Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment we haven't settled on any Rank titles so I figure we might as well put this one to Heresys members.
Below i've outlined the basic rank format and post count (the easy bit) now the hard bit - name them!

If you can only name ten go right ahead and submit 10, others may be inspired and further your suggestion! Just keep them in theme with the 40k universe! Be imaginative - the best entry will be selected by the Admin.

I think 15 Rank titles should be ample.

Rank Posts

1 - 1
2 - 25
3 - 50
4 - 100
5 - 250
6 - 500
7 - 750
8 - 1000
9 - 1500
10 - 2000
11 - 3000
12 - 4000
13 - 6000
14 - 8000
15 - 10000

example

1 - Name One
2 - Name Two
3 - Name Three
4....and so on

·
Registered
11 Posts
Never liked the ranking idea because it sets up the forum for spammy messages, and it creates a "elite" society, i would run with normal mods and whatever you want to call the general populace.

Good luck everyone 8)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
To be honest, I have to agree with Sanguinus... the ranking system forces that little bit of vanity in people and makes them want to post and push their ranks up.

Hell, one of the reasons I joined the 1st company was so I could make my own rank... why not allow people to do that?

Now, all that said... If we really want to go to a rank system.... we need to first pick what we're gonna use. 40kforums runs off of Chaos, so perhaps we don't want to copy them....

Uneducated
Initiate
Apprentice
Acolyte
Devotee
Journeyman
Disciple
Enlightened
Honoured
Illuminated
Paragon
Exalted
Master

That's 14.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
if we wanna stay away from an elitism thing maybe just make the gaps alot bigger and have fewer ranks so for example

1-100
101-1000
1001-10000
10001+

No-one is likely to bother spamming up from 100 to 1000 for example.
Or maybe introduce a special one for spammers. Like Socially challenge and manually change anyone who spam's :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
1- Scum (heh, easy enough to get away from)
2- Mutant
3- Cultist
4- Heretic
5- Traitor
6- Agitator
7- Chaos Spawn
8- Chaos Marine
9- Possesed
10- Chosen
11- Arch-Heretic
12- Lord
13- Exhalted Champion
14- Daemon Prince
15- Daemon Primarch

Maybe after a certain number of posts allow custom ranks?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Custom ranks would be a good idea, but make sure the number is very high for moderators will have to check them all.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Tahaal said:
1- Scum (heh, easy enough to get away from)
2- Mutant
3- Cultist
4- Heretic
5- Traitor
6- Agitator
7- Chaos Spawn
8- Chaos Marine
9- Possesed
10- Chosen
11- Arch-Heretic
12- Lord
13- Exhalted Champion
14- Daemon Prince
15- Daemon Primarch

Maybe after a certain number of posts allow custom ranks?
I like those ranks. They fit with the whole heretic theme.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They would be very fitting but sadly they're out of bounds. 40kforums use a similar set of ranks based on Chaos Marines.

0 - Fresh Meat
1 - Traitor
25 - Cultist
50 - Mutant
100 - Big Mutant
200 - Chaos Marine
350 - Havoc
500 - Aspiring Champion
750 - Possessed
1000 - Chosen
1500 - Terminator
2000 - Sorcerer
3000 - Lord
4000 - Daemon Prince
5000 - Greater Daemon
I don't want to be classed as the board that copied them but great suggestions - keep them coming.

Maybe we can come up with a vastly different "unique" list but still hang onto the Heretic theme?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Jezlad said:
They would be very fitting but sadly they're out of bounds. 40kforums use a similar set of ranks based on Chaos Marines.

0 - Fresh Meat
1 - Traitor
25 - Cultist
50 - Mutant
100 - Big Mutant
200 - Chaos Marine
350 - Havoc
500 - Aspiring Champion
750 - Possessed
1000 - Chosen
1500 - Terminator
2000 - Sorcerer
3000 - Lord
4000 - Daemon Prince
5000 - Greater Daemon
I don't want to be classed as the board that copied them but great suggestions - keep them coming.

Maybe we can come up with a vastly different "unique" list but still hang onto the Heretic theme?
A shame because these ranks are perfect. You could always go the opposite direction and be themed on the ones fighting the heresy. After all there are already many Chaos-themed 40k forums on the go.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FrozenOrb said:
A shame because these ranks are perfect. You could always go the opposite direction and be themed on the ones fighting the heresy. After all there are already many Chaos-themed 40k forums on the go.
Nice! That's a very good suggestion. Time to dig out some pre Heresy ranks and titles.

The Imperial Guard and Inquisition weren't formed until after the Heresy so that leaves them out.

Loyalist Ranks.... hmmmm

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Yeah, according to the IG codex, the pre-heresy Imperial Guard was the Imperial Army, and it was basically the Guard and Navy rolled into one. So, regular army ranks, like trooper, corporal, vet. sergeant, would be acceptable if we're using a per-heresy list.

I think the highest would have to be Warmaster, as only horus and the Emperor himself reached that rank.

Maybe the ranks for people with strikes/warnings/other forms of disciplinary measures could be chaos related.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a list of ranks I've taken off

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Guard_(Warhammer_40,000)#Imperial_Guard_ranks

Officers

Lord Commander Militant of the Imperial Guard
(Lord Commander Militant)
Lord General Militant
Lord Marshal
Lord Castellan
(Captain-General)
General
Brigadier
Colonel
Major
Captain
Lieutenant

Enlisted Soldiers

Sergeant
Corporal
Private/Trooper

A few extra ranks we could throw in would be

Lance Corporal (my rank yey!)
Staff or Colour Sgt
Sgt Major

How does this look?

Warmaster
Lord Marshal
Lord Castellan
Captain-General
General
Brigadier
Colonel
Major
Captain
Sgt Major
Staff Sergeant
Sergeant
Corporal
Lance Corporal
Private

This is pretty much the path a regular soldier would follow moving up through the ranks. I took out a few and plugged the gaps.

Any thoughts/improvements?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Jezlad said:
Warmaster
Lord Marshal
Lord Castellan
Captain-General
General
Brigadier
Colonel
Major
Captain
Sgt Major
Staff Sergeant
Sergeant
Corporal
Lance Corporal
Private

Any thoughts/improvements?
Sounds good. Should 2nd Lieutenant and Lieutenant not be before Captain though? You could then also have Lieutenant-Colonel before Colonel. Brigadier I'm unsure about. I can't recall ever reading mention of that rank in 40k. I could be mistaken. I know it's an army rank 'n' all just I seem to always hear about Colonels and Generals, never Brigadiers, shrug.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're right 2nd Lieutenant and Lieutenant should be before Captain but I was thinking of members starting off as an enlisting Guardsman and moving up through the ranks.

In the British army a regular soldier can work his way up to Regimental Sgt Major before doing a course to jump straight to Captain - bypassing 2nd Lieutenant and Lieutenant entirely.

Obviously this isnt the Imperium but I think the same sort of thing would probably apply.

Nows the time to jump in with title variations. I'll have to have words with my brother he's big on the fluff side of 40k.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, it's not 40k enough (Warmaster is, but most of it isn't)

Throw stuff in there like "trooper" (like that one^), "Veteran", "Kasrkin" (I know, not pre-heresy, but its a great word!), "Praetorian", ect.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.