Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've added a few changes to the sites theme, it's actually a total rebuild using the same colors as the previous skin. That one was really heavy on images which caused considerable page load slowdowns.

We still have a lot of slow downs caused by the adverts but until I can figure out a way to fully fund the site without them they're a necessary evil.

The page loadtimes are around half what they were this morning now so that should benefit us with new people joining and staying around.

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
i like it, it feels like the page has been cleaned, everything is a little brighter and a touch clearer

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The main change was to get rid of the bloated images that made scrolling from one post to the next a lot slower.

As an example of how much these fucking adverts slow the site down - with them it loads an average of 4 seconds. When I strip them out the load times go down to 1 second...

It's so frustrating having these ads that slow the site down and piss people off when the alternative is to beg or cover the costs.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
The new theme is looking good, and the site is definitely running better for me.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hrmm. One desire, please make links stand out a bit more. They're clear enough when the mouse is hovering over them, but they're easy to miss when it's not.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Hrmm. One desire, please make links stand out a bit more. They're clear enough when the mouse is hovering over them, but they're easy to miss when it's not.
Agreed. The slightly-off-white-ish doesn't quite have enough contrast for my taste; I sometimes find myself underlining the text that I'm linking as well so they don't miss it, which is a sign that something isn't working.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Liking the new theme, looks crisper :so_happy:

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed. The slightly-off-white-ish doesn't quite have enough contrast for my taste; I sometimes find myself underlining the text that I'm linking as well so they don't miss it, which is a sign that something isn't working.

I'll look into this.

I know it's possible to have them red if we wish but I need to make sure it's only in thread links that turn red and not site wide links.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Jez everything is now white!
Well the site has been black for a very long time, gotta be politically correct!

Apart from this latest development (which i'm sure will be sorted soon) I think the changes are looking good :victory:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It's all shiny, Captain :)

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
The forum is definitely faster now - Nice change Jez!

I noticed that on the "home" tab, the right column is just empty now, tilting the site a bit. However, if the forum is going to be upgraded in 3 weeks it might not be worth looking into it. It's most likely because of the clutter imagery you removed.

About the two variants you posted that you are looking into, I would personally prefer the styleID 99 myself. I like how the forum tabs are connected to the "main content area" instead of the top of the page. It seems more logical in the end.

Beyond that, I think the circles look in the styleID 69, is a bit "web 2.0"'ish in design. I prefer the darker and squared look, as in Style 99, myself. The "Welcome guest - Yo sign up" message is much clearer in this version as well. Not to mention that the SM sharing is more visible.

I look forward to seeing your decision though!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts