Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
You should definately mobilize them. Makes them more threatening, due to being able to drive up to anywhere and shoot some rainbowy death. If you keep them walking, they'll be slow as heck, and the 4+ invulnerable save won't help you much when your opponent is running around you in circles, able to pick battles at his will.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ive actually played Tsons for a while now and found that they really do need transport. They are slow and purposeful so they are extremely slow on foot and easilly avoided. In a trandport they can be extremely effective at killing MEQs because you can get those ap3 bolters to the right place at the right time. These guys are already real expensive, so if you want them to make their points back you neend to invest a few extra points in a rhino.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Unfortunately you can't very well take advantage of their 24" shooting range, even while moving (thanks S&P :D), for a few reasons.

Expensive models.
Sorcerer probably wants to get close, so he can melt some face.
They may have a 4+ Invulnerable save, but they fall just as easily to light arms fire.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Expensive models.
Sorcerer probably wants to get close, so he can melt some face.
They may have a 4+ Invulnerable save, but they fall just as easily to light arms fire.
This.

A classic 9 man (sorcerer included) squad with Doombolt and Rhino is almost 300 points and they certainly don't live up to the expectations you'd have towards a 300 point unit.
The Sorcerer really needs to take either BoC so the Sons won't shit themselves when something beyond T5 comes at them; WoC so they can dish out some more hurt in close range (surprise Rhino anyone?); or GoC so if they get locked in combat with something the Sorcerer can use his two castings to try and turn people to Spawns (especially when they're attacked by Assault Terminators; my lads held them up for 3 turns till they died, and of course, killed none of the Terminators :p). And then the unit cost WILL hit 300, which is pretty bad.
In the eyes of everything thats not AP3 or lower or power weapons, they're simple marines. And thus they suck balls when 1, get shot at by massed bolter/lasgun fire 2, get into close combat.

I think you'd be better off with blue CSM with two meltas and a rhino (you don't need a PF because if theres something that dares assault these guys they're fucked anyway), and of course, spam these guys. Just don't give them IoT because its the saddest icon you can give them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I play Thousand Sons as my current army. They are expensive to field and as said require A LOT of help with transportation. My full army (maxed out FoC) only contains 2 actual Thousand Sons squads, and they are both Rhino mounted. The rest Troops choices consists of regular CSM's. My explanation is that they are simply the Thousand Sons who were on the fleet ships when the Space Wolves attacked Prospero, so they weren't presesnt when Ahriman cast the Rubric spell.....BOOM. You got yourself non Rubric Thousand Sons. To model them, I got 1 Thousand Sons squad and spread the bitz through 2 10 man CSM squads. Yes, you need to go to 10.

The rest are squads equipped with IoT. I stayed away from Assualt oriented models including Raptors. Lots o tanks though!:grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts