Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
There's no FOC. That said, if you show up with a list consisting of 88 Wraithlords and nothing else, don't expect to be playing Apocalypse again.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I dont consider it to be making an armylist really. the game allows for asymetric points values and balances that with strategic assets.

just write up every model you own.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I'm just trying to get a game going in the first place. No one in my area has really bitten into the Apoc Apple.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm just trying to get a game going in the first place. No one in my area has really bitten into the Apoc Apple.
I know, its too big for many newbies, and many vets shun it because they think it is too "simple" for them. To be honest, they are right, it has just simplified 40K, but I'm playing it so I finally get to use superheavies without getting an outcry from anyone watching

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
The guys in my group hold 'Megabattles' once a year. This may change to the Apocalypse Event, but I'm not too sure. At least, we're getting updated rules for many of the larger units we rarely see, even though the rules are only really valid for Apoc games.

·
Registered
304 Posts
no reason why reasonable gaming groups won't mind incorporating such things into normal gaming

but at the amount of points your likely to be using such things, you might as well be playing apocolypse...

·
Registered
176 Posts
no reason why reasonable gaming groups won't mind incorporating such things into normal gaming

but at the amount of points your likely to be using such things, you might as well be playing apocolypse...
I can think of a reason. At 1000 points no balanced list will have anywhere near the anti-tank firepower to deal with a Baneblade. Sure, your army will be a Baneblade, a Captain and two Tactical Squads, but it'll still be a royal PITA to play.

Most of the Apocalypse units aren't really balanced under 3000 points. They just dominate the game in an unhealthy way.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I know, its too big for many newbies, and many vets shun it because they think it is too "simple" for them. To be honest, they are right, it has just simplified 40K, but I'm playing it so I finally get to use superheavies without getting an outcry from anyone watching
>> Im one of those peeps who thinks if ye want to play huge games of 40k, play Epic. Probably more do-able for some folk, as you can play on a normal size table. Apoc looks arite, but I wont be getting involved. Deals for armies are pretty tempting though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The biggest problem is that the two armies I want to play don't go together.
Nids and Necrons.

The only thing I can think of, is that they both want to get rid of all life in the universe.
The Necrons want it all dead.
The Nids want it all in their bellys.
NECRONIDS FOR THE WIN

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yeah, I've played several Apoc games now (doing it again tomorrow actually) and it rocls like eggs on toast!

Force Org Charts are out the door, It's simply a matter of making a big force that reasonably could work together to fight a bigger threat, like eldar and imperials vs Chaos or Bugs or Necrons, etc.

The reason it all balances out is simple:

*In a 3000+ point per side battle, each unit is really less important...so that tooled up Chaplain, really means jack.

*The goal is to play to the spirit of the game instead of the letter of the rules of the Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook. Do thing that may be tactically dumb because damn...that lone, last man standing marine charging the Baneblade looks frigging cool! That's what Apocalypse is all about!

*Players who attempt to use standard 40k tactics and measure tightly, and do all the normal in-game tactics...it just won't work. There just isn't enough time and it spoils the game. Don't try and make Apocalypse a competitive game, because you'll find so many loopholes and ways to break the system it's ridiculous. You can play a 200 Carnifex army if you want, or all Ctan army...but don't expect to play with folks for much longer because you're going against the spirit of the game. If you want to play to WIN, it's easy to build an unstoppable force in this expansion. Should you though?

*Apocalpse is for huge, themed, epic warfare. Something you could have Duel of the Fates or the Carmina Burana playing to. Over the top, cool, crazy superheroic, cinematic type play. It's not for competitive, rules-lawyering, min-maxing, powergamer play.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I would like to host a game, but with only one caveat...

All models must be fully painted and based.

This might make for a much smaller 'megabattle', but It would most likely prevent the sort of nonsense that overly competitive players and power gamers are known for.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm really interested now.
It just sounds like so much fun.
My friend is a powergamer, more or less, so he's against Apoc.
But too bad for him, since he plays SM.
It'll be him and our IG friend vs me and our Chaos friend.
Maybe we'll toss my friend who plays Eldar into the mix.

·
Registered
176 Posts
*Apocalpse is for huge, themed, epic warfare. Something you could have Duel of the Fates or the Carmina Burana playing to. Over the top, cool, crazy superheroic, cinematic type play. It's not for competitive, rules-lawyering, min-maxing, powergamer play.
Aside from the epic scale, all of that should apply to regular 40K as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMO the Apocalypse expansion was really just a big marketing ploy, its a super cool idea, and im sure its going to be alot of fun, but it was only a way to get people to buy the biggest and most expensive kits and multiples of them too, the Mycetic Assult Storm kit saves you 10 dollars, for example, but before this no one in there right mind (unless your me =P) would buy 5 carnifexes in one sweep, unless you were building a big enough army to justify it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts