Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been planning for a grey Knights army for a while now and need a break from painting RED
I haven't purchased and models yet as I wanna get it right first and not waste money.
So we would play between 1000-2000 pts so I'm going in the middle at 1500pts and growing from there.
Please take a look and all help is welcome.

TOTAL 1499pts

HQ 155pts
Libby-soul glaive, mastery level 3

Troops 894pts
10 man strike squad, all helbards, 2 psycannon, melta bomb
10 man terminator squad, all halberds, 2 psycannon, melta bomb
5 man terminator squad , All daemon hammers, 1 incinerator, melta bomb

Heavy support 450pts
2 nemesis dredknights, 2 power fist, heavy psycannon, Gatling psilencer, personal teleporter

So not many models but sure we knew that was going to happen,
Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to the Brotherhood

I'll get right into it! Strike squads are not what they used to be, and psycannons on power armoured GK are definitely not what they used to be. I would change to 10 man strike squad to a 10 man intercepter squad with incinerators instead, and with only 1 attack each i would not bother upgrading the close combat weapon and melta bomb. This leaves you with a superfast anti-infantry squad.

I like the terminators. They are our new go to troops choice with their new cheap price tag. Put psycannons on terminators as they get to most out of the new salvo rule on the psycannon. I would shave of a hammer from the smaller squad to upgrade the incinerator to a psycannon and maybe swap 2 of the remaining hammers to the bigger squad in exchange for some halberds. This leaves them more balanced. Furthermore, if you combat squad the bigger squad you will have 3 comparable squads for some target saturation.

I would change to dreadknight psilencers to heavy incinerators for higher strength and template goodness. Lastly i would give them a greatsword instead of the dual fists. It will still be at strength ten and get the extra attack, but now the dreadknights will strike at initiative, be force weapons and have mastercrafted.

These changes keep the same number of models and the points costs will be the same.

- D

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
HQ 155pts
Libby-soul glaive, mastery level 3
I'm not a huge fan of the Soul Glaive - I'd take the Domina Liber Daemonica instead. Same points, so a simple swap, but it really backs up the Librarian's role as a support piece.

Troops 894pts
10 man strike squad, all helbards, 2 psycannon, melta bomb
Halberds aren't great, and to be honest, I've been very disappointed with my Strike Squad (10 in a Stormraven with 2 Incinerators and an Inquisitor with support gear). I wouldn't bother at all, but if you have your heart set on them (because let's face it, the models kick ass!), I'd bring PAGK as Purifers with 2 Incinerators in a Stormraven (a far better option - Combat Squad to get two Cleansing Flames and watch as it's the turn of Tau and Eldar players to cry!)

10 man terminator squad, all halberds, 2 psycannon, melta bomb
I'm a huge fan of Falchions over Halberds, but Halberds aren't too bad especially if you're pushed for Psychic dice (which you may well be with a Librarian sucking up a bunch of Warp Charge every turn). Psycannons are brilliant. Melta Bombs are probably irrelevant with Str7 Hammerhand.

5 man terminator squad , All daemon hammers, 1 incinerator, melta bomb
5 Daemonhammers is way too much, really - 1 Hammer per 5 GKT is a good guide. Leave one Daemonhammer in this unit, transfer two to the big unit, and give the others Falchions or Halberds.

Heavy support 450pts
2 nemesis dredknights, 2 power fist, heavy psycannon, Gatling psilencer, personal teleporter
Are you sure you can give them two guns? I didn't think that was possible in the new book, but if I'm wrong, then that's great. I think that the Heavy Psycannon is the best gun (GK need all the help they can get when it comes to killing vehicles; it's the one thing we really struggle with), followed by the Heavy Incinerator (but I can see the merits of the Gatling Psilencer if you fight a lot of Tyranid Warriors or Greater Daemons).

You are the Hammer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts