Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a classic Chaos Rhino from a friend when he came back from his hometown. He used it back~10 years ago? He tried doing some crazy stuff to it back then so I am just left with a husk pretty much.
Either way judge for yourself :p
The plan is to fix it up and convert it into a "command" rhino for my Dark Angels.

So here is the state I got it in.

As you can see bunch of pieces are missing, there is loads of glue everwhere, deep cuts from what looks like a kitchen knife?
I tried to scrape off most of it and even it out, sadly did not have any sand paper so had to ghetto it with exacto knife.

And here is a picture after doing some work with greenstuff and adding some bitz.
Made a Dark angels shield on the front using random WHFB pieces, put together a custom pintle mounted storm bolter.

And here is the result after spray painting a black base.

Sadly I got a bit of a texture on the front part of the Rhino but I hope its gonna turn alright when I paint it.
Probably gonna add quite a bit of "battle damage" weathering to make all the scratches and cuts look... reasonable?
P.S. Wait for updates :)

Attachments

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Nicely saved! :good:

My only fault is the sword handle being over the vision slot :)

When I've cleared by backlog of stuff (stop laughing @Jacobite ) I'm planning on trawling eBay for knackered old SM tanks and doing this kind of "restoration" work on them :)

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Nice work on it, the only thing I would say is to square off the edges of the icons on the top doors so they are straight. Other than that really nice work.
@Tawa: Mate I'm not laughing you know how I have to finish off as well.

·
8,723 Posts
I'm sure I heard you snicker at the back of the room :p

Seriously though, trawling for knackered old chassis' and repairing them could be a pretty fun full-time hobby project :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Pretty cool idea, only thing I've got to say is that it's bothering me that it's covering up the view port. That's it though! Good work!

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I'm sure I heard you snicker at the back of the room :p

Seriously though, trawling for knackered old chassis' and repairing them could be a pretty fun full-time hobby project :)
How do you think I ended up with so many looted wagons?

The rhino looks great, as mentioned there are just a couple of little niggles that could do with fixing but it looks great.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for the positive feedback. This is the first vehicle I painted (besides a Dread ) and first time I did "restoration" work. @Tawa @Ddraig Cymry @Dave T Hobbit
Ye I was having a problem straightening it out, and then it broke off and I liked the look of it better that way so kept it handlless.

I have some battle damage left to add and some sand/dirt on the wheels + paint the skulls nicely :good:.

My mates and I are planning to build a table for ourselves to play in uni. So I need to see what type of ground we gonna go with. Maybe deathworld with a city rubble on it. Something like black sand with volcanic crystals, dark purple? My bone painted Deathwing would stand out great on the backdround like that.

Here is a almost finished photo :), sadly Photobucket did not keep the image quality crisp. Need to figure out where is the settings for that.

·
8,723 Posts
Indeed, that is a very nice re-build :good:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts