holiday.
Not to mention their "bakeries" are quite famous, and remember kids if the red lights are on it means theyre open for buisness ;). totally worth a trip by the way. been there once or twice.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
The primary reason I used cardboard for this ship is because of the curves. This is a very curvy ship and I have no experience on working with plastic on this rather large scale (larger than normal at least). Cardboard is really easy to bend and cut into shape, while plastic requires more work. Secondly I think cardboard is a much more forgiving material. It is less prone to scratches and slight mess ups are easily concealed. Just stick some paper over it and sand it down. The foam base provides a lot of stability and everything adheres much stronger than when I would have build it with plastic.
That it is cheaper is of course a nice bonus as well. If something isn't cut right you can just throw it away and try again, something I'd find a lot more wasteful when using plastic.
Perhaps some of the ships I'll be doing in the future are better suited to be made out of styrene sheets, but with this one I'm really happy with the result.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
i have been contemplating building an empire ship for quite some time now, but time just hasnt allowed me to get started,dare i say i was inspired by dreadfleet lol .

anyway excellent work well done.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
i have been contemplating building an empire ship for quite some time now, but time just hasnt allowed me to get started,dare i say i was inspired by dreadfleet lol .

anyway excellent work well done.

My first thought exactly! A ironclad steamship with cannons and volleyguns. But now I'm more thinking of some crude orc ships. Should be easier. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Time to honour the title of this thread:

The sails are made from a cotton handkerchief, cut to size and soaked in watered down PVA. They were glued to a stick on one edge and left to dry overnight on a device that captures and stabilizes the wind: a balloon. This gives them the shape I was looking to achieve.
I've also been busy modeling the figureheads, but they're not yet good enough.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Try using polyurethane instead of PVA. That or just hit it with some spray paint that you can then wash over and drybrush if you need it. Would add great texture to the sail. Or as an alternative try using a brown/umber/sepia colored spraypaint and dry brush over that. That will eliminate one step for you.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Swede! I'll look into that for my next ships.

Just something small this time. I made a boarding plank for the Dark elf ship. Should ever the opportunity arise for it to dock, the crew will be able to embark/disembark.

It hooks nicely inside the railing of the ship. This way, any movement will not cause the plank to fall into the sea between the quay and the ship, though any movement up or down is still possible without the plank breaking.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Some wooden doweling cut up for the mast and crossbeams. The crossbeams where sanded to be slightly more narrow at the ends. These were then pinned to the mast with some steel wire. The sail is made from the same cotton handkerchief, again soaked in watered down PVA. Left to dry stuck to the crossbeams with the sails hanging down instead of draped over a balloon. The rope is again made from a woolen string and the bit at the end, where the 3 crossbeams come together is cardboard. The hook was taken from the marauder sprue.
The sail softening while painting was useful this time, because now I could very precisely streak out any bulges and folds. Gravity is not a very accurate substitute for wind. :p

I am thinking of painting the sail a dark reddish orange to contrast with the dark blue I have in mind for the ship. I'm not sure whether I will paint the decks a brown colour to complement the sail, or a grayish wood to make it more bleak.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
that sail is great! maybe too small?

21 - 40 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.