Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question from my understanding the tyrannids are just starting to attack the imperium from another galaxy so what could be harder than the imperium to make them seem like a easier target or have i just missread the background?

·
Registered
132 Posts
just a quick question from my understanding the tyrannids are just starting to attack the imperium from another galaxy so what could be harder than the imperium to make them seem like a easier target or have i just missread the background?

They're not attacking the Imperium. They're attacking the Galaxy. It's just that the Imperium controls slightly more than half of the Galaxy, so the Imperium simply is the mostly likely group for them to run into first. After that incredibly long trip through the intergalactic void, those ships are hungry so they generally don't sit back and do massive strategic analysis as to who to attack where until after they've eaten a planet or two. Most likely those were either human-inhabited or dangerously close to a human-inhabited world so they are now fighting the Imperium either way.

Basically, the only worlds they won't eat if they happen upon them first are the Necron Crypt Worlds, because the Necron disrupt the whole hive-mind thing. Or, that's what I understand from the fluff I looked up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tyranids are eating machines, there is little malevolence in what they do, they attack worlds and kill everything because its just what they do. They are moving into this galaxy from another one harvesting everything on the way.

The thing about the necrons is new to me though, what precisely is it about the necrons that upsets the hive mind?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Tyranids are eating machines, there is little malevolence in what they do, they attack worlds and kill everything because its just what they do. They are moving into this galaxy from another one harvesting everything on the way.

The thing about the necrons is new to me though, what precisely is it about the necrons that upsets the hive mind?
They have a lot of pariahs. The anti-psychic auras screw with the psychic-like control of the little ones. That and they don't always notice necrons on necron-only worlds since they are generally psychic nulls. Or, that's the explination that I got from the online commentaries.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I was thinking about this today, and discussing it with various people. We were discussing the essence of neutrality, which i believe the Orks embody most truly.

Someone mentioned the Nids and it made me think about the Hive Mind. Is the Hive Mind a controlling influence like the C'Tan? or are they, like the nids, just out to survive and eat?

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Hive Mind, as I envision it, is just the collective thoughts of all Tyranid creatures blended into a horrible whole. It controls and is generated by every functioning Tyranid cell. Unlike the C'tan, who don't care about the well-being of their Necron slaves, the Hive Mind generally strives for the improvement of the greater Tryanid race.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cheers, Soporific, that makes sense, i know jack all about necrons, dont know anyone that plays them either, I play nids with a passion, but the idea of them having a weakness upsets me :shok:

Oh well, bring on the synapse!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I always thought the nids were coming into this galaxy because they ate the last one, there isnt anything left of it. No food for them only barren worlds and so they just decided to go to another one.

In the old days, i mean waaaaaaayyyyy back when. Before the Imperium and before the rise and fall of the eldar, when the necrons were slaying the galaxy. The only thing that was their biggest threat was the warp and the psykers of the eldar (and some other races we dont know about) who used it to try and defeat the necrons. As i understand it the c'tan and the warp are polar opposites to one another. It's the only thing the c'tan really worry about. So the c'tan, after waking up in the 41st and finding a universe of creatures that can use the warp in large numbers, came up with the pariah necrons who are basically souless. Their very presence screws with the warp and beings who are warp sensitive. They are a psychic abomination. So as the hive mind uses the warp to keep control within the ranks any contact with necron forces isnt productive. So they just hop round those planets.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's unfortunate for the Tau that the Tyranids have other methods for finding prey than my its psychic signature. If they didn't the Tau would be safe since they have no real presence in the warp. Also, I'd go so far as to say that it's not that the 'nids don't notice the Necrons, it's just that they don't care. No biomass? No interest.

Another things is that they Tyranids have been attacking this galaxy, or at least feeling it out, for several thousand years. We've got Genestealers, which people thought were native, before that there's various seed races on several death worlds that seem to be orphaned 'nid derivatives. And then there's the Zoats, if anyone remembers them, but there's a bit of debate about them, whether they were actually refugees fleeing from the hive fleet or some sort of intelligent scout organism sent to examine the inhabitants of this galaxy before the 'nids strike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
All i kno bout tyranids is that they run around te universe killing what they can and destroying worlds at a time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Alot of why the Tyranids do anything is a mystery. It is hinted at and suggested that the unknown Hive minds that control the Hive are more than just mindless eating machines.

As while some of their kind are mindless drones many are driven by their own will. Perhaps a byproduct of consuming more intelligent beings.

So in a sense they are like Aliens (off the movie). Mindless killing machines on one hand yet collectively they posses a highly intelligent side.

Adapting physically, mentally, and tactically to all threats. Which is why I tend to get annoyed when people assume the only "fluffy" tyranid force is a CC run straight at them technique.

Such a entity in my mind always strives for effeciency. Having encountered the many forces of the Imperium it only makes sense that some fleets would have evolved a more ranged approach to counter that of their prey.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
the 'nids are looking for biomass that they can eat. so they are looking for inhabited or "living" worlds. the necrons are in stasis on "dead" worlds so the nids would not bother with investigating the planet. it would be like just eating a huge, bare rock.
the nids may not even know the necs are there.

·
Banned
280 Posts
the 'nids are looking for biomass that they can eat. so they are looking for inhabited or "living" worlds. the necrons are in stasis on "dead" worlds so the nids would not bother with investigating the planet. it would be like just eating a huge, bare rock.
the nids may not even know the necs are there.
Not true, Necrons are in stasis on many worlds with various levels and types of life.

For example the Void Dragon and his armies supposedly reside on Mars.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Although Mars, as it is today, qualifies as a dead world.

If you need justification for Necrons and Tyranids to fight over a tomb world for some reason, though, consider this.

While Tyranids may be looking for biomass, it's still possible that they'd stop at a dead world that was rich in certain mineral resources. There are lifeforms that sift mineral particulate from dirt or water, so it seems reasonable that if there's nothing immediately consumable for the Tyranids, but they could extract mineral nutrients from a dead world, they might be interested-- particularly if there are possible signs of civilization. Not all Tomb Worlds are particularly well hidden... some of them do have rather obvious Necrontyr structures on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts