Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I usually play gunline IG but I've been (slowly) putting together a SW army and I think I'm going to take it to play this weekend in a 1650 point tourney. I've read a lot on this forum and tried to learn from it. Comments and criticisms are of course welcome.

HQ – Rune Priest with Living Lighting and Storm Caller, WTN -110

Elite – Wolf Scouts x5 with melta-gun -85

Elite - Wolf Guard x6 5 power fists, 5 combi meltas, 1 TDA with PF and Cyclone ML – 288

Troops – Grey Hunters x8 with PF, Standard, MotW, melta-gun, and Rhino – 210

Troops – Grey Hunters x8 with PF, Standard, MotW, melta-gun, and Rhino - 210

Troops – Grey Hunters x8 with PF, Standard, MotW, melta-gun, and Rhino - 210

Troops – Grey Hunters x5 with flamer and LasPlas Razorback – 150

Heavy Support – Long Fangs x6 with 5ML and LasPlas Razorback – 215

Heavy Support – Long Fangs x6 with 2 LC, 3 ML – 170

Total - 1648

The idea with the long fangs is to stick the TDA WG with the LC/ML crew and put them in an elevated position of cover at deployment (virtually guaranteed at the shop I play in) and put the other squad in their Razorback (without a WG) and tool them around a bit before dumping them off in cover somewhere and then Razor-walling them until the next turn when they can shoot. Obviously the rest of the WG would deploy with the GH squads and the Scouts. The Rune Priest would ride in one of the Rhinos and zap stuff until it was time to get out and beat people down. The scouts and their WG buddy play the backfield and hopefully come out to pop a tank or two at some point. The last GH squad (of 5 men) is a home objective holder or a small harassment unit if we’re not playing for objectives.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I changed the list to get rid of the HB/MM LF squad and set them up as MLs instead. I also think TrueClaw was right about Storm Caller... with that I can get those fellas up close enough to get out and cause some problems instead of using (or forgetting to use) JOTWW. I'm still aware that the Scouts are probably not worth the points, but if I can wreck a tank or two off a 128 point squad (including the WG) then I feel like they're points well spent.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Eh. You have good elements, but I think it could be better.

Wolf Scouts aren't terribly useful against good players. You'll surprise noobs but that's about it.

PFs on a 1 attack model is a waste, go PW or MotW.

Split the Fangs into smaller units. That way you have more targets for your opponent to worry about (4 if you run the WGT solo).

I think it's fairly good, just not my preference of SW build.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the GH squads already have a model with MotW, and they'll all be accompanied by a WG with a PF which gives me 5 PF attacks on the charge (or successful counter-attack) I guess I'd get an advantage with attacks going with a PW over the PF but the str8 hits seem like they might outweigh the potential +1 str4 hits.

As for splitting the LF into smaller units I really could only field a 3rd squad and I'd actually dilute the firepower in dividing 12 LF from 2 squads into 3 4 man squads as I'd have to stick another squad leader in there (giving me 3 squads with 3 heavy weapons guys in each one as opposed to 2 with 5 in each.) Maybe I'm wrong there, maybe the 3 squad route is better, it just seems like I lose some firepower overall.

I'm willing to cop to the scouts potentially being less useful than I want them to be but I just gotta try them out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think you should switch to all missiles on the fangs, then you can break them down into three groups without losing fire power. although i understand the usefulness of the variety of fire power. with all the blood angels with 2+ saves and jump packs the plasma would be great, or just termys, and the las protects you from AV14. you have melta but i understand wanting a bit more. i just tend to go the missile route. although the heavy bolter's an Multimelta...i don't agree with them so much. you don't want to be within 12" of anything with fangs. let alone a transport or land raider. and if your 24" away why not have a missile launcher.

you might also consider storm caller with your rune priest. you don't really want to move at 6" a turn so you can shoot your rune priest out the top. move 12" smoke, move 12" storm caller, then your there or your chasing something. keeps your rhinos a bit safer.

i like the 5PF attacks though. that'll scare people for sure. and help you open up cans, but id prefer to open them up before i get there, gotta hope to get lucky with your melta's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts