Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as it relates to materials technology, this seemd the best forum to get an ansewer.

The handle came off my kettle a couple of days ago; specifically, it has sheared horizontally across the top of both screw holders.

It is, annoyingly, the wrong kind of plastic to bond with cement and super glue does not hold up under steam.

I am considering rebuilding with green stuff; however before I do:

(i) is it fully non-toxic?

(ii) is it viable at the boiling point of water?

(iii) does it degrade under repeated heating and cooling?

Any suggestions to make it work, or better ideas for fixing it appreciated.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Buying a new one would be my solution but if you're adamant on fixing it, I suggest this stuff:

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/index.php?id=866&pid=6937&sid=1

As well as 40K I do high power rocketry and use this stuff all the time for gluing up motor mounts/fins etc etc. It will withstand 500 degrees Farenheit and is impervious to water, petrol, chemicals and acid.

Have no idea about the properties of green stuff!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
You will probably spend more on green stuff than just buying a new one.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Unless you are a qualified electrician I strongly advise against any sort of repair work on your electrical goods. Is the safety of yourself/your family/your home worth the few bucks it cost for a new kettle?

Answer: Nope

·
Registered
246 Posts
hmm correct me if im wrong but a kettle doesnt run on electricity(almost positve the handle doesnt) thus nixing the requirement for being a qualified electrician, though that is not bad advice, though if your a good learner and good with your hands then tamper away.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Buy some oven gloves and pick it up without the handle. I've never seen anyone with a handle-less kettle. You will be the talk of the town.
You broke my keyboard....

Actually no...

I broke my keyboard spitting Jack Daniels onto it whilst pissing myself laughing...

Damn you

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Dave, GS is epoxy based. Once bonded the only way to break down epoxy is with heat. GS is definately not suitable for this application.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
tha main hassle of electrical goods disposal in the uk is the big stuff like fridges and freezers, most other items can go to the tip, as most tips have a section said goods, i know ours has

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tha main hassle of electrical goods disposal in the uk is the big stuff like fridges and freezers, most other items can go to the tip, as most tips have a section said goods, i know ours has
My nearest tip is 45 minutes walk, so even small things like florescent bulbs are a hassle. The Regulations were somewhat castrated by the retailer opt-out clause.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts