Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was reading a thread a few days ago on T'au gun drones and just thought id ask here if anyone has used odd tactics, or had odd frisbee tactics used against them?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've just started increasing bs of gundrones(after deep striking) with markerlight hits..firing(TL gotta love 'em) then assaulting..this actually worked very well in the last game I played.

Plus the whole jump-shoot-jump..I'm really starting to love frisbee's of all make.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Update on the frisbee experiment..played against IG yesterday..had a squad of 6 blasted the hell out of some guardsman..closed in..and massacred the rest!

Then moved into the next squad..I was howling!

Yes I know their guard..but it was nice to see the frisbee's kicking ass!

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
They're remarkably good at assaults with their I4 and 4+ save. The low WS doesn't make much difference, really.

Piranha are open-topped, so you can assault out of them wihtn you disembark drones.

I';ve been known to fly a wing of piranha up on a heavy weapon team and then (if they survive the initial shooting) drop my drones on them. All they have to do is survive long enough for the fragile piranha to get behind cover or out of range. Meanwhile every round they;ve got that heavy weapon teram locked is a turn where they can;t fire.

This actually worked against an (old style) Defiler for a full turn and a half, giving my piranha time to loop around and fusion it to death when it finally broke the last of the drones.

Drones (especially cehicle mounted ones) make great throw-away fire screens for your commander.

Let's say you play FoF with cheap devilfish (instead of SMS-packing warfish), you;ve got two or three devislfish armed with drones.

Turn one you drop your drones. THey form three 2-drone units.

You array these units in front of your commander (but don;t join him to them)

Now they have to overkill three tiny little drone units if they want a chance to shoot your commander. Should buy you a shooting phase or two

Drones and a single stealth suit also make a rather nasty (and fluffy) kill-team

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, I think they have been one of the most overlooked units in the tau list but I can see them making quite a comeback sometime soon., easy for your enemy to ignore, the whole ai theing makes u think that even the ones u buy are expendable, and can tie up units for half the game! whats not to like?

·
Registered
100 Posts
i have really been getting into using frisbees as of late. they have had many kilsl, and have tied up many a CC squad allowing firewarriors to hop in a fish and run like hell. its really a wonderful unit, just dont tell too many people!

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Just keep them away from your kroot hounds, it's distracting for both units when one of the hounds leaps up and snatches a drone in its mouth and tries bringing it back to the shaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts