Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I've been flirting with the idea of using both jump pack equipped models and transport vehicles in the same list since I've done lists that go to one extreme or another.

1850 Pts - Blood Angels Roster

HQ: Reclusiarch (1#, 155 pts)
1 Reclusiarch @ 155 pts (...in Power Armour)
1 ...in Power Armour (Jump Pack)

HQ: Librarian (1#, 110 pts)
1 Librarian @ 110 pts (...in Power Armour; Shield of Sanguinius; Unleash Rage)
1 ...in Power Armour (Hand Flamer)

: Honour Guard (6#, 250 pts)
1 Honour Guard @ 250 pts (Blood Champion; Honour Guard; Honour Guard; Razorback)
1 Blood Champion
1 Sanguinary Novitiate
1 Honour Guard (Meltagun x1)
2 Honour Guard
1 Razorback (Extra Armor; Twin Linked Assault Cannon)

Troops: Assault Squad (9#, 220 pts)
6 Assault Squad @ 220 pts (Remove Jump Packs; Meltagun; Rhino)
1 Assault Marine with Meltagun (Remove Jump Packs)
1 Sergeant (Remove Jump Packs; Bolt Pistol; Power Fist x1)
1 Rhino (Extra Armor; Searchlight)

Troops: Assault Squad (9#, 220 pts)
6 Assault Squad @ 220 pts (Remove Jump Packs; Meltagun; Rhino)
1 Sergeant (Remove Jump Packs; Bolt Pistol; Power Fist x1)
1 Rhino (Extra Armor; Searchlight)

Troops: Assault Squad (10#, 250 pts)
7 Assault Squad @ 250 pts (Meltagun; Meltagun)
1 Assault Marine with Meltagun
1 Sergeant (Infernus Pistol x1; Power Fist x1)

Fast Attack: Attack Bike Squad (2#, 100 pts)
2 Attack Bike Squad @ 100 pts (Multi-Melta x2)

Fast Attack: Attack Bike Squad (2#, 100 pts)
2 Attack Bike Squad @ 100 pts (Multi-Melta x2)

Elite: Sanguinary Priest (3#, 205 pts)
1 Sanguinary Priest @ 205 pts (Sanguinary Priest in Power Armour; Sanguinary Priest in Power Armour)
2 Sanguinary Priest in Power Armour (Power Sword)
1 Sanguinary Priest in Power Armour (Jump Pack)

Heavy Support: Dreadnought (1#, 120 pts)
1 Dreadnought @ 120 pts (Twin Linked Autocannon; Twin Linked Autocannon)

Total Roster Cost: 1850

So the idea here is to move up the Rhinos and Razorbacks with the Assault Squad using the transports as cover. The three transports can use smoke launchers and the Librarian's Shield ability to hopefully survive the enemy's fire until I get close enough to assault. The jump pack equipped unit will probably be able to engage the enemy first, so the plan is to make them as tough as possible by including a Priest to protect them from shooting. The transport borne Assault Squads will try to help out in the next turn or go after other targets as the situation dictates while the Attack Bikes zoom after heavy tanks that need destroying while the Dreadnoughts shoot up transports and light vehicles. Every infantry squad has a Priest to keep the unit kicking for as long as possible and to grant them Furious Charge.

I'm planning on bringing this up against some fairly competitive lists (balanced Tyranids, Biker Space Marines, Sisters of Battle, Chaos, Tau and more) so please don't hold back. Tear this list apart!

Thanks!

Katie D

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
this is pretty good.

the only squad i truly don't like is the Honor Guard.

for the points you spent on those five guys, i'd rather take another RAS, Vanguard, or Sternguard.

yeah, Honor Guard are pretty cool, but IMO the choice i listed are better. another RAS would give you another scoring unit, Vanguard Vets. with Heroic Intervention and Descent of Angels has obvious advantages, and Sternguard with their special ammo + combi weaponry are multi-purpose killers.

the biggest advantage to all that however, is with any three of these units you can more than likely take more than 5 Marines.

but you know all that, so i can only assume that you took the Honor Guard for a particular reason. the list is good otherwise, and my beef with the Honor Guard is strictly preference.

good hunting.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yeah, with 3 Priests in the list swap the Honour Guard for Sternguard with combi-meltas.

Critically? 3 Rhinos & 1 Razorback won't last 2 turns at competitive 1850, smoke & shield will help a little but aside from the Dreads they're the only AV on the board, heck I even had a heavy bolter immobilize one of my rhinos last game :headbutt:. If you go first I think the list will work better but if not I guess you'd have to reserve everything against most lists?

Dallas

·
Registered
232 Posts
As been mentioned all I'd do to this list is drop the Honour Guard for Sternguard, due almost entirely on the special ammunition rules and the number of combi-meltas they can bring.

I dont think the lack of armour will be to much of a disadvantage at 1850, as sheild and smoke will limit the AT firepower for a few turns but if should only take a few turns for the units to be where you want them to be. Overall I like it, attack bikes, they are amazing at popping tanks on the fly and BA should maul most things in CC apart from the most dedicated CC units.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i'm no 40k player, but have some insight. so my question to this list is:

what's the point in taking rhinos, when all assault squads could use jumppacks, giving them an advanage in mobility?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
what's the point in taking rhinos, when all assault squads could use jumppacks, giving them an advanage in mobility?
the fact that they're out in the open, vulnerable to being shot at by your opponent.

with Blood Angels especially, removing jump packs from Assault Squads is a bonus as they then get a transport for a discount, which any more seem to be a Razorback. that allows you take a cheaper weapon platform to give you more shots against your opponent. if you're wily enough, you can hide your tank from line of sight from terrain or by another vehicle (LR, Iron Clad Dread, front armor from a Vindie, for example.

the downside: you give up a kill point. Razor/Rhino armor is as thick as tin foil so it's easy to kill relatively speaking, and too many times using smoke launchers is not very effective.

as Dallas Drake a HB immobilized one his transports, and for some the extra KP and events like Mr. Drake's are enough to dissuade some players from removing jump packs.

BACK ON TOPIC: Sorry Ms. Drake...erm, i'd love to see what decisions you make on your list. we'd love to take a looksey at your revised list, assuming of course, that you revise it.

good hunting.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Troops: Assault Squad (6#, 195 pts)
3 Assault Squad @ 195 pts (Remove Jump Packs; Meltagun; Razorback)
1 Sergeant (Remove Jump Packs; Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon x1)

Fast Attack: Attack Bike Squad (3#, 150 pts)
3 Attack Bike Squad @ 150 pts (Multi-Melta x3)

Elite: Sanguinary Priest (2#, 140 pts)
1 Sanguinary Priest @ 140 pts (Sanguinary Priest in Power Armour; Sanguinary Priest in Power Armour)
1 Sanguinary Priest in Power Armour (Power Sword)

Total Roster Cost: 1630

Alright, I dropped the Honor Guard and decided to switch over to small units in Razorbacks as I was keenly feeling the loss in firepower (since I usually run three AC Razorbacks and 2 Baal Predators). I also lost a Priest since there's no room for him in a Razorback if the Librarian is joining an Assault Squad. I now have 220 points to spend and cannot for the life of me figure out where to spend it. I considered another Assault Squad with packs, but I'm not sold on that idea yet. I also can't quite afford two Baal Predators which is really unfortunate because I really love those things and the extra models with an AV would likely extend the life expectancy of all my vehicles considerably. As for the Sternguard thing, I don't own any right now though I do have a tiny Vanguard unit... hmm.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i'd consider a long range anti-tank platform. you MM attack bikes and Rifle Man Dreads are good but IMO not enough to kill all the mech you may encounter.

you want those Assault Cannons killing squads as much as possible, since you're Razor squads are small.

personally, just because i love Marines, i'd take another RAS.

that and most opponents will be damned surprised to see FIVE scoring units at this point level for Marines.

IMO, it could be a surprise factor. opponents don't expect you to spam regular SM any point level: they expect Termies, Dreads, tanks, etc. and lastly since most of your squads are small, that extra 10 RAS may be the one thing that gets you a tie if you luck goes all to hell.

good hunting.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Troops: Assault Squad (10#, 220 pts)
7 Assault Squad @ 220 pts (Flamer; Flamer)
1 Assault Marine with Flamer
1 Assault Marine with Flamer
1 Sergeant (Melta Bombs; Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon x1)

Fast Attack: Attack Bike Squad (3#, 150 pts)
3 Attack Bike Squad @ 150 pts (Multi-Melta x3)

Elite: Sanguinary Priest (2#, 140 pts)
1 Sanguinary Priest @ 140 pts (Sanguinary Priest in Power Armour; Sanguinary Priest in Power Armour)
1 Sanguinary Priest in Power Armour (Power Sword)

Total Roster Cost: 1850

Alright, advice taken on board. Now to begin jump pack transplant surgery...

Thanks!

Katie D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Lose the EA on the RBs, they don't get helped much by it. Turn the flamers on the AS into meltaguns, lose the PWs on the RB squads and the infernus pistol, get HKMs on your RBs and consider the change to las/plas. Split the bikes up, yeah they're more kill points but who gives a fuck, they're harder to kill and can target multiple units then. Or swap them for a pair of MM/HF speeders (highly recommended). Lose the foot priest, and spend extra points on more attack bikes/speeders or HFs for the jump sarges. Hope that helps.

And lose the MBs, get him a fist.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I, personally, would shave some points somewhere & get 2 TLAC/HB Baals in there for (i) some outflanking assault cannon goodness (ii) some more anti horde shaving ability; they would also give you two scary AV13 targets & might let your razorbacks last longer....

Dallas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts