Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, the purveyors of fine douchewear known as Abercrombie and Fitch have taken some heat for publicly stating that they;ll never carry larger sizes because they don't want fat or ugly people wearing their clothes. They also burn all their factory rejects rather than donating them like most other clothing manufacturers do because they don't want grubby homeless people wearing their stuff either.

Boycots really don't work in this situation since most of the people doing the boycotting couldn't buy the product if they wanted to, but then I saw this...and almost pissed myself laughing.

I'm going to the goodwill tomorrow...

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
What makes you laugh though is that if you see the CEO Mike Jeffries...

He looks like a fat Gary Busey who's having a Wicked Witch melting moment.

So basically, the guy shouldn't be wearing his own stuff.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's remarkable how much he looks like Old Man Biff from Back to the Future.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Saw this the other day I love the idea, its fucking gold. Some people are ragging on the idea because it's "vindictive" and "destroy the company" and "A&F are doing nothing wrong"... these will most likely be the "narcissistic date rapists" mentioned in the videos I'm guessing. If you like the brand for the quality of the products whoever is wearing it won't matter to you. Same with the styling etc The only reason you could get angry about this idea would be because YOU are one of the elitest pricks who Old Man Biff is targeting in which case:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
There are also people trying to pull off the "Oh, he's calling the poor the worst people on Earth." Nowhere did I hear him even hint that that was what he was saying at all.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
It's remarkable how much he looks like Old Man Biff from Back to the Future.
I.... wait a...... :shok: AHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!! :laugh:

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
Recently, the purveyors of fine douchewear known as Abercrombie and Fitch have taken some heat for publicly stating that they;ll never carry larger sizes because they don't want fat or ugly people wearing their clothes.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O95DBxnXiSo
Actually that is not what he said.

“In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids,” he says. “Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely. Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don’t alienate anybody, but you don’t excite anybody, either.”
Also he made that statement seven years ago in an interview with a business magazine. He was asked by Salon to explain his business model and why it works. So he told the truth and now everyone wants to fry him, they want him fired, they want the evil company shut down. As well through that he was speaking to his investors. Who I am sure looking at it from a business standpoint can see nothing wrong with it.

If we had more adults who would stand up and tell kids that "this is how life works, you will face this or worse as a grown up", society would be a lot better off.

And he is absolutely accurate and truthful.

Business insider: via Margaret Bogenrief

While a specialty retailer like Abercrombie can't be expected to appeal to everyone, the brand's standard of beauty is quickly becoming stale.

Plus-sized is no longer a niche market: 67 percent of the apparel purchasing population fit that label, and the number is growing all the time.
For too long, this sizable and growing segment has been ignored," writes Margaret Bogenrief at ACM Partners. "Treated shabbily, ostracized by the “pro-skinny fashion world,” and seemingly discarded by designers, department stores, and retailers alike, plus-size fashion consumers, critics, and bloggers are taking back their spending and sartorial power and, in turn, changing both the e-commerce and retailing landscapes."

You know what I see that as? I see that as people are getting fatter and lazier and they do not want to make the effort to fit into a clothing line they want the retailer to do the work. And it also says "I cannot handle someone telling me the truth so I want anything truth like that could hurt my feelings labeled as bullying" to include a company making XXXXXL sizes so I can maneuver my body into them.

We have politically corrected and pussified this planet to death.

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Shit, I can't find a thing to wear most of the time because everything on the rack is either Small or 3XL (or larger!).

I've never understood buying something with a huge logo across it and paying to advertise for them. It's the Holy Grail of marketing when idiots will throw money at you to advertise for you.

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
Shit, I can't find a thing to wear most of the time because everything on the rack is either Small or 3XL (or larger!).

I've never understood buying something with a huge logo across it and paying to advertise for them. It's the Holy Grail of marketing when idiots will throw money at you to advertise for you.
I have honestly never had a problem finding clothes that fit. I can shop in the children's section on up but being 5' and 86lbs also has its draw backs. Like not finding styles or types. I read in passing -and will try and find the article- that there is actually a movement out there trying to get rid of size 0 and 00 in women's clothing. They say that because only 6% of the population or less are truly size zero, that all the size does is make women try to be thin thus becoming anorexic.

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
I'm 6'5" and 205 lbs. Everything is a crapshoot.
I could definitely see how that would be tough finding stuff. Not only that but stuff that fits right.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
On the sizing issue.... I'm 6ft 2 and over 200lbs. I'm at least a 2XL by default of my bone structure as a single x is too thin for my shoulders.

It is that people are getting fatter and lazier, which okay, yes they are, but humanity as a whole is getting taller and larger due to better nuitriants and diet. Your averager male now, who isn't some stickthin stringbean, but your average not overweight male is an XL. If thats your average normal human now, Not making plus sizes is frankly stupid and business suicide.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i hear that. I am 6'5" and 245 lbs. I have issues even at the big and tall here because most of their sizes are for big people and not tall. Pants/Jeans are a bitch to get. Shirts are hit or miss.
5'9, 130, can wear pretty much anything except for button-down shirts in reasonable sizes, which are a pain because of boobs/hips. Will never wear firsthand Abercrombie simply because their stores play bad music at lawn mower decibels.

Salvation army sells the same stuff for around 500% under 'retail' and their CEO thinks poor people don't wear his clothes?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
5'9, 130, can wear pretty much anything except for button-down shirts in reasonable sizes, which are a pain because of boobs/hips. Will never wear firsthand Abercrombie simply because their stores play bad music at lawn mower decibels.

Salvation army sells the same stuff for around 500% under 'retail' and their CEO thinks poor people don't wear his clothes?
lol. never been to their store. personally, paying to be any sort of walking advertisment strikes me as absurd. i was listening to cbc about this and it strikes me as more elitest crap. my favorite part is that their small sizing only applies to women. men sizes are the normal spectrum.

·
Registered
199 Posts
lol. never been to their store. personally, paying to be any sort of walking advertisment strikes me as absurd. i was listening to cbc about this and it strikes me as more elitest crap. my favorite part is that their small sizing only applies to women. men sizes are the normal spectrum.
That's how it always goes, except in some cases women get larger sizing marked smaller as a sort of subliminal compliment. I've been in there once. Picture a dimly lit bar that smells faintly of cologne and cigarettes with BADABBY DOO BOP WOP BAPPAZZY YEAAAAAAAH playing on a loop over and over at 70 dB.

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Fuck that. Everything I wear comes from Wal-Mart!

I spend my money on important things...like little plastic soldiers! :victory:

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
I like their tee shirts and the slip on shoes are cool for tooling around in. Don't really much care for the music they play or the Space Marine size pictures they have of their models. Then again I do not shop stores for their aesthetics or atmospheric music. But I can see the point I probably would not shop at a store that blasted music so loud that I felt I was at a concert.

On a side note I actually never shop at Old Navy because of the annoying advertisements via radio and add that they wold run.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
That's how it always goes, except in some cases women get larger sizing marked smaller as a sort of subliminal compliment. I've been in there once. Picture a dimly lit bar that smells faintly of cologne and cigarettes with BADABBY DOO BOP WOP BAPPAZZY YEAAAAAAAH playing on a loop over and over at 70 dB.
Sounds fun, but I think I will give that experience a pass. :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts