Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never used these before, always been self conscious when it comes to using them as I'm used to large monsters in normal fantasy getting owned rather quickly and kind of came to uninformed conclusion it was the same in 40k.

So I was wondering whats the best way to use them, I've got a bloodthirster that I've had for a while now but never used and fancy trying it out but I don't know the best way to use them. Should I just have him jump 12" every turn or is it best to fly which I'm not familiar with either.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Much like almost anything in the game, they are often best fielded in multiples. One FMC will get focused down and killed. Having two or more will ensure that at least one or two will survive till they get into combat.

With the changes the the FMC rules, they can no longer charge after switching movement modes, making turn 2 charges much harder. If your FMC is shooty, I'd keep them in the air. As for one that assault, I cannot say. Swooping them turn 1 will keep them safer from enemy shots, but opens them up on turn two as they have to wait till they charge.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
@The Sturk has it right. Imo, the only viable cc FMC is the nurgle daemon prince. with a 2+ cover save on the jump he can charge unschated in turn 2. the other FMC are now best uset for that even flyby attack and shooting / psyking.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks, if I did use the bloodthirster then it's better to keep him jumping so he can charge freely right? I'll look into getting a nurgle daemon prince, how come it has 2+ cover?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
yes, jumping is better altough you will be shot better :laugh:
The Nurgle Daemon rule gives you shrouded. a FMC can Jink even if gliding. So if you jink to a 4+ cover, you benefit from the shrouded rule, going to 2+. Not jinking he still have a 5+ cover. But since you want him in cc, who cares about the snapshot thing.
The jink can be used even by the bloodthister, mind you. So he will not be so defenseless, just less reliable on getting in melee unschated.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Note that you can't jink when you've landed. So best case scenario:

Turn 1: Swoop a long distance. Get shot by enemies with Skyfire, and rapid-firing small arms. Jink for a 4++.

Turn 2: Drop to normal mode. Get shot by all enemies freely. No Jink.

Turn 3: Move and Assault. Get shot by Overwatch. Potentially fail the charge. Probably win the combat and have enemy run away. Get shot again after consolidation.

Turn 4... You've probably won or lost the game by now. Assuming your FMC survived this long.

Personally, if you don't have a decent set of ranged weapons/psychic powers I wouldn't even use them offensively. I'd keep them on the ground, hidden, guarding a valuable unit that's taking an objective or something. Use them as a counter-charge unit and to prevent aggressive play by Wraithknights or Riptides.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Note that you can't jink when you've landed
I've to call you a liar on this :laugh:
FMC's have on their rules Jink. Nowhere on the book says that they have to swoop or that they are limited into their jink use. That was 6th ;)
Right now, you can jink whenever you want!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
That'll probably get FAQ'd really quickly (by GW standards) otherwise 2++ Nurgle Princes are very strong melee threats. I don't have the rulebook yet so can't be more precise.

·
Registered
773 Posts
They aren't 2++, it is a 2+ cover save. So doesn't work in melee. It is just the fact they can get to melee without getting hit to much.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
They aren't 2++, it is a 2+ cover save. So doesn't work in melee. It is just the fact they can get to melee without getting hit to much.
and that is a fix to the OMG TOO SHOOTY AN EDITION rant that lasted for more than a year with 6th ed. now you can get FMCs and bikers in cc reliably (other guys still get a 4+ so not bad!)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Jumping seems the most sensible way to use a non nurgle CC FMC. The only situations I could imagine using a turn to swoop would be if there isn't line of sight blocking terrain you can jump to on T1 and it's obvious your FMC is going to get gunned down, but there is LOS blocking terrain within a swoop move. It could keep something like a daemon prince alive for a later charge once you've killed/assaulted some of the enemy shooting units. That seems like a pretty lame scenario

Alternatively I suppose if your opponent has lots of good shooting but no anti air you might want to keep your FMC out of the game for a turn or two until a better chance to land appears. Not a very good situation either to be honest.

I really dislike this new swooping rule

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
swooping is only useful for ML3 princes that want to stay out of trouble and cast cast cast!
Or nice if you have to use them as antiair, a thing sometis you will be forced to do

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
and that is a fix to the OMG TOO SHOOTY AN EDITION rant that lasted for more than a year with 6th ed. now you can get FMCs and bikers in cc reliably (other guys still get a 4+ so not bad!)
Yes--to fix a too-shooty edition they made it so that you can't charge with an FMC the turn after swooping and so that an FMC DSing in must swoop, effectively nerfing every non-nurgle melee FMC to the point of unusability. A great fix to a too-shooty edition--ruining the one unit type that could still reliably get into combat, with Nurgle DP's as the one exception.

...yeah, I'm a bit bitter.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Well if you want a melee alternative to FMCs then Land Raiders are now very attractive with the new damage chart. They laugh off everything Tau can throw at them (even Farstrike only has a 1/6 chance to blow one up when he hits) apart from Fusion Blasters, and Eldar just have Wraithknights that are seen with any regularity. And two squads of Hammernators royally screw over both armies.

I appreciate that doesn't help Nids or Daemons that much though...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
well, now FMC are just not auto include anymore. I think that anything that makes something not-auto win is a good thing.
but i agree on the fact that the nerf bat was too hard on cc monsters, making only viable shooty ones, in a competititve ambient.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
in fact, biomancy FMC are a thing. probably the only viable way to get in melee or near

1 - 20 of 26 Posts