Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been trying to find the answers, but I'm not entirely sure here, so rules question time, please.

I have an Imperial Bunker. I add an Icarus Autocannon to it as an emplacement. I then add a squad of random guys to it. No one has Split Fire.

a) Someone has to man the Autocannon. Does this mean that the entire squad is firing at that target, and can never use the Fire Points?

b) Do they all have to be on the battlements to shoot the Autocannon?

c) Do the battlements automatically fit the entire squad, regardless of the size of the models vs/ the bunker itself?

d) Let's upgrade the scenario to the Bastion, which comes with Heavy Bolters. These have to be manned also. However, those are inside. Does that mean I need two units? One inside on the heavy bolters, and another one on the battlements with the gun?

Let me give you the TRUE scenario. Someone suggested that in an AdMech army, I could throw a bunker or bastion in to the Battle Congregation part of the War Convocation. It gets free upgrades as part of the formation. I'm considering putting my squad of Skitarii Rangers in it, because they get those nifty sniper arquebus and the 30" galvanic rifles. Nice little sniper nest. BUT I'm not sure if I can throw them all inside, or if they all need to be on top, because if I'm gonna do that, I might as well also add one of the gun emplacements, and with the new Skyfire rules, there's no reason to use them on ground targets... which might then waste the troops firing.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
1 ) only the squad on the roof can shoot the icarus and the whole unit must shoot the same target (you could shoot a ground target with the icarus...)
2) just a model from the unit has to stay between 2" from the icarus to shoot it. However you cannot split a unit between the battlements and inside the building
3) yes, the max allowance depends on how the building size is listed (small, medium, large) you can see it in the BRB where it talks about buildings
4)if you want to shoot emplaced weapons "inside" you have to embark a unit inside the building. Note that the Bastion bolters are pointing 4 different directions and very rarely they will be able to shoot the same unit...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. That's about what I figured.

Follow-up question:

If I had a Bastion/Bunker with an Aegis installed (now an emplaced weapon), the Senty Defense's automated fire says that the gun fires at the closest target. Kind of useless for skyfire on my turn. But with Interceptor, it will still target the unit that just came in from reserves, right?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
mmh. it depends on the wording. it affects only the emplaced weapons? the detatched icarus souldn't be an emplaced w.
Also, the wording is specfic about the phase/turn during auto fire?
I can't remember

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If I had a Bastion/Bunker with an Aegis installed (now an emplaced weapon), the Senty Defense's automated fire says that the gun fires at the closest target. Kind of useless for skyfire on my turn. But with Interceptor, it will still target the unit that just came in from reserves, right?
pg. 112 under Automated Fire:

Shots from automated fire are resolved at the end of the Shooting phase, just before any Morale checks are taken
I would take it from this that when firing using automated fire Interceptor is useless unless there's a model firing the gun.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I have yet to see a Fortification that's really useful. They're all pretty cool in their own way, but the synergy...she's just never there for me!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
fortifications can be great with the escape hatch and kharne to propell his charge ;)
I fancied about this:
Bastion, icarus lascannon, escape hatch, kharne + 19 khorne marines, 5 autocannon havocs on the battlements... a nice and dangerous core for any chaos army!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
What if your opponent just shoots at your Bastion instead of walking up to something holding 20 models waiting to eviscerate anyone who comes close? I have lascannons for just such an occasion in basically every list I make.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
honestly an AV14 building is not going to cruble against lascannons. 5+ for a scrape and 6+ for penetrating is not that good. Also, rememeber that you can use the escape hatch to gain some movement in any case, so you can propel your guys at the right time. Also, again, three or four converter beams on rapier batteries and a couple wyvern from AI13, might convince the opponent to come at you, after all...

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Yeah, but the D-weapon heavies will just make it go crumble. All depends on your opponents, I guess.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts