Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all I've been off the 40k grid for a while and thought I would try and write a new competative list. C&C greatly appreciated...

HQ

Libby w/Rage(for soft targets) and Sword(armor, ICs, and MC) 100pts

Elites

Furioso Dread w/Blood Talons 125pts
move up the field behind LRR

2x Priests 100pts

Troops

RAS x10 w/PF and Melta x2 235pts
LRR as Dedicated Transport 205pts
Runs with Libby and Priest

RAS x10 w/PF and Melta x2 250pts
Rhino

Tac Squad w/Flamer and ML 220pts
Rhino
Combat sqauds on home objectives w/priest; 5 man ML team on overwatch w/Priest and Flamer team inside rhino near by for counter charge

Fast Attack

LS Tornado w/HBs x2 180pts
Multi purpose long range anti tank/horde

Baal w/AssCan and HB sponsons x2 290pts

Heavy support

Pred w/AC and LasCan Sponsons 135

That leaves me ten points left over and I can't decide if I want a HF for Dread or MM for the LRR. Or just scratch the dread for another AC/Las Pred, I just feel a little light on CC without the dread. Thanks fof looking :victory:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I think I'm going with the MM for the LRR for the extra anti tank insurance.

I guess the list is really good or too bad to even comment on, any thoughts would be helpful... :victory:

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Huh, thats weird; usually when you have competitive in the title the usual crop of people are all over it. Maybe the list is indeed perfect? At any rate, I'll at least comment on it, maybe pass on an idea or suggestion you find you like. Competitive is not my main game, but my experience can be helpful.

HQ
Libby w/Rage(for soft targets) and Sword(armor, ICs, and MC) 100pts
Looks pretty good, decent unit this one

Elites
Furioso Dread w/Blood Talons 125pts
move up the field behind LRR
Personally I would suggest a drop pod for this guy, fast armies can wind up negating the whole behind the land raider, and you can force the land raider to have to move slower than it might normally want to.

2x Priests 100pts
Good choice, always nice to be able to augment your troops with some feel no pain.

Troops
RAS x10 w/PF and Melta x2 235pts
LRR as Dedicated Transport 205pts
Runs with Libby and Priest
A bit expensive for my taste, but overall looking good; maybe consider a regular land raider for some anti-tank firepower or a crusader. The redeemer's loadout is not as good in my experience.

RAS x10 w/PF and Melta x2 250pts
Rhino
I would very much suggest dropping a marine or two and sticking the priest in with this squad over five tactical marines. Yeah you lose the second melta but this close combat unit would benefit the priests buffs more.

Tac Squad w/Flamer and ML 220pts
Rhino
Combat sqauds on home objectives w/priest; 5 man ML team on overwatch w/Priest and Flamer team inside rhino near by for counter charge
With the points from the above suggestion, I would advise making this unit into a third assault squad of the same setup. A lone missile launcher is not going to do that much damage over the course of the game, and five guys with a flamer is like giving points away. They have to get close enough to assault or be assaulted and they have no good way of killing stuff when in combat.

Fast Attack
LS Tornado w/HBs x2 180pts
Multi purpose long range anti tank/horde
Interesting choice, seeing as a pair of Baals are taking up your other slots I'd very much leave these as is. Maybe drop them for a second heavy predator and a third priest.

Baal w/AssCan and HB sponsons x2 290pts
Like them, would change nothing in regards to these guys

Heavy support
Pred w/AC and LasCan Sponsons 135
Kind of out there, not the setup but the fact that its a lone pred (because the Baals do need to move in closer and this one does not.) I'd suggest getting a second so its not as lonely and more armour can be dealt with.

·
Registered
990 Posts
This army is fine for fun but in no way competitive. Darkreaver makes some good comments, I'll just run quickly (& bluntly) over this as I'm tired.

HQ is fine.

Elites. A single Furioso Dread footslogging, are you serious? I'd drop this guy, he adds nothing to your list & why pay for AV13 if you're going to hide it behind AV14? Tyranids can shoot him anyway. If you want these dudes then make the army about them, this means lots of them in pods with podding support units.

Priests, fine.

Troops. Don't put RAS in a LRR, firstly a LRR needs a scary unit in it, TH/SS Terminators will do nicely, DC will do, hell even Vanguards, otherwise people will just ignore it (that's what I'd do). You see, this LR variant is very close ranged & if it doesn't have a very scary HtH unit in it why would your opponent even shoot at it? Even with a Priest & a Librarian with Unleash Rage (which takes you into silly points realm) I just feel that this is a glass hammer & other uber units will absorb your charge & then kill you back (because RAS aren't an elite killer unit, DC would work better since you could give them a few power weapons).

For the points you could spend I'd consider;

LRR with 6 TH/SS Terminators (or 5 if you want a Priest in with them - nice).
LRR with 7 or 8 DC, 1PF & 2-3PWs led by Chaplain or Reclusiarch.

Tactical is ok but you'd be better off with another RAS & get points somewhere for Scouts to camp, 10 men to get a missile launcher isn't points effective.

Fast, fine. I'd take a third Baal or something with multi meltas on.

Heavy, fine too. It could do with a friend so consider a pair.

Main place this list falls down for me is; 1) the Furioso & 2) the RAS in LRR.

Good luck,
Dallas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts