Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my copy of The Free Peoples today. I want to start a modest Mirkwood-themed force. Please look it over and critique.

Warband 1 (Mirkwood)
Legolas (Captain)
12 Wood Elf Warriors
4 w/ Wood Elf Spears
4 w/ Elf Bows
4 w/ Elven Blades and Throwing Daggers

Warband 2 (Mirkwood)
Wood Elf Captain
12 Wood Elf Warriors
4 w/ Wood Elf Spears
4 w/ Elf Bows
4 w/ Elven Blades and Throwing Daggers

Warband 3 (Wanderers in the Wild)
Gwaihir

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
It looks good to me but I have yet to pick up any of the new books so can't comment as constructively as I'd like. One thing I would have thought would work better is to have one warband exclusively for archers so that they can sit further back on the field to provide the other warbands some covering fire (or maybe with some spearmen to back them up in case they are charged by enemies).

But like I said, I haven't seen any of the new rules yet so whether or not that would work or is allowed I do not know. I'll try and pick them up at some point and form a more constructive reply.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I dont think warbands have to stay together on the board, so I dont think it matters per se which warband has which models in it, provided they are from the right list e'g' no Ents in a Rivendell warband

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think warbands have to stay together on the board, so I dont think it matters per se which warband has which models in it, provided they are from the right list e'g' no Ents in a Rivendell warband
Yeah, after reading the new book the only things I note about warbands:

1. Must have a hero from an allied faction to have warriors from that faction, who must all be in the same warband.
2. Warbands only matter in game play when there are special deployment rules (ex. Hold Ground! scenario). Then the warband arrives together.

So I may swap archers from one warband to the other. Other than the reasons above, warbands seem to be a bit of an artifice for force-building purposes.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Ah cool thanks guys. I guess I'm going to have to get these sooner or later so that I still know what I'm talking about :laugh:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah cool thanks guys. I guess I'm going to have to get these sooner or later so that I still know what I'm talking about :laugh:
My thought-if you have most of the stats and points already for your models, you really only need one of the five new books for the new rules. There are only a few tweaks to actual model costs and stats that your old info should still be valid.

If you are a tourney player, I'd get the book(s) you need for that. But for casual play only one is needed; your old material should still work for casual games.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Thanks. I'm a bit of an avid LotR collector though so I'll probably buy them all anyway just so that I have them all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It looks like a pretty solid list. Gwaihir could work well, I'm assuming you'll use him to pick off enemy banners/spearmen. He isn't considered "competitive" but as you're going for a themed army this doesn't matter.
Your archers are probably fine in separate warbands, as you don't have enough to volley fire.
The only change I'd make to this list is to drop the Elven blades and buy an Elven Cloak and/or armour for Legolas, just to make him more survivable. Otherwise it's a good list, and I hope you enjoy using it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts