Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys, I have decided to make a new plog as my other one is too old to edit now.

I collect Blood Angels, Imperial Guard and I have an Empire army too (although i barely ever play with them).

However I need something to give me a kick up my arse when it comes to painting them so I'm going to use this, I'm also going to strip some of my older guys except my special characters as i'm kinda fond of them.

So to start with i have my termies, I love these guys and they also kinda show how mental I have gone with the magnets recently. Please don't worry about the shoulders I will be sorting this out at some point, same goes for the bases.

I am eager to here what you guys think, if you like them or not :)

I'm pretty happy with them if I'm honest :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Solid start there man. Good reds (and that's always a tricky colour to do right). I wouldn't really change alot on them except maybe aply a lighter shade of blue to emulate a lens in the eyes. Other then that, it's great work all round! Enjoy some rep to set you off :)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks elmir, I agree, I still haven't got blood drops or eyes down yet, I'm gonna work on it though, any advice on any good tutorials??

Next I have the second (maybe third squad) as the 1st and 2nd will be Vanguard and Sternguard.

you know the problem with photos..... it enlarges every minor blemish 4 times :(

again c & c please guys, I'm gonna stick insignias on them if you guys think they're good enough :)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
wow you guys are normally so much more critical then this..... :(

I don't think they're that good tbh. . . I keep spotting mistakes as i go and I've forgotten to highlight the guns :(

I have painted another guy today and I reckon I'm going to edit my old post with some names in a minute, I'm thinking biblical, Jewish.... maybe see about the Latin names, they are very latinish :)

I'm doing a little tutorial thing to show how I painted them, I'm not too sure on the highlights either. . . .
I also may put a light brush of gold over the silver to make the 'wings' look more regal and for some reason I can never get the wings to look right :(

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ Troybuckle I have got about 5,000 points worth of BA at the moment and I have only based 2 of them, it's probably going to be a kind of city/grassland theme, i've been looking for inspiration and haven't decided on anything yet :(

@ Alexious thanks mate, the faces are actually dwarf flesh with elf flesh on top watered down devlun mud on top then a int amount of bleached bone to make them a bit pale however I think there is a bit too much dwarf flesh which I think has an orange tinge to it :)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok guys so to give you a little update I have finished another guy but for some reason he is the most bland guy I have ever seen, no special things on his armour, nothing interesting at all really. . .

I also thought I should show you guy what I have got in front of me, well they're all in the photos below;

Out of both armies I have finished a Librarian and a Chaplain.

I have almost finished;
the termies (bases, weathering and i'm still not 100% happy with them)
8/10 of the tactical squad (same as above)
vindicators
land raider
razor back
rhino
Commissar
Ogryns (again the same as above)
the guardsman (except the black ones and again you can see a pattern coming in here)
a chimera
a lemon
vendetta (also need to get the lascannons from forgeworld)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hmmm i'm not sure why the paint looks so thick on the picks its not that bad in person, anyhow i have finished the last two guys and over the next couple of days i am going to base them and put some logos on them :)

Is this plog ok or are there too many photos? a poor quality? i could make collages of the picks, i'm just getting concerned of the lack of responses :(

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Next up is my techmarine as I have found he is vicious in cc and good at fixing my vindis :)

I am gonna call him Alexander for no particular reason, I'm working out some names for the rest of them, the names are going to be Hebrew/Jewish/biblical because I think I've found enough that seem cool and they all have meanings :)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, I'm still thinking, I may be bland on this guy because of the way he is stood, my Angels are going to be more adventurous but I don't want the to distract from the models. I have some eBay tactical marines that i am going to practice basing :)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So another update, today I have started on my assault squad (I have some more but I have to strip the paint from them 1st). As you guys maybe aware from reading up I am still working out the bases and teaching myself how to do eyes and gems.

But for the pics this is the 3rd Companies 3rd squad (I think)

I tried to get some better pics of them and here they are;

The Sergeant is called Ethan (a name that means strong, firm or steadfast)

His buddy is called Aviel (meaning 'my father is god')

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice work! I love the depth of the red, and the use of Death Company bits to mix up standard marines :) Keep it up!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi there I just had a read through your plog.
It is really nice to see how you improve with almost every post. The reds have a nice depth to them I like it. There is although a small suggestion I will make - this is a personal thing but I like to have a second colour for contrast. What I mean is that your Tac squads are too red for my taste - some details on the armour like backpack straps, holsters, DV crosses are all left red when they could add so much to the model when painted with other colours (white or yellow).

Take a look a the last phot you have posted - the crossed straps on the chest could be silver or leather brown, the shoulder pad on the left with a cross could have some white details, it would break the model and let the reds pop a bit more - that is what I feel.

You have a nice army keep improving!

Siskin

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
@ Rarka you know what annoys me, i wanted to get rid of the death company stuff but my green stuff skills fail and they released the GS 'paint' too late. The way i was going to justify it was doing some kind of fluff about revered, honoured, reused armour, in the BA books Rafen wears a dead battle brothers armour who was in the DC.

@ Siskin I agree, I'm going to put the insignia on them soon and see if that breaks them up otherwise at some point i want to decorate bits of there armour. marble effects, righting, pictures, that kinda thing, both for fluff reasons and it'll be a bit different. We know that the Blood Angels have some kind of love for painting there armour. Another thing i want to do is add battle damage but my skillz are letting me down on all the above accounts :)

·
It's Only Logical
151 Posts
Next up is my techmarine as I have found he is vicious in cc and good at fixing my vindis :)

I am gonna call him Alexander for no particular reason, I'm working out some names for the rest of them, the names are going to be Hebrew/Jewish/biblical because I think I've found enough that seem cool and they all have meanings :)

Everything is looking great! Keep it up! :D

1 - 20 of 91 Posts