Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Nemesis Strike Force detachment. Each unit put in reserve can come into play on turn 1 instead of turn 2 on a 3+.

I run a Company of the Great Wolf detachment, and add a couple of WG Battle Leaders w/ TDA (now at WS6!) to each squad of GKTerminators. As the IC is attached to a unit, and they're all Battle Brothers, does this mean that the 'unit' can still benefit and deploy turn one?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I think that the "Units who are part of this detachment" makes it so that if you join wolves to the Strike force, it's not a unit part of the detachment.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See, I figured that might be the case, however, I found this little tidbit in the BRB, under Independent Characters:

'While an Independent Character is part of a unit, he counts as part of the unit for all rules purposes, though he still follows the rules for characters'

Based on that.... wouldn't he count as a part of the unit, and it's formation, and qualify for the command benefit? If the formation's rule said MODELS from this detachment, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but...

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Check the wording of the formation itself, does it have a codex requirement.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
' ... for any unit in this Detachment that is placed in Deep Strike Reserve from the start of your turn one...'

Yes, it does. I'm not denying that it does. But we're basically rounding right back around again. The UNIT is from the detachment. The IC who joins the unit is not, however the BRB says the IC counts as the unit for all rules. The Formation rules are rules for the unit, but are not 'Special Rules', such as Infiltrate, or Crusader, or some such that might or might not pass along.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
The restrictions of the NSF is that all units must be from the GK dex or of no faction. If you add things from a different dex you negate the NSF.

Edit: What I am saying is the moment you add a model from something other than the GK dex or 'no faction' you break the restrictions of the detachment and your list becomes invalid for the special rules of that detachment.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a rule anywhere that defines detachments and special abilities? I can see your interpretation, but it can also be read as:

When purchasing this detachment, you can only add from this faction or no faction (to keep people from, say, adding a Knight? I dunno. Or from saying 'hey, i wanna use the Nem Strike Force for my Imperial Fist army'.)

Then, AFTER the restriction on what models can be chosen for the detachment, you get the special command benefit for the detachment. In this case, it's a sticky situation, because it's based on deployment... and units are allowed to deploy with other models, namely ICs.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Rules for Detachments :page 118

Gist of the rules on that page:

You can have as many detachment as you want.

Each unit has to be in a specific detachment and can not be in multiple detachments.

(here is the important one)
If you are doing a BF army you have to specify what units belong to which detachments and what command benefits each will receive BEFORE you start deploying your army.

The restriction for the NSF means you can not have those other dex IC's be part of it or gain it's benefits.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
That clears up a lot for me, actually - I was under the impression that a unit with more than one Faction within it was treated as each of those Factions (so if you had Preferred Enemy: Space Wolves and there was a squad of Grey Knight Terminators with a Rune Priest, the unit would count as Faction: Space Wolves and therefore you'd get your preferred enemy even though the unit was mostly Faction: Grey Knights). My interpretation seemed fine for that, but gets very silly once you start to factor in how mixed Faction units would work with buff auras (mainly from Space Marines - putting a Dark Angel Librarian in a squad of Wolf Guard Terminators with Combi-Weapons so they could get Salvo 4 Bolters, or adding a Blood Angel Librarian to a Guard Blob so they would be a Blood Angel/Imperial Guard unit and therefore benefit from a Chalice of Blood's FnP and FC effects etc.), so I'm glad that's debunked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts