Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on making some purchases from FW for the first time and have been hearing how awful the condition you receive models in and how it is an overall nightmare. I am now hesitant to continue and drop a chuck of change if I'm just going to receive mashed up models. Can anyone tell me other wise? I have heard customer service is great and good at replacing things, but still kind of put off. Also once I receive the models is their any prep work before building them? I know people used to say soaking them in soap in water over night? Is that still the case? Thanks for any tips all!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
With any company, there are horror stories. Some are better than others (of course) when it comes to customer service. As for FW, they are fantastic about working with you. Out of about 8 or so orders I've put in, only ever had one problem and that was with a set of autocannon arms I ordered for my GK dread. Sent them an email, with a picture, and they mailed me a new one. So my experience with them has been great and I highly recommend them. As for the pieces that you order, all I did was put them under the faucet for a few and finger scrubbed them. Once dry, I started painting. So don't think you have to do an over night thing. But running them under the tap isn't going to hurt (and is usually a good idea with any piece).

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Mashed up models?? I wonder if it is Forgeworld or some knock-offs that people are buying. I order about 2 or 3 times a year from FW and have done it for over 10 years and in that time only had one mess up. Sent an email to them and they mailed me a replacement piece right away.

As far as the models go I have got them with a lot flash on them that needs to be cleaned off. I have never washed mine at all just cleaned off the modeling lines and glued them together. So hopefully you will order from them shipping can take awhile to receive but great models. If you are worried order something not super expensive to start.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
If you're buying a storm eagle, expect work.

Other than that, I've never had any problems whatsoever with anything I've bought from forgeworld.
I've bought (off the top of my head) Cobra, Phoenix, Decimator, Wraithseer - And friends are doing legion lists that are all FW and they haven't had any problems either. Bar the Storm Eagle.
Did I mention the Storm Eagle is hard work yet? :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn, I did plan on getting 2 Storm Eagles! :shok: What about the storm eagle makes them such hard work?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Damn, I did plan on getting 2 Storm Eagles! :shok: What about the storm eagle makes them such hard work?
The kit needs a lot of straightening with hot water and hair dryers, then loads of green stuff to fill the gaps in.
Mine took 3 months (a good lump of that was looking at it and going 'awww shit' at the amount of work still to do)

A friend did his in a week.

Everyone I know who has built one has said it's been the hardest kit to get right from forgeworld.

They look bloody good though - don't let it put you off - seeing one on the table, knowing how much work went into it is awesome.

It's now my favourite plane :)

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
forgeworld models are some of he best quality on the market, but resin has its limitations, we as gamers are spoiled by having such a great array of amazing plasic kits ,it has become very easy to forget that GW plastics are actually the exception rather than the rule, working with resin isnt that hard if you follow the tips founds everywhere on line and respect the material for what it is.

some parts will need heating and bending, some parts will need you to remove large resin vents, some parts will snap if you are not super careful, but in return you will get some of the most unique and detailed models available for our hobby.

my advice would be pick up something small to work with first, then move on to larger kits once you have a feel for the material.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
52 Posts
There are some great unboxing and assembly vids on YouTube. Very informative on what to look out for and how to avoid problems.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Vote of confidence for Forgeworld products from me. A primarch sounds awesome, the first bit I got from them was solomon lok and he was a joy and a pleasure to paint.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I echo what most people are saying, Ive ordered on or two things a year from forgeworld and they have been nothing but helpful. I even had a order that disappeared alltogether and they sent out a replacement order.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I've ordered from them many times over the years, and only once had a problem with a mini, which they rectified promptly. They sent out a replacement kit, and I got to keep the original kit. As a bonus, with a bit of work and some GS I managed to rescue the original kit to a serviceable level of detail.

As for prep work, they don't need to be soaked over night, a gentle scrub with warm soapy water is good enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts