Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if fluff mistakes in BL books would make you stop reading particular book or series? would it prevent you from purchasing particular book or series? would it prevent you from purchasing books from the same author? in short words - are you fluff purist to the inquisitorial extreme or just mistakes make you only angry that author should pay more attension to wh40k lore?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I dont think ive ever seen a lore mistake in the BL novels. The authors prepare quite painstakingly to write them, going over source materials, older novels that cover similar subjects, asking other authors for lore advice.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i go by the creed that everyone has a unique interpretatrion of the 40k world, as long as they stick to the traitors and the loyalsts for example whos to say that a word bearer may not suddenly develope a conscience and try to right a wrong, it wouldn't stop me reading a book unless they were totally way off base and nothing made actual sense like descent of angels imho

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
A Word Bearer may not suddenly develope a conscience and try to right a wrong.
Actually that semi-happened in one of Ben Counter's novels Daemon World, one of the characters was a Word Bearer who turned his back on Chaos. Although he was still selfish and ruthless and didn't have a conscience but he did work to strike against Chaos.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
hmm thanks for that LOTN i have got deamon world just not got round to reading it yet what with all the HH stuff that came out will have to read it

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
This is one area that I think will be endlessly debated...

My take on it is this falls along the lines of both LotN and Gothik. When author's write for Black Library, it's not as though the great minds-that-be do not check it for accuracy. While there are some certain dramatic licenses taken... these are primarily to both keep the world "fresh" and the tales different, not as a "THIS IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE DAMMIT!"

BL has also been quite adamant that the Imperium is a fething big place. Just because Imperial Guard do something in the Ultima Segmentum doesn't mean they act the same way, or are even structured the same way as someone in the Segmentum Solar.

The same goes for Chaos. The decision to fall is really something that each individual Legionnaire/traitor made on his own, despite any sort of pressures placed on him from the outside world/immaterium. Therefore, if these reasons are not satisfied or found to be false, it would make sense to turn your back on something that let you down, whether it be the Imperium or Ruinous Powers.

Wow, fucking tangent.

Anyways, think of the Codicies (is that even a word? Firefox says no...) as one aspect, the "by-the-book" side of the Imperium/lore. However, distinct differences exist because every single human being/Space Marine/Chaos Marine/Ork or whatever is not stamped out of the same mold. Each character, each segmentum, is shaped from experiences/historical necessity, and act accordingly.

But yeah... this started out as a coherent message and turned into a ramble. So if this shit doesn't make sense... yeah sorry.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mike Lee’s apparent lack of effort at any attempt to write a convincing, interesting or even mildly accurate description of Astelan in Fallen Angels or in any way give the impression he had even read Angles Of Darkness, means I will not buy any more of his books. Fallen Angels was the first and it will be the last.

If Fallen Angels had even been slightly entertaining in that he created a more interesting story than that in Angels of Darkness, then I may have overlooked some of his above transgressions. But I personally, I thought it was crap, so no more Mike Lee for me.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
True or false as that may be, he also made no fluff errors (that I can think of, but it has been a while since I read it) in the book. Uninteresting and wrong are two compleeetely different topics :p

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
If Fallen Angels had even been slightly entertaining in that he created a more interesting story than that in Angels of Darkness, then I may have overlooked some of his above transgressions. But I personally, I thought it was crap, so no more Mike Lee for me.
Dont let that prevent you from getting Malus Darkblade if you venture into WFB, its an excellent series co-written by Dan Abnett and Mike Lee. Together they've done an amazing job.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
and thats why i thin Gav Thorpe should have written the Dark Angels HH series in my opinion he has a grasp of thier secrective nature and its esay flowing and enjoyable to read whereas scanlon and lee i found very difficult to get into and ther was no realt detail as to why lion el was sending certain troops home and keeping others, why he was growing resentful if thats the word to use of luther and co its an interesting theroy that needs to be explored and i found nothing of that in the two HH books so far in all homnesty the writers that write here can do a better job.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i do like marius novels and i think that is probably where mike lee is better suited on the fantasy side as he seems to have more of a grasp of it adn i did like nagash even if it did flit backwards and fowards

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
And thats why I think Gav Thorpe should have written the Dark Angels HH series, in my opinion he has a grasp of thier secrective nature and its esay flowing and enjoyable to read.
Well soon Gav Thorpe will be writing for the Heresy series and since he wont be writing about Eldar or Penal Legions its not a hard guess to figure out what he will write. The true Dark Angels will be returning.

·
Registered
327 Posts
BOC, in Fallen Angels Mike Lee introduces Astelan as a Terran (correctly). Later in the book he has him discussing with Zahariel how, when he was a child, he used to hunt ‘Reaver Worms’. ‘Reaver Worms’ native to Caliban and that every child of Caliban had heard of them. Well unless he took a holiday to Caliban when he was a young un, before even the Great Crusade reached there, I would say this was a ‘fluff’ error. This is even contradicting his OWN book, the SAME book! :good:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
thanks lotn can't wait for that one will probably buy it when it comes out shuit me phone off take the day off work adn lock meself away like i almost did when i read fulgrim..

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
sometimes it happens that a writer can get so carried away that he forgets what he writes i know i do sometimes adn i am not even half as talented as some of these people i'd call that a mistake on his proof readers part but yeah it is a bit annoying never the less its all part and parcal and i still found it boring

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
I think the primary problem with novels is that each author (and understandably so) writes about the certain points that they believe should be the most emphasized.

Mike Lee/Mitchel Scanlon have different ideas as to the important aspects of the Dark Angels that need to really be focused on during the Heresy. I really doubt we've seen the last DA book in the HH series as well, so perhaps something will happen down the line that will make us all say "ooooooh shit that's why they wrote the!" I doubt it... but it can't hurt to hope.

But Thorpe, while I agree that he wrote DA excellently, also had the buffer of 10,000 years between his take and the others' takes. His views and opinions of events could and SHOULD be different, as history is always in motion (ever played a game of telegraph? yeah...) and the stories that are passed on tend to at least be slightly fucked up. Not to mention, no one is still sure whether or not Astelan was legitimately loyal or just a lying bastard, it's part of the whole ambiguity and appeal of his character.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
BOC, in Fallen Angels Mike Lee introduces Astelan as a Terran (correctly). Later in the book he has him discussing with Zahariel how, when he was a child, he used to hunt ‘Reaver Worms’. ‘Reaver Worms’ native to Caliban and that every child of Caliban had heard of them. Well unless he took a holiday to Caliban when he was a young un, before even the Great Crusade reached there, I would say this was a ‘fluff’ error. This is even contradicting his OWN book, the SAME book! :good:
I stand corrected :) I can't lie, I didn't enjoy the book at all and breezed through it as quickly as possible, so I more than likely missed any errors there may have been :p

Even then, it's technically a proof-reading error (and a pretty damn big one) as opposed to an aberration against established lore. It's important to keep the two distinguished.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
and dark angels on the whole i think seeing as they have a habit of leaving the forces they are allied with in the lurch of a "fallen" is discovered and did anyone ever find out who the hell cypher was?? things seem to have gone quiet on that front

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
True but remember that before the Great Crusade, when the colonies of man were established that many animals were taken from Terra to be re-seeded on other worlds. Reaver Worms would have been native to Terra and then imported to Caliban.

·
Registered
327 Posts
True but remember that before the Great Crusade, when the colonies of man were established that many animals were taken from Terra to be re-seeded on other worlds. Reaver Worms would have been native to Terra and then imported to Caliban.
Nice try Lord of the Night
But ‘Reaver Worms’ “were a menace to human settlements, transforming small animals and livestock into living incubators for their eggs”. Sometimes humans were used for this apparently. Their queens were also considered to be related to Caliban’s Great Beast problem. I think its unlikely they were re-seeded from Terra.

I stand corrected :) I can't lie, I didn't enjoy the book at all and breezed through it as quickly as possible, so I more than likely missed any errors there may have been :p

Even then, it's technically a proof-reading error (and a pretty damn big one) as opposed to an aberration against established lore. It's important to keep the two distinguished.
I take your point Boc, but the lore in Fallen Angels regarding the fall is also completely different and contradictory to Angels of Darkness . In my opinion the take in Fallen Angels is much poorer. If it had been better then I could have forgiven this.

Well soon Gav Thorpe will be writing for the Heresy series and since he wont be writing about Eldar or Penal Legions its not a hard guess to figure out what he will write. The true Dark Angels will be returning.
I really hope Gav Thope does a Dark Angles HH book. I have really enjoyed his work with them so far . There is just about enough wriggle room from Fallen Angles to tidy up the mess.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts