Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Minor Vulkan Lives spoilers ahead.

From the outset the Night Lords were renowned for their fear and terror tactics. Massacring entire populations of men, women , children and even animals. Though only after they had terrified the population with a campaign of fear mongering and intimidation. They were even credited with causing 14% of a population to die of sheer fright. Word of the Night Lords arriving in system was sometimes more than enough to cause an insurrection to stop outright.

These tactics seemed unnecessary to some. Brutal, violent shock tactics were needed many times through the heresy but the Night Lords took it one step further. Why?

The Night Lords enjoyed it that's why. Recruited from the most violent of cultures imaginable the youths who were chosen had spent their short lives in fear, fighting for survival not against alien monstrosities but the monster inside each man. Even with the arrival of Curze the "Night Haunter" they were raised to believe that fear was the only true power.

Like a child who is bullied and eventually grows up to be strong he becomes a bully himself. Lifted from the squalor and daily turmoils of Nocturnean life these children were made powerful, given the most awe inspiring weapons and made top of the food chain. They revealed in their new found power and discovered it was their turn to be feared.

Curze despised the preying of the weak, initially. Yet as the Great Crusade and eventually the Heresy continued he began to be the one who did this. His legion would take pleasure in massacring entire cities (such as Kaaratan in Vulkan Lives) to set examples to others, even their fellow legions. Curze became and allowed his legion to become that which he despised.

Curze did this intentionally. Like "Batman" Curze knows that the fear of reprisals from someone with no rules, who will go beyond what is necessary and do unspeakable things is more of a deterrent than simple military action. The threat of shadows in the night capturing your children with nothing you can do about it is worse than the threat of a battle. Even against Astartes.

Curze sacrificed himself and his legion to become what he believed the Imperium needed. Even though it led him to hate himself and his legion.

Curze seeks constant validation for his actions and justification for his deeds, his persecution of Vulkan and his obsession with forcing him to admit that he too is a monster proves this. "You were not special" Curze said to him "you were just there". Curze would have taken any of his brother Primarchs. As long as he could validate his deeds.

In the end though Curze knows he is a monster. He is what he hated. He hates his legion of vicious murderers and he wants to be punished. Letting the assassin M'Shen validate him in death.

The very need of his execution proving him right in his own twisted mind. The very act of needing to punish the monster proving that he was right all along. Getting that in death which he strove for in life.

"What is death next to vindication" said he.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Nice "focus". I'll wait for some more!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you, I am going to try and spread the love between different aspects of 40k though Legions and various marines (loyal and chaos) will likely feature slightly more often due to there being more material on them.

Edit: Well. I will depending on the feedback this gets. If its a dud I won't bother lol.

·
Registered
341 Posts
it did indeed come across as a broken wisdom that eventually he himself would pay for his sins, just as those he persecuted did.

however the major flaw in his execution of this plan was that he let his legion live on, to do his work (for 10000 years now). so if he was worthy of being killed, why not them ? I dont think he had a father-son bond with them, he almost despised them. I think it is in the night lords series he's quoted as saying that he doesnt care what becomes of them, because he doesnt care for them.

but of course, its a pretty dry reason (from a GW POV) to kill off a whole legion just because their primarch thinks they need punishing. they would never go down that path, they dont have George Martin's balls.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think he just didn't care about his legion to the point where he wasn't bothered if they survived or not.

In fact I think he sowed the seeds of their fracturing by naming more than one person his successor and dividing up his gear.

(Thanks for the post, hopefully you generate some discussion!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts