Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning up after a party the other day and noticed that those white plastic plates that you use and throw away are remarkably like styrene. Since I've done some tests and the model glue I have solvent type seems to glue it fairly well.
OK it's fairly thin, but you can get some fairly large sheets out of a big plate and it comes in a variety of different textures!
I've also found that the white Yoplay type tubs of yoghurt are also useable.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the moment I'm gluing a cylinder together to see how well it holds. I did some tests where I glued smooth pieces togeter and they held very well. However the cylinder has a square dimpled texture which is a bit harder to glue in one hit as there are large areas of solvent required. Any way after I've glued it all I'll apply an undercoat and see how well it holds. let you know then.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Yep. The type of plastic margarine, yoghurt and the like are made from IS THE SAME STYRENE as used in modelling. Just thinner. Polycement does bond it, but it helps to give the areas a light sand first to encourage the bite.

I learned this many years ago on a trip to "reverse garbage" (manufacturers dispose of misprinted plasticard and a bunch of other stuff here) in Sydney. Got several A0 sheets of 0.25mm styrene sheet for a couple of dollars. To my knowledge, they are still made using the same stuff (as many of these tubs get used in my terrain still.)

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I need some Styrene. :3

Party at mine; Bring your own plates!!!

Need to see some pictures :3 This sounds like a useful idea, I know exactly the plates you mean :biggrin:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Sorry about the focus but the light here was not real good. In any case this is what I made so far. The plate in question had a dimpled texture to it. More to follow.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I got a bit carried away and have come up with this. The red plastic is from another party plate. This one in smooth, and the rivets were done by pressing a metal skewer into the strip with a rubber mat underneath.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts