Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So; i’ve got a few project logs on the go and decided that rather than start a new thread each time i have a project in development, I’d combine everything else into a single log of various projects, random minis i’m working on or have completed. I will keep the separate Warhound thread going since they have the previous work in but will probably dovetail the orks into this one at some point.

This also means that when I am invariably distracted part way through a project, I can still keep this thread updated with whatever has distracted me.

Part of the reason is also that I am now able to upload reasonable sized pictures thanks to Red Corsair [seriously, anyone who suffered through the HUGE pictures that were in my previous logs should give him rep lol.]

Oh, and the fact that others have done this and i’m always happy to steal a good idea :angel:

Who knows, if the reaction is good or a number of people have comments, questions or suggestions; i may be able to develop those into a quick tutorial or something.

To start, here are a few minis I finished a little while ago and had pictures of on my hard-drive.

Druschi Anointed - for the Storm of Chaos campaign... I’ve since redeveloped the colour scheme in my mind so will eventually re-paint the rider to go with my slowly [very, very, very slowly] developing WoC and Dark Elf armies.

Dwarf Lord – My attempt at non metallic metallics. Overall i’m fairly pleased but i find the ultimate white highlights a bitch to do.

Female Daemon Prince – or mutant Celestine. I am unlikely to repaint but my chaos colour scheme has changed from purple though i’m still happy with this paint job. Honestly she has now seen better days, despite pinning the wings have snapped off a few times so this is now obvious on the mini itself.

And my most recent random completion – a female elf bard. I painted this for my missus at her request. Started around three years ago and finished last month.... there was a significant gap while I was distracted with other things lol

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Lovely minis! I especially like the female deamon prince and the Dwarf.

I've always loved that Dwarf mini. Some great painting here :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
:biggrin:I love 'em, especially the chaos stuff, you should take commisions!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Really, really cool work mate! I love the first model and the others are pretty nifty, but that is simply superb. Have some rep, I wanna see more :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Awesome stuff, especially the carnosaur paint job.

Where did you get the bard from? I've been looking for a decent scoundrel-ish bard mini for a long while.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind words folks, the Carnosaur was one of those things where everything just came together. I think in part that it's such an awesome sculpt that it's easy to paint.

Varakir, i'm pretty sure the bard is Dark Sword but could be reaper. I'm pretty sure it's a Werner Klock sculpt.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So here's my main stuff atm, which is my Avatars of Vengeance Space Marine Chapter.

They were intended as originally a Dark Angel successor chapter with prmarily bone white armour so I knocked up a test squad and dreadnought:

But then I remembered what a pain in the arse bone white is to paint so decided to reverse the scheme for rank and file minis to this:

With the intention to keep the veteran stuff and vehicles in bone white.

However, I somehow ended up with around 20 Terminators which was presenting a serious hill to climb. Having played with the airbrush I thought I could maybe use it to lay down a good base colour so ran a test piece that has come out well.

So I'm going to play around some more and will upload the results.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Thanks for the kind words folks, the Carnosaur was one of those things where everything just came together. I think in part that it's such an awesome sculpt that it's easy to paint.

Varakir, i'm pretty sure the bard is Dark Sword but could be reaper. I'm pretty sure it's a Werner Klock sculpt.
Cheers mate, Lorgar actually messaged me and pointed me to reaper - i found the model and some other awesome Bard sculpts so i'm a happy camper now.

I really like the SM scheme you've got going there - dreadnought especially is very eyecatching.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Fantastic painting. But sadly I think the basing lets you down, not to say that it's bad. Just not as good as the rest of the miniatures:eek:k:

Skar

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fantastic painting. But sadly I think the basing lets you down, not to say that it's bad. Just not as good as the rest of the miniatures:eek:k:

Skar
No you're right and no offence taken.

There are two factors in play here:
i) I've never really learned to base well, I may poke a friend till he gives me some tips.
ii) I really dislike the process of basing things, but as above this may be due to never having learned to do it well/in a fun way.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
No you're right and no offence taken.

There are two factors in play here:
i) I've never really learned to base well, I may poke a friend till he gives me some tips.
ii) I really dislike the process of basing things, but as above this may be due to never having learned to do it well/in a fun way.
Your marine bases look perfect modelling wise, they just need a few drybrushes to bring out the definition properly.

I usually use stones similar to yours and then drybrush charred brown, snakebite leather, bleached bone and then a tiny bit of white.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, they're fine as they go, they're just pretty simple and i'm guessing that Skar means it in the sense that they let the mini down, ie aren't kept to the same standard.

Interestingly a friend of mine who's a Golden Daemon winner said something similar last saturday.

My issue is that I don't know how to make a 'good' base, and as you say i'm happy with simple for gaming pieces. I guess what i'm thinking is that i'd like to find a happy middle ground where I can do a good base when needed.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I rekon they are fantastic minis, i will not comment on the bases as mine are rudimentary at best.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SO, breezing past the absence of *cough*twoyears*cough* :shok:

Thought i'd post some pics of 90& complete minis that i've done over the last few months [World of Warcraft Downtime ;p]

Will try and post some finished pics of things, been trying out some new materials and ways of doing things... including a bit more effort in the basing. Just need to add decals to a couple of dozen minis :headbutt:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The drum mag storm bolter is from the Spacewolf terminator box. Though you can probably get one from bitsnkits :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
May do an individual project log for the space marine chapter i've been working on, undecided as at the moment i am being filled with RAGE by decals, i bloody hate decals...

Anyway, here's my magnetised captain so he can work as either Logan or Lysander.

Also, some time and attention [only some mind] has been paid to the base. Have to say i have fallen in love with 'tufts' as a great way to add level to a base's effect.

And the start of the other project i'm planning to run concurrently

Again with the magnets ^^

Though now i'm having my usual nutty over colour schemes, kinda torn between two so may require some experamentation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts