Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In lieu of 7th edition dropping all fucks to be given about the FoC, I have been giving some thought to just ripping an Unbound army. I'm not sure how competitive it will be (nor is that my intention really), so I'm worried more about killing everything I'm up against over taking and holding objectives. The more I think of it, this is really the way I played in 6th with my BA specifically...it's just now everything I have can score and I really have to take care of my enemy's Troops since I'm Unbound. The goal is 2k, and I'm including elements from my Blood Angel, Deathwing, and Astra Militarum armies, in conjunction with an Inquisitor. Currently stuck at 1,839 with:

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor ML1 w/ Force Sword, 3x skulls, Liber, Radnades

2x Blood Angel Furiosos both w/ Frag Cannon, Heavy Flamer, both in Drop Pods

10 man Blood Angel Assault squad w/ 2x Meltas, Power Fist in a Drop Pod

Azrael

5 man Deathwing squad w/ 4x Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield, Cyclone Missile Launcher

5 man Deathwing squad w/ 3x Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield, Plasma Cannon

Platoon Command Squad

30 man Infantry Platoon w/ 3x Flamers, 3x Autocannons, 3x Power Axes

Manticore

The idea is that the PCS hangs out in hiding within Order range of the blob that has Azrael and the Inquisitor attached. Manticore is in as thick cover as it can be, likely out of LoS thanks to Barrage. The DW squads both come in T1, and depending on access to enemy armour T1 I either take the Melta RAS and a Fragioso or both Fragiosos T1 in Drop Pods. At this point, I'm basically lost as to how to make up the next 161 points.

Whaddaya think Heresy? I know this one's pretty sink or swim, but I think it could be a lot of fun to play. How would you...finish it off? :spiteful:

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Seriously, you're stumped on 161 points? Ok, here goes my recommendation;

Baal Predator: Bolter Sponsons, Stormbolter, Dozer Blade, Search Light
161 on the nose.

If you can't pull the Dozer blade then throw MB on the Assault Squad as a "just because" reason.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's a lone dakka tank, why not take a Leman Russ Punisher? I know it lacks Rending without Pask, my buddies and I haven't had the 'how far are we taking Unbound' talk just yet. Still, I feel like 20 S5 shots outweighs 4 S6, 6 S5 and 2 S4 shots on a more fragile hull...even if the Ball is quicker.

My problem is that everything seems like filler when compared to other aspects of the list...maybe (since we're saying fuck all FoC requirements) I could pick up an Imperial Fist ML Devastator squad.

Maybe my problem lies in that there's too many options for that last 161 points.

Or maybe I should take an Executioner + 6 points of who gives a fuck.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
If it's a lone dakka tank, why not take a Leman Russ Punisher? I know it lacks Rending without Pask, my buddies and I haven't had the 'how far are we taking Unbound' talk just yet. Still, I feel like 20 S5 shots outweighs 4 S6, 6 S5 and 2 S4 shots on a more fragile hull...even if the Ball is quicker.

My problem is that everything seems like filler when compared to other aspects of the list...maybe (since we're saying fuck all FoC requirements) I could pick up an Imperial Fist ML Devastator squad.

Maybe my problem lies in that there's too many options for that last 161 points.

Or maybe I should take an Executioner + 6 points of who gives a fuck.
What about an IF tactical squad with Bolters?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of IF bolters, but a lone squad of 10 in a list where they don't get Objective Secured is a little weak. I also would be hard pressed to get them a Rhino to boot around in...the only things I would be willing to drop out of the list to accommodate things would be the Power Fist in the RAS and the Autocannons in the Guard blob, and they would have to be replaced with much killer to make up for the losses. Were I to drop those items, I would be at 216 (...? maths off the top of my head) left to spend. Since I have zero anti air

---let's just take a moment and bask in the Heldrake's step back from ridiculousness, as well as FMCs no longer being able to basically fly up and just run shit---

maybe I could add in a Valkyrie and a SWT or even a Stormraven. An ADL wouldn't work for this because it makes my blob stagnant where it may need to move, but I also have two TLLC Mortis Dreadnoughts (155 each) that I could use as well. Do you think it would be worth it to accommodate something to deal with fliers? I'm almost a little too relaxed now that the rules have changed for Drakes and FMCs. Anti Air options:

Mortis: 155, no points adjustments needed- 10 points to play with (kinda lonely back field)

Stormraven: autocannons dropped, power fist down to power axe on sergeant of RAS

Valkyrie + 3x Flamer SWT: autocannons and power fist dropped

How do you feel about those options? I guess I could also beef up the blob, but that might lead me to taking a Scout squad in addition to the 4th IP added (though maybe I could nudge the PF to get a couple MM attack bikes). Don't know if I want to field Scouts in an Unbound list just yet.

so....many....options....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts