Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hi Screenedwings, unfortunately your links are not working all it comes up with is a message that says 'Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator'.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i dig thus far, post more soon

·
Registered
836 Posts
Doesn't look too bad. I would work on the following:
1. get some definition (highlights, washes etc) on the metal. looks way too clean and shiny and flat, to be honest.
2. there is a lot of black showing through on the red areas. always try and get an opaque covering of red over black, or work from a brown basecoat on the areas you want to do red.
3. an extreme edge highlight generally doesn't need any more than a tiny, tiiiiiny line of the highlight colour. you've gone a bit overboard there, methinks (although I don't have a reference model on me to compare to your work with the extra large size).
If you want your edge highlights to look a little bit better, I would suggest you use a 1:1 mix of your highlight colour and your regular colour in the areas you've done as your 'edge highlight' and then do an extreme edge highlight (like I talked about before) of your highlight colour on the photo.

Sorry if that makes no sense, I'm kind of tired at the moment.

4. I think that the gold could be dirtied up a little - add some really heavy washes of badab brown + baal red on the gold areas, and it'll make for a blood-soaked, corroded look.

The burn markings on the end of the plasma pistol look good though.

and of course, he needs basing, as usual. But this is a good start.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't look too bad. I would work on the following:
1. get some definition (highlights, washes etc) on the metal. looks way too clean and shiny and flat, to be honest.
2. there is a lot of black showing through on the red areas. always try and get an opaque covering of red over black, or work from a brown basecoat on the areas you want to do red.
3. an extreme edge highlight generally doesn't need any more than a tiny, tiiiiiny line of the highlight colour. you've gone a bit overboard there, methinks (although I don't have a reference model on me to compare to your work with the extra large size).
If you want your edge highlights to look a little bit better, I would suggest you use a 1:1 mix of your highlight colour and your regular colour in the areas you've done as your 'edge highlight' and then do an extreme edge highlight (like I talked about before) of your highlight colour on the photo.

Sorry if that makes no sense, I'm kind of tired at the moment.

4. I think that the gold could be dirtied up a little - add some really heavy washes of badab brown + baal red on the gold areas, and it'll make for a blood-soaked, corroded look.

The burn markings on the end of the plasma pistol look good though.

and of course, he needs basing, as usual. But this is a good start.
yea, I know WIP........ I think im gonna buy mecherite red as foundation

·
Registered
34 Posts
A good start. I wouldn't necessarily worry about the black showing through, I think that looks fine so long as you tone down the think, bright highlighting. I'd either stick with the dirty, black look and then only highlight up to blood red sparsely on the very edges of certain place or fill in some of the black areas with red and then go to the highlight similar to you have now. Thinner highlight though.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
if you want to keep a grubby sort of red for the armour id suggest a devlan mud wash, then go over with your choosen red in a very thin coat, then do a water down hightlight and as suggest by the post above mine, keep to the very edges and only do those edges that need doing,

·
Registered
770 Posts
Nice. crisp, colors,..I like them very much. go for the dirty look.. these guys have been on a slaughterfest for 10,000 years..

have some rep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts