Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This list should be friendly but competitive enough to make some noses bleed. Need your review, Heresy!

EDIT: list edited as per last iteration

Chaos Lord
MoKhorne
Axe of Blind Fury
Sigils of corruption
Juggernauth of Khorne
meltabombs
(175)

5 Spawns
(150)

Chaos Sorceror
Terminator Armour
3rd ML
Force axe
Spell Familiar
(150)

30 cultists
(130)

10 Marines
2 meltaguns
rhino
(195)

6 Havocs
4 autocannon
(128)

6 Havocs
4 autocannon
(128)

2 Obliterators
MoNurgle
(152)

Allied Detach:

Herald of Slaanash
Locus of Beguilement
Steed of slaanesh
Greater reward ( major etherblade)
(110)

20 Daemonettes (180)

TOTAL 1500

Plan is to outflank with all daemons, while pred and havocs hammers the enemy. Terminators + lord act as nuisance and force a response. Rhino marines goes for objectives, followed by cultist horde led by Nurgle Lord. Basically by turn 3 i hope to have at least 2 units in melee

·
Registered
773 Posts
Where is the plague zombie helcult of death! :p It was all a lie when you said you wanted to have my Nurgle Babies... :p

Also personally if you can free up 19pts I would change in the MoT Lord / Terms for Zhofor and 3 Khorne Terms.
He is basically a Lord in stats but +1WS +1S +1A, Terminator Armour, Eternal Warrior, Fearless, Mark of Khorne, Champ of Chaos, Adamantine Will, A Powerfist with built in Assault 3 Storm Bolter and a Chain Axe with +2A on it. He must come with a bodyguard of terminators of Khorne though can leave them at any time and only count as 1HQ choice for both combined. AND gets the Warlord trait Legendary Fighter (+1VP for every char he kills in challenge)

Oh side note to that trait, TECHNICALLY if you challenge someone who has 2 characters in a unit and your overkills also kill the other character you get the additional VPs :p BRING ON THE ELDAR WARLOCK SQUAD!!!

Rule for him found in the same place as Necrosius (Imp Armour Apoc 2013) as updated from Siege of Vraks Imp Armour 7... or that link I put up before on forgeworld as the only thing changed for him is he costs 10pts less and now says the terms need a mark rather than icon.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, the necro list will be in unbound&popcorn ;)

The problem with zhufor is the 5+ save...i was aiming at something hard enough to resist a turn of dedicated shooting. might as well try zhufor too, but i'm not so sold. he deserves another role than just distraction punching ball, imo. at least 5 terminators of retinue and a good place to deepstrike, supported by other troops.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well a 2+ termy save is ok with the 5++ invuln. But with Eternal Warrior he is more likely to live than the Tzeentch guy who gets hit by a S8+ AP2- shot (like a demo cannon) and dies in 1. He also pimps himself up to S10 with his powerfist with 4 attacks as well (6 on charge, 5 if charged) so can eat people alive (if he survives, what he should with EW).

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tried it yesterday night. Not too bad! The cultist unit is able to take some seriuous punishment and to hide the nurgle lord well enough to let him swing his fist. Havocs + pred are fantastic and plague marines are tough as always.
Im going to let loose some of the daemonic part due to redundant ineffectivness and yes, change the terminator stuff.
I'd say those are the changes to make:
-drop seekers
-swap tzeentch lord for Zhufor
-swap tzeentch terminators for khorne terminators
-add maybe a small marine unit for support?
SO:

Zhufor the Impaler
(175)

5 Khorne Terminator
3 combimelta
2 power fist
(201)

Nurgle Lord
Sigils of Corruption
Powerfist
(130)

35 cultists
(150)

5 Plague Marines
2 plasmagun
rhino
(185)

4 Chaos Bikers
ccw + pistol
2 flamer
(100)

6 Havocs
4 autocannon
Veterans
(134)

6 Havocs
4 autocannon
Veterans
(134)

Predator
Lascannon sponsons
TL Lascannon turret
Extra armour
(150)

Allied Detach:

Herald of Slaanash
Locus of Beguilement
Steed of slaanesh
(110)

20 Daemonettes (180)

Now Daemonettes and zhufor+retinue can go when needed and hopefully complement each other. Small marines unit can follow the big cultists unit and help them. The rest is the same. ZHUFOR SMASH!!! mmh... i like this list...

·
Registered
773 Posts
So now I just need to convince you to dump the pred and get a Plague Hulk (same cost as a Nurgle marked soul grinder without extras) but only BS2, I2, with a Mark of Nurgle and a S6 rending version of a Phlegm Cannon (for free rather than 30pts) and a 3+ poison flamer with AP3 (also for free, rather than the torrent AP4 one what would also cost 20pts extra).

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope you are not gonne make it :p i need the long range AP2

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After a couple of games i've changed the list. Predator is not just good enough and it tends to be an immobile platform. Zuhfor and his retinue, well...they are funny, but are unreliable and slow like hell. A clever opponent or just some bad luck in deepstriking makes them useless.

Chaos Lord
MoKhorne
Axe of Blind Fury
Sigils of corruption
Juggernauth of Khorne
meltabombs
(175)

5 Spawns
(150)

Nurgle Lord
Sigils of Corruption
Powerfist
(130)

35 cultists
(150)

5 Plague Marines
2 plasmagun
rhino
(185)

6 Havocs
4 autocannon
Veterans
(134)

6 Havocs
4 autocannon
Veterans
(134)

2 Obliterators
MoNurgle
(152)

Allied Detach:

Herald of Slaanash
Locus of Beguilement
Steed of slaanesh
(110)

20 Daemonettes (180)

This way the Khorne lord is guaranteed to reach melee and to crush skulls, while 2 obliterators will just be better than the predator.
Until now the list was good, but not enough. The cultist horde is funny and attracts an incredible volume of fire. Now that can be a good support for the khorne lord.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Another change to the list. Whe can't just skip Psy phase anymore. Also, this list need some protection.

Chaos Lord
MoKhorne
Axe of Blind Fury
Sigils of corruption
Juggernauth of Khorne
meltabombs
(175)

5 Spawns
(150)

Chaos Sorceror
Terminator Armour
3rd ML
Force axe
Spell Familiar
(150)

30 cultists
(130)

10 Marines
2 meltaguns
rhino
(195)

6 Havocs
4 autocannon
(128)

6 Havocs
4 autocannon
(128)

2 Obliterators
MoNurgle
(152)

Allied Detach:

Herald of Slaanash
Locus of Beguilement
Steed of slaanesh
(110)

20 Daemonettes (180)

The sorceror will go telephaty and buff the cultist horde or the lord and his spawns.
The chaos marines will secure objectives and add some armoured bodies to the field. I think that even if less resilient than plague marines, their number will make up for that.

BTW tonight i'm pitting this list against Ultrasmurfs (my opponent of choice!)

Any suggestion?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
If you want some mastery levels without sacrificing your Nurglord/Plague Marines, I'd go with 2 MLs on the SlHerald. Yeah, you won't get the benefit of her levels the first turn or two, but she should give you a needed psy boost (and might roll something fun like Shrouding or Invisibility).

If not, you definitely want a spell familiar on that Sorc. I'd also swap Sigil of Corruption for Termi Armor, which both cost the same on the sorc (thanks to not having to buy a force weapon): all in all, -1 invuln for +1 armor is a well worth it trade, I think.

Other than that, looks like a pretty damn crisp non-competitive list. Nothing too extraordinary, but nothing bad, either--looks fun!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks mossy :)
Putting 2 levels on the herald, you say. sadly, this would nullify the psionic boost it culd provide: 2 turns average without blessings, only 50% chance of invisibility, probably too far from my other units to bless them...mmh, nope. I'd rather sacrifice fearless on the marines and the cultists!
About spell familiar: damn right!
about termin armour: he would not be able to run, though...oh, well...

Modified the list above AND the original list.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
about termin armour: he would not be able to run, though...oh, well...
He'd be able to run. Termi Armor gives Relentless, not Slow & Purposeful. He wouldn't be able to Sweeping Advance, sure...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm not a fan of sorcerer + cultist unit. The lack of fearless on a unit that is meant to lose bodies is damn rough. If you happen to roll invis, sure, but otherwise, you'll lose combat resolution against many opponents and get sweeping advanced. Hell, you could even fall back from shooting.

Given this, I second Mossy's suggestion of mastery levels on the herald. That way you can keep the fearless lord with the cultists and plague marines.

Otherwise, looks solid!

I've been trying to run a Sorcerer in terminator armor w/ axe, rolling biomancy in a big blob of cultists for a while now. But, the only way I can make it feasible is with the helcult formation. That gets you fearless, albeit with the tax of a hellbrute and additional unit of cultists. Something to consider.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
That gets you fearless, albeit with the tax of a hellbrute and additional unit of cultists.
Also the minor cost of not having any Troops choices towards your battle-forged primary detachment, when the units you're fielding would normally fill that gap nicely for the same amount of points. Ah well, easy enough to work around.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes that's certainly an issue not to be discounted. A fearless blob of 35 objective secured cultists is no joke. It demands to be removed from the table.

Due to my dislike of their troop choices, I'm in such the habit of running unbound lists for CSM that I often forget about battle forged.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you wanted Fearless on a Cultist blob, you could run Necrosius. Sorcerer lvl 2 with fearless for relatively cheap.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2 turns average without blessings, only 50% chance of invisibility, probably too far from my other units to bless them...
about the psyonic sorceror i'll quote myself. to be useful, sorcerors must be on the board from start, imo. :)

Also, i found out theat 35 cultists with no fearless can be...underwhelming. Must rethink the issue, i fear :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts