Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Catchy title, no?

I'll jump straight to the chase.

New Kauyon supplement, specifically Raven Guard, super specifically a Shadowstrike Kill team within a Talon Strike Force.

First Turn
"Know when to strike" special rule, from the Talon Strike Force, essentially allows units from this detachment to roll to arrive from reserve on the first turn, albeit on a different value than normal.

Deep Strike
Just as extra icing on the cake, "On Time" special rule, from the Shadowstrike Kill Team allows you to automatically pass the reserve roll.

Assault
Finally, the "On Target" special rule, also from the Shadowstrike Kill Team (Who'd have guessed?) allows you to charge on the turn you arrive from deep strike, albeit with support still required if you want to mitigate scatter.

Am I on the right page here? If not, kindly poke some holes in my overly optimistic logic.

Otherwise, prepare for mishapping vanguard!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Yes, provided you can infiltrate your scouts close enough to the enemy (ie. out of line of sight so you can get real close), the enemy is handily close, and you get first turn. That last stipulation is because not many people will let this plan come to fruition. I would most definitely take out one of those Scout squads that you need to coordinate your deep strike, or just move back to deny you a charge when you arrive from reserve.

For reference:

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
As I read it, they can assault that first turn no matter what--they only get the "no scatter" guarantee if within 9" of two scout units. And 18" Infiltrate limit, -6" for movement, then (an optimistic) -7" for triangulating between the 9" limit to hit two scout squads, then -1" or 2" for the width of bases placed after that first mini put down, based on how many rings of infantry in the squad... you could DS in about 3-4" from an enemy unit before they get to move or shoot if you win the first turn roll-off. And that's assuming you shoot with your Scouts, not run with them to get even closer.

As someone who mostly faces SM rather than plays them, I'm kind of glad it's only Vanguard Vets that get this. They may well need it, seeing as they've always been over-priced and fragile compared to, say, Sternguard, but... I'm glad nobody else gets this bonus.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything to stop them benefiting from the locator beacon on scout bikers?

I was more interested in this formation as a quick reaction force / counter assault, but the above interpretation occurred to me whilst looking at it.

The re-rolling deploys first business does give you a slightly edge if you're desperate to go first.

Thoroughly appreciate the feedback, thanks gents.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Ah! That is quite right, @Mossy Toes. I misread that in the misty morning thanks for correcting me.

More T1 DS and charging for Space Marines! I'll just go and sulk with my Deathwing army in the corner...:laugh:

Nothing at all to stop them benefiting from other DS assistance @Rush Darling, but do you think it's worth the investment given that you'll have 2-4 Scout squads Infiltrating?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm still getting used to working with scouts now they have the improved statline.

The 9" bubble is nice for a freebie (I believe Ravenwing can do something similar for the deathwing?) but within 9" of two squads feels like quite a limited bubble, either I spread my scouts out and I'm limited to the overlap, or I bunch them up for a solid 9" circle. As you've mentioned before, the easy counter is just to obliterate one of the scout squads.

As part of a Talon Strike Force there's a high likelihood I'll be taking a Pinion demi company, and I'd expect to include scout bikers in that to fulfill the scout requirements, so the extra ten points on a unit that can both infiltrate and then redeploy 12" (but no closer than 12" of an enemy unit) seemed like something worth trying. The 2+ first turn jink that raven guard bikes get is also very handy at times.

As you've mentioned before, all hinges on winning the first turn. I'll have a play and let you know!

Edit: Also just occurred to me you could use the "Know When To Strike" rule to bring in the second half of your drop pods on the first turn, dice gods willing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts