Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to paint bad moons orks so i got some iyanden darksun and knarloc green, watered it down and started painting. I noitced that it left these weird looking squiglly lines and bumps, more notciable on the darksun then the green. I dont get what im doing wrong as all my foundation paint seem to be doing this. it almost looks like thiers bubbles and tiny bits of hair in the paint after it dries,and looks really rough. Any help?

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I water down the red and flesh foundation paints and it works well. I have not had any problems with the foundation paints.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Have you washed the pallete before you used it? You probably have a lot of unseen dust on the pallete you are using to water down. I would suggest washing your pallete before you paint.

As for the paints, make sure you mix the paint thinner in well, because those swirls are usually when paint is sitting and not really mixed well. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Have you washed the pallete before you used it? You probably have a lot of unseen dust on the pallete you are using to water down. I would suggest washing your pallete before you paint.

As for the paints, make sure you mix the paint thinner in well, because those swirls are usually when paint is sitting and not really mixed well. Hope this helps :)
my thoughts exactly, where i paint it collects alot of dust/hair etc that you can't really see so i always give it a good wipe before i start.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i had an odd incident with my dark green foundation (the name escapes me!) the colours seperated into a dark green and blue :eek: when it was watered down teh blue went into the recesses and make my life ten billion times easier!

but, i doubt theres anything wrong with the paint, just make sure you havea good paint brush and your not jabbing it down (can cause bubbles, also if its not thinned down!) and the hair may be your brush dying.... also as mentioned before, the foundations tend to seperate quickly so i dropped a CLEAN penny into mine as a mixer :) works as a charm for the ones i dont want to seperate :p

so just do a quick PMCS of your equipment and you'll be ready to roll your orks back onto the assembly line :D

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
1. I am mixing the paint before use.
2. I dont use a pallat (should i?) i just paint out of the pot. Not sure how much water i should use i normally add enough so i can hear the paint swish around in the pot (should i add more ?).
3.Sorry but my camera dosnt do close ups
4.I think i might need a new brush and a new under coat.
5.When you say paint thinner are you refering to water or paint thinner?
Thanks for the help so far guys ill try to get a diffenrt camera to post some pics.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
You definitely want to use a palette, especially with the foundation paints. I find using them out of the pot can give you consistency problems.

Part of it might be not letting one layer dry before painting on another layer. This is especially true for lighter colours. For example if you paint on a layer of yellow that didn't cover as well as you wanted, if you paint on another layer before the previous dry you will put brush streaks through the bottom layer.

It also might be possible you are watering your paints down too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts