Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just wondering what y'all thought about death company, sanguinary guard and sanguinor with regards to painting them as flesh tearers. I'm having trouble trying to make them stand out in my FT army without them looking just like blood angels. Anyway, let me know what you think

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Paint them the same way you would the rest of your army, just make the crosses black instead of red.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i see where you're coming from, but i want a definate separation between them and the rest of my army. Im currently leading towards a glossy, almost ceramic style grey on my san. Guard, but the death company have me stumped

·
Registered
107 Posts
you can try replacing the black with white, so the DC will be white with red, or you could try red with white

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Hmm, it's a hard one. White has been done, but that's probably the only colour that will make them stand out.
You could try silver for the Sang Guard but they might end up looking like Grey Knights. What about metallic red? I haven't seen metallic space marines for quite some time.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Metallic red sounds awesome, but how would you get metallic red?
Mix up Scab Red with a little bit of Boltgun Metal (or equivalents if you use a different paint range). Use that as a basecoat, and then with your highlights include a tiny bit of either Boltgun Metal, Chainmail, or Mithril Silver (depending on highlight) to add that metallic effect.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
a different way to do it is to buy gloss & paint it over the basic red. it makes it shiny. however do note that its just a flat red that's shiny, no depth so highlighting may be required

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
You COULD just buy metallic red paint, as Delta Ceramacoat makes a nicely pigmented red that's probably on sale at most craft/hardware stores, or even online (Saw some on eBay...)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Metallic red sounds awesome, but how would you get metallic red?
Search for PirateMetalTroy's Project log, he painted all his marines in silver metallics and then heavily washed them with green wash. It gives a stunning result, I don't see why this wouldn't work with red wash too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
had a couple of attempts with mixing chainmail and boltgun metal into my scab red, its actually looking pretty sweet, so i think thats what im gonna use for my san. guard. the jury is still out on the death company... although im leaning towards a dark grey with red and black on them, not tried any painting yet but i will next week, as i have a week off work! yay time to get all my marines and wood elves painted up and based, (hopefully will get some pics up if i can)

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
The way i have done it in the past is to base coat the mini in Boltgun Metal, layer on some watered down red wash and then dry brush with mithril silver. Looked pretty good.
I use a similar technique, but with purple ink/wash on the the lightening claws of my wolves.

let us know how it turns out.

Rev

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
will do Rev, i'll try get some pics up too. as for the lightning claws of your wolves, talk me through your process, got a little squad of fenrisians on the go myself!

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Well i use two methods depending on how big a character they are or how lazy i am :)

Lazy:
paint boltgun metal, wash with badab black, wash with purple ink or wash (i still have some of the old inks which i prefer on this occasion), then dry brush mithril silver. Quick and easy

Wolf Lord/Character:
Undercoat black, use many many thin layers of Liche purple, fading from purple at the tip to black at the base of the claw, then a final highlight of 50/50 tentacle pink/liche purple along the edges. sometimes i wash over this with watered down purple wash to blend the highlight in a bit. Takes a while but looks good (i think anyway)

My Spacewolves are mainly grey and red so i use purple on any power weapons/claws/frost blades just to make them stand out a bit. Could look good on your Flesh Tearers too?

Hope that helps

Rev

·
Registered
4,634 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The old article of FT army in white dwarf had them as a medium tone grey, with typical chapter markings/crosses etc, made a nice contrast with the dark reds.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well ive tried a couple of my death company in a vallejo grey this week, thought it was cool, so i think im gonna go with that. Didnt get as much done as i planned with my week off work, (ice hockey season started this week) but hopefully get a solid 2 days painting with my days off this week! Watch this space!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts