Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok not sure where this would go but anyways.

After having a discussion with my lovely about various kit bash ideas, somehow the topic of terminator armor got brought up and the possibility of a suit of termie armor coming equipped with a jump pack of sorts.

So my question to you fellow heretics is what are your thoughts on this?
More specifically how awesome (or stupid) do you think this is, how one would model such a thing, and pretty much anything else you can think to say on it (rules, fluff, etc, etc)

Personally I think the idea is cool, but highly impratical. Which is saying something when it comes to 40K. To actually work I think it would take two maybe three jump packs, or one about the size of three of them. Plus i think with the restrictions of movement that termie armor has i think hurtling thru the air might be a bad thing for the user, even if they did hit like a baneblade's main battle cannon on landing. Then then the sillier part of my mind then imagines a Terminator embedding him self into the side of a ork stompa. That or something out of a Wil E Coyote cartoon with an exploding jump pack.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
It would be retardedly silly but if you really wanted to model it I would say take the top central pillar part of a drop pod and glue it to the back. Then take those fans that go on the bottom of the DP and add them to the legs. Maybe add some wings of some sort also.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I'd say custom fit a jump pack with an extra tube or two attached, then glue it to the back. I'd like to see that.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Use the engines off the storm talon. They might produce enough thrust. Thing is, because of the terminators reduced mobility he is practically a passenger, might as well put him in a pod as a passenger, or a thunder hawk. They teleport anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I'm afraid you'll be hard put to find a justification for them in the fluff or the rules. Good luck though. Perhaps you can model some 'etherial' wings for them using coloured, transparent plastics that can click on, click off for when your librarian summons them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Terminators do not "telport". THe models are placed on the table by their controlling player, then roll some dice to see where they are placed. How they appear is described as telporting, but that is just a description and has not effect on the ingame mechanics. Some models that deep strike are described as coming down from above the battlefield, or burrowing from underneath. I think its fine that one chapter might have drop-troops in terminator armour.

Remember, its just a game, made up by a bunch of nerds in Nottingham. Its not right or real. Only the enjoyment of the hobby is real, so players should try to have as much fun as possible with their models. Jump thrusters on terminators? Great.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Terminators do not "telport". THe models are placed on the table by their controlling player, then roll some dice to see where they are placed. How they appear is described as telporting, but that is just a description and has not effect on the ingame mechanics. Some models that deep strike are described as coming down from above the battlefield, or burrowing from underneath. I think its fine that one chapter might have drop-troops in terminator armour.

Remember, its just a game, made up by a bunch of nerds in Nottingham. Its not right or real. Only the enjoyment of the hobby is real, so players should try to have as much fun as possible with their models. Jump thrusters on terminators? Great.
wow! kinda missed the point on this didnt you:grin:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
It's his first time playing slow pitch out of the t-ball league :laugh:

Welcome to Heresy, Ramshackle!

This sounds like Mega Nobz with rokkits on der back to me, though artificer armour and a jump pack would have the same in game reality would it not?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I would think raven guard might invest in some jumpnators
I would think they would be like thrusters were thier exhausts are on the back
The fluff could be it works by storing the exhausts and blowing them all at once to send the giant cuddly ball of adamantine death hurtling towards the squishes at maximum hug setting!!!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
For what it's worth, if you check my signature for Zakariah Artos, I created a Special Grey Knight homebrewed character that did this. There was a MASSIVE argument about it, but in the end most people decided that for I believe 60 points you could have the same stats as a Paladin, for a Terminator with a Personal Teleporter, but you lost all access to things like guns and options. You'd have to read the thread to get it all.

I'd say actually jump packs are infeasible for something the size of Tactical Dreadnought Armor. However, Warp Shunts from a Personal Teleporter could work for the same result.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The fluff could be it works by storing the exhausts and blowing them all at once to send the giant cuddly ball of adamantine death hurtling towards the squishes at maximum hug setting!!!

roll for instakill squish?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I can hear the battle cries now. "I'm gonna hug the shit out of you!!!!!!!!"

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
I like the idea, and do not see how it is impractical, after all Corax a primarch had a jump pack, and a terminator is still smaller than a primarch in power armor, and if we can have centurion models the worst s.m models i.m.o, then a jump pack terminator would be a welcome relief.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If a riptide, or possibly a wraith knight can jump, surely a termie can?
Or if a droppod can slow itself from an orbital drop to land 'safely' then the same thrust could surely enable it to take off again right? As it's no longer counter acting huge downwards velocity. Or maybe they just reverse the polarity on a grav gun and launch themselves with a gravity bubble, like a landspeeder I imagine?

PS do you guys like my new avatar? I'm not set was wondering what you guys though, sorry for the randomness but better to highjack my own post than a thread right?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
PS do you guys like my new avatar? I'm not set was wondering what you guys though, sorry for the randomness but better to highjack my own post than a thread right?
Looks good to me. The gif works perfectly.

back on topic. Maybe a terminator with a modified crisis suit jumppack? Im sure a more radical thinking tech marine could salvage one and give it a more imperium touch. I think if they can make jump packs that can be used by a primarch then i think one for a terminator wouldnt be too far fetched. difference in armor aside of course.

damn ninjaed by Oldman

I like the idea, and do not see how it is impractical, after all Corax a primarch had a jump pack, and a terminator is still smaller than a primarch in power armor, and if we can have centurion models the worst s.m models i.m.o, then a jump pack terminator would be a welcome relief.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I cant see a problme with modeling Terminators with jump packs. What to use though it s a trickier question. How about a single engine from a land speeder. It would take some modeling but could look pretty effective.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
So let's separate two things; can you do it and should you?

Can you: Yeah. I mean if Matt Ward can say that, although the warp tears apart ships lost in it and all the crew get mauled by untold daemons, one lone Grey Knight can walk around, unharmed and wreak untold havoc on the realms if chaos (how does one guy burn down Nurgle's garden?), then you can have flying terminators. Have a conventional Jump pack, give them feet thrusters like Iron Man, give them a local anti-grav field, personal teleporters, any would work.

Should you: Two things to consider:

1) Points cost; if they are costed fairly and your opponent is happy to play against them, go nuts. I wouldn't have a problem as you would pay more for them, meaning there are less terminators for me to have to kill and the same amount of guns to shoot them with. However, everyone might not feel the same.

2) Will it look good?; This is up to you. Do you care if they look good and if so are you prepared to put the effort in to make them look good. However, on this forum I've seen some epic conversions and would love to see another one.

Basically, if you want to make them, I see no reason that you can't. Worst comes to worst and your opponent won't let you use them, you have some awesome looking models. If you can use them with their jump pack, double win!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts