Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can tell, a Fortification, even a Network like the Wall of Martyrs, can only be added to a battleforged army if you have a Fortification slot in a Force org chart.

That means that, for instance, the Gladius and Lion's Blade can't take one. Nor the Decurion, Craftworld Warhost, or the new Hunter Contingent.

Can anyone think of something I'm missing to get around this? Can Fortifications only be used in Combined Arms Detachments or other Detachments with the Fort slot?

(note: battleforged. I know I can just drop one on the table and now it's an unbound army).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Xabre

As far as I'm aware, and bear with me as I'm still getting my head round this, the only time "Battle-forged" really seems to matter is when you're using the combined arms or allied detachments.

You can quite cheerfully field a formation and a fortification along side it, and as per page 121 your formation still retains it's special rules (or "command benefits", though it seems to jump between the terminology.) in spite of technically being unbound, a term which is completely irrelevant in this scenario.

As far as I can tell the only time you can't field a fortification with impunity is when you field a formation(s) with an allied detachment alongside, as there is no slot for the fort within the allied detachment you're technically unbound, and your one troop unit from the allied detachment loses objective secured. Sad face.

Naturally if you accidentally field two troops instead of one then you fit in the CAD and are gloriously bound again. Fortification force org slots for all!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, but let's say you add an Aegis Line to your Gladius. Side by side, as you put it. Since the Gladius doesn't have a Fortification slot, doesn't that break it's rules the same way you'd lose ObjSec for an allied detachment?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
You'd have to run one of the Stronghold Assault formations, yeah. I think there's one which is a Bastion and an Aegis Line, which will be the cheapest you can get, and then of course there's the infamous Void Network Relay.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yep, my bad. Didn't really appreciate the scope of the likes of the Gladius.

Gladius is a detachment like the CAD or allied detachments, and not a formation in it's own right (despite consisting entirely of formations).

This means it would indeed lose the two army wide command benefits you receive for fielding it if you threw in a fortification.

(Just on an interesting note, you need to field two demi companies to receive the second command benefit, so the option of fielding one of the demi companies as a CAD to preserve the other army wide command benefit would be worth considering, though the CAD itself won't benefit)

Interesting stuff though. Will teach me for assuming army wide special rules = formation!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@midnightsun: wouldn't those be fortification networks? Stronghold Assault states they also take up a Fort slot in a Force Org.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
a Fortification, even a Network like the Wall of Martyrs, can only be added to a battleforged army if you have a Fortification slot in a Force org chart
This is correct.

You'd have to run one of the Stronghold Assault formations, yeah.
Those aren't Formations sadly. From the beginning of that section of the SA book:

All fortifications and fortification networks have a datasheet that has all the information
you’ll need to use them in your games. Each datasheet uses up a single fortification slot
on the Force Organisation chart.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly, that IS a formation with a fortification. I'll be curious to see the rules. But in this case it's telling them EXACTLY what to take, so it's not the bit with the Force Org Chart.

I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather run a CAD with a Tidewall and bother with the Hunter Contingent. Overly complicated for not enough gain. At least the way I play Tau.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Ha, nice try :eek:k:
I'm workin' at it, y'know? :laugh:

Honestly, that IS a formation with a fortification. I'll be curious to see the rules. But in this case it's telling them EXACTLY what to take, so it's not the bit with the Force Org Chart.
er...well...yeah, it's a Formation not a new FOC based Detachment. All formations are specific in what you have to take, no?

As far as I know this is the first time a Fortification has been a part of anything other than a CAD, so it could mean wonderful/ridiculous things for the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts