Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me its the emperor being the result of a shaman suicide fest, the old rogue trader era fluff stinks of eighties sci fi/fantasy lol.
Please god make the shaman origin no longer be considered canon, its just so corny.

Just rly wondering what parts of 40k fluff you hate and discard in your own minds version of 40kverse, for me its the shaman thing as already said. Also the statement that slaanesh was made by the eldar. Afterall dersire and excess already existed independently of the space elfs and a desire/pleasure entity would have form beforehand anyway.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Just rly wondering what parts of 40k fluff you hate and discard in your own minds version of 40kverse, for me its the shaman thing as already said. Also the statement that slaanesh was made by the eldar. Afterall dersire and excess already existed independently of the space elfs and a desire/pleasure entity would have form beforehand anyway.
The eldar took it to the extreme and they had an empire that was the size of the eye of terror and they are major psykers. If they didn't exist slaanesh would of formed....just would be after 40k.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interesting topic.

I've always detested how the Emperor was such a dim-witted dad, and also how he hid knowledge about the Warp gods. Honestly, how the hell did not see the HH coming?

I respectfully disagree re eldar - my understanding is that the eldar became progressively worse with their activity re excess of desire/ emotion etc over a period of time, therefore it was not just the mere presence of eldar, but there increasing activity - pleasure cults, deaths etc - that led to the creation of Slaanesh. Im over-simplifying here.

And I have to say Ive always liked the idea of the shaman birth of the Emperor -its poetic to think of our ancients being able to do something we cant, and also explains comfortably why the Emperor was a one of a kind, never to be repeated. An issue very crucial to the balance of the 40k universe.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Ardias- If Slannesh was never born, humanity on Terra would be stuck forever since the warp storms surrounding Terra would take ages to desist or stop. Also The Eldar race as a whole are psychically attuned in nature and to a higher degree more sensitive to the warp. They also feel and experience emotions at a much higher level then humanity does and can easily fall or lose control to any desires or obsessions.

Without Slannesh = no galaxy spanning human empire, Eldar race would still be the most dominant xeno's nation and their empire would probably rule for millions of more years till some other disaster befalls them. ( 40k story line would cease to exist beyond that point and GW would be out of business. Lol)

Anyways the Eldar simply speeded up the coming of Slannesh if anything. Without the Eldar Slannesh would be born millions of years later.

Darkoan- Its not like the Emperor had a "How to be a good dad" guide book to follow. lol and Like most parents, they are hardly aware of the condition there kids are in if they dont study and understand them. The Emperor never tried to understand all his children or primarchs and simply let them be and basically said "Hey you guys are the bearer of my legacy, now shut up, grow up, and conquer the galaxy for me." :p

A interesting thought has come up:

Did the beginning of psykers occur when the Emperor had many wives and mated and had kids which then had their own kids passing the psychic infused genes on to further generations?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
The eldar took it to the extreme and they had an empire that was the size of the eye of terror and they are major psykers. If they didn't exist slaanesh would of formed....just would be after 40k.
Actually their empire was galaxy-spanning, where the Eye of Terror now rests was just the 'heartland' of the empire.

As for Slaanesh being born of the Eldar, well yes obviously pleasure and excess was present prior to the decadence of Eldar civilisation - and Slaanesh has always existed within the warp to some degree. But it took the terrible extremes that the Eldar empire descended into to truly bring forth the Dark Prince.

Ardias- If Slannesh was never born, humanity on Terra would be stuck forever since the warp storms surrounding Terra would take ages to desist or stop.
The whole reason for said warp storms (A.k.a Age of Stife) in the first place was because Slaanesh was coalescing thus causing turmoil within the warp. Her birth ended the warp storms, their rage having been spent with her birth but ultimately she (via the Eldar's decadence) was the cause for them in the first place.

Without Slannesh = no galaxy spanning human empire, Eldar race would still be the most dominant xeno's nation and their empire would probably rule for millions of more years till some other disaster befalls them. ( 40k story line would cease to exist beyond that point and GW would be out of business. Lol)
Humanity was a galaxy-spanning race prior to Slaanesh bursting into divine consciousness, A.k.a Dark Age of Technology. And would generally probably be better off if it wasn't for the Age of Strife (which occured because Slaanesh was growing in power).

Did the beginning of psykers occur when the Emperor had many wives and mated and had kids which then had their own kids passing the psychic infused genes on to further generations?
No, humanity (like most if not all races fostered by the Old Ones) has always been a psychically attuned race.

As for lore I don't like or enjoy - well it's not exactly lore, but I really don't like the term 'Space Marines' it just sounds terrible. Hence why you'll always see me referring to them as Astartes; Legio or Adeptus. And I'm glad at least one BL author (ADB) agrees with me on this one and takes the same stance. :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sisters of Battle. What is there purpose but to give Ordo Hereticus something to drool over.
And what with the skintight armor?

Rouge traders. They can just make marines go with them to explore new worlds. How does that work?
"Hollo there...Mr. Ultramarine, you are comming with me now. Along with you Sr. Space Wolf. What was that? You want to serve your chapter and primarch? Tough shit, I'm your primarch, and the guy next to you is your chapter."

The Imperial Dating System. What retard thought that up?

Loken 'dieing'.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Sisters of Battle. What is there purpose but to give Ordo Hereticus something to drool over.
And what with the skintight armor?
They exist because by Imperial Decree the Ministorum can't have 'Men under Arms' so the Church obeys the letter, if not the spirit, of the law by having the Adepta Sororitas.
The armour is hardly skin tight, it's bulky power armour it just so happens that it's not as bulky as Astartes power armour.

Rouge traders. They can just make marines go with them to explore new worlds. How does that work?
"Hollo there...Mr. Ultramarine, you are comming with me now. Along with you Sr. Space Wolf. What was that? You want to serve your chapter and primarch? Tough shit, I'm your primarch, and the guy next to you is your chapter."
Except Rogue Traders can't make Astartes come with them, some Traders might have ancient pacts and binding oaths with certain Chapters but they have no authority over the Adeptus Astartes.

The Imperial Dating System. What retard thought that up?
You mean the Galactic standard dating system? Makes a great deal of sense.
A Terran standard year will be split into 1,000 equal segments, then you have the century and year followed finally by the millennium.
Example: 989997.M41- would be the 989th 'day' of the 997th year of the 41st millennium.

Loken 'dieing'.
What are you annoyed about, that he seemed to die or that he didn't actually die?
I don't understand, after all in the grand scheme of things he's not an important character.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The entire DOW2 novel. The first omnibus was shit but at least Goto didn't kill of characters that were supposed to appear in the fucking expansion. Or change nearly the entire storyline for that matter.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I hate the fluff of Space Marines bowing down to the Ultramarines. It just feels lame, like GW was tring to justify using the UMs as their poster boys.

I'm also not a fan of the fluff behind Chaos itself, it doesn't feel right. We have aspects missing, gods who should be stronger aren't, and why there is no positive warp beings.

Given how much everything in the universe changes over time, one would think that Tzeentch is the strongest god by far, yet he is not. Everytime an artisan creates something or someone feels pleasure Slaanesh gets stronger.

Why wouldn't Tzeentch, who also covers the aspect of Hope, have beings that can affect things in a positive way. Everything that he covers is mostly netural in aspect, yet he only seems to do evil things.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
We have aspects missing
Like?

gods who should be stronger aren't
Which?

and why there is no positive warp beings.
I think that's acting under the misapprehension that there are such things as 'positive' and 'negative' emotions.

Given how much everything in the universe changes over time, one would think that Tzeentch is the strongest god by far, yet he is not.
Tzeentch was once said to 'rule over all creation' and is at intervals going to be the most powerful and influential chaos god, as every one of the Four.

Why wouldn't Tzeentch, who also covers the aspect of Hope, have beings that can affect things in a positive way. Everything that he covers is mostly netural in aspect, yet he only seems to do evil things.
Again, your thinking of 'positive' from a social human perspective. That doesn't make it universal. Tzeentch as an entity acts solely to achieve wild and flippant change, as that is what his respective emotion represents pushed to it's extremes. I don't see how that makes it universally 'evil'.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Following the morality of "right" or "wrong" does not apply in the warp. To the gods doing "right" and "wrong" has no meaning since that is only applied to something with a conscience, which the gods being warp entities lack since they are not human, but merely the raw emotion that created them. Take Khorne for example, he only knows a couple things and that is War, death, and anger. He has no concept of good or evil for there is no such thing to him. Good and evil is just a perspective of whether something is just or unjust and since morality does not apply to beings who are unaware of moral law, what makes you think they would follow human logic or morality?

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
The entire DOW2 novel. The first omnibus was shit but at least Goto didn't kill of characters that were supposed to appear in the fucking expansion. Or change nearly the entire storyline for that matter.
It is a tenuous line at best whether to take DoW as canon. If anything, I would back the novels over the game, since they are actual BL publications.

Still, they aren`t the best books out there. I only really liked Tempest.

I hate the fluff of Space Marines bowing down to the Ultramarines. It just feels lame, like GW was tring to justify using the UMs as their poster boys.

I'm also not a fan of the fluff behind Chaos itself, it doesn't feel right. We have aspects missing, gods who should be stronger aren't, and why there is no positive warp beings.

Given how much everything in the universe changes over time, one would think that Tzeentch is the strongest god by far, yet he is not. Everytime an artisan creates something or someone feels pleasure Slaanesh gets stronger.

UM epitomise the codex. We know better, but the denizens of the Imperium revere them for the heroes they appear to be.

And your problem with the rest seems to be based on the idea that Chaos is evil. But I see CotE sorted that out. :)

My dislike? Is not so much with fluff, but rather lack of...

We are Necrons. We`re older than you. We`re more deadly than anything else in existence. We hate everything. Fuck you.

Seriously, a little expansion would be nice.

I`m trying, but I`d like to see something official. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It is a tenuous line at best whether to take DoW as canon. If anything, I would back the novels over the game, since they are actual BL publications.
Whether it's more canon than the games or not, it still sucked monkey ass. Tempest was the best one for me as well, probably because there was less for Gotto to fuck around with. I'm still laughing at the marine-in-a-month technique though.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Any Ork fluff that's meant to be funny.
What? how can you hate funny ork quotes?? o_O

As for the whole good/evil thing. If it was actually Chaos then it wouldn't be that all daemons enjoy ripping into the material world and killing things. I can see certain aspects of each god wanting to kill, as in nurgle's plaugues, slaanesh's need to experience it, Khorne's need to murder and war, and tzeentch's need to change things even into abominations. But you never see in fluff what would balance out that so called "chaos" or the things that would reflect the things above, Ie: Khorne having war meetings instead of just plain old slaughtering; Slaanesh feeling love and caring for living things instead of just twisting everything beyond reason; nurgle curing his plagues as well as casing them; and tzeentch changing unpleasant things into pleasant.

of course this is a war game, so I really don't care, but if they were fleshed out properly then this so called "chaos" would reflect all aspects and not just the (by human perspective) "evil ones".

Also I hate how there is no background info on nids in the dex, where they came from ect... It always just shows it from the Imperium of Man's perspective, and never shows more than what they know which is really annoying (necrons too). Races like tau and orks etc... have there own civilization so you can take things from there point of view so you get a more in depth look. Nids have feelings too... :(

·
The Apathetic one.
580 Posts
I remember when Tau first came out, and I read thier codex, I had an instant, complete and utter hatred for them and thier Greater good, it was so bad, If I was allied with a Tau player in a non-competitive game, I would start shooting my own ally with my guardsmen.

ohh..... I hated tau and thier whole BS feel good storyline of BS.... though I hear it isn't like that anymore.... I still really hated that fluff.... and I still hate the army.

·
Registered
322 Posts
As there is no sense of time in the warp, i.e. the cause-event-effect timeline does not hold true and the effect of an event can come before the cause. This is used to say that slaneesh has always existed, but has also never existed. (Chaos Daemons codex)

To me this is a stupid and lazy way of trying to explain away the influance and stories of the warp, like the "birth of Slaanesh"

I like the idea of the nid's quotes, but what would they say???

1 - 20 of 145 Posts