Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey fellow Terrain makers, I'm still pretty new to the game as of the start of the year but I have to admit that one of my favorite parts is making my own terrain. I've lurked on this forum and several others getting ideas and inspiration from you guys and others. Anyways, I just wanted to share some of my own home made terrain and see what people think, get some constructive criticism, and maybe inspire some one else. Thanks!

(sorry for the messy basement in background, I'm going to invest in some cheap backdrops to get better pictures for posting soon)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I also had a turn at making some hills/rocks with that pink insulation foam. My friend and I are writing a campaign that we will used the crystals as a resource gathering objective that will play into the campaign and later missions. Anyways, I used a hot wire cutter and then used Gesso to seal the foam before I primed and painted it. I think they turned out pretty good for a first attempt. There are things I would do differently next time I think, I'm not sure how much I like the one I did on the MDF board... anyways Let me know what ya think and recommendations are always welcome!

*The white layer is the Gesso, then the gray layer is a latex based primer, then finally the paint and some dry brushing. I added bassalt, kitty litter, and sand to give it texture before the primer stage.

**Since these pictures I've gone back and done a lighter dry brush of purple on the crystals and a very light coat of spray glitter on them that really makes them stand out and look more crystal like, maybe I'll take some pics of the finished crystals later.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Really nice work, I think a lot of people will be using you for inspiration now :) My only criticism is the crystals look a bit rounded I think maybe they need sharper edges.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the finished crystals. I think the dry brush of the lighter purple makes them look a lot better. I'm not super impressed with the very light coat of spray glitter, but it did kind of give them the effect I was after (although the camera doesn't capture it correctly at all). And if I ever do make them again (which i might for a ice/snow table) I will need to find a better way to cut them like on a jigsaw or something so I can have sharper edges like you said, I also don't like how curved they turned out in some spots.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Quality scenery mate :victory:

I like the dilapidation on the floors, really helps set the scene. Will have to try and incorporate this into my next lot of ruins.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I'm actual using the same technique to make a display board for my marines but I'm going to try and use some wall spackle before gesso/primer to smooth out the cliffs in some places so they don't look quite so "stepped" and a more hilly look. I'll take some pictures in progress so you guys can see the process a bit if your interested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those buildings look amazing. I like the realistic look. I don't know what kind of look you like, but I'm a big fan of having some shrubs/ trees around the buildings to make it look like nature is taking back the ruins.

·
Registered
159 Posts
those ruins look amazing just marvelous. the foam board mountains do look a bit stepped but that can be worked on. the crystals are a bit rounded. are they foam? if they are then you can use a cuthroat razor to shave them sharper or just use a razor blade but you have to have steady hands otherwise you might not have fingertips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a great idea to use nature/shrubs and stuff around the ruins, for these I was going more for a recently ruined look but I really want to do old ruined stuff on like a jungle/alpine board where nature has reclaimed a lot, that is great inspiration thanks!

And yeah I'm looking for a better way to cut the crystals for a more uniform/geometric look. The problem is that all I had at the time was a simple hand held hot wire cutter which stinks for doing straight lines. I'm thinking about mounting it or making a hot wire table saw type deal or investing in a jig saw/table saw. I just moved onto the painting step of my display board and this time I used Spackle and other things to making the hills look less "stepped." I'll see if I can post some pics later today. These hills were mostly testing out how to use the wire cutter and getting ideas on how I wanted my display board to look. I have to admit that playing a game with the hill/cliff terrain changed how we played the game quite a bit from the regular building/ruin city game type.

Thanks for the comments, ideas, and critiques so far!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I want to show my work so far on my display board. It's for my Raven Guard space marines so I wanted to make the display board set on their home world of Deliverance, which is a mining moon with little atmosphere and no plant life. My stepped hills in my last few posts were mostly practice of techniques and paints trying out some ideas so I could make this display board look like Deliverance, and after many hours spent on it I think it came out pretty good.

I didn't want to go the traditional 2'x2' route and instead decided on a 1.5'x2.5' board so it can sit on a shelf or in my display case easier (since the display board is largely just for me to store the army on and enjoy)

I began with laying out the design with a sharpy and deciding where I wanted things to be featured. I used 1 inch foam as the ground and the foundation for the hills, and mounted it all on a 1/4" piece of MDF for strength.

Next was shaping everything with the hot wire knife, gluing everything together, and finally making the craters with a propane torch

I made three big craters on/in the cliffs where my drop pods would have crashed down to deliver troops. This big one in the side of the cliff is for a drop pod that came in too hot and really dug itself into the mountain side.

Next was sanding, spackling, spanding, spackling. This was to fill in gaps and help make the cliffs look less "stepped" and hopefully add some texture to it.

After the spackle had dried overnight, I added larger rocks via the same foam as well as kitty litter to again give it more texture. I used pva glue to get it all down, then when dried, sprayed the entire thing with a pva/water solution to help seal in the grit/rocks for the next step.

Finally, when dried overnight again, I did a layer of Gesso over the entire project to seal everything in and give it an awesome canvas feel to it for painting.

Lastly before beginning the painting I brushed on a latex gray primer. (not pictured)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey all,

I finished my display board but got sidetracked building my Imperial Knight that my wife got me for my bday, it was a really fun build (custom base, LED eyes). Anyways, I'm happy to present my Raven Guard homeworld Deliverance Display Board:

Painting finished!

My third drop pod still needs to be assembled, I have 3 "craters" on the board when the last one is done it will go in the side of the mountain like below.

Same thing here, that last flying pole will be for my Stormraven that needs to be assembled next

Shrike and his Vanguard Vets

I know jump packs don't go in drop pods but I love the way they look emerging and descending the cliffs..

And Finally, the rest of the army!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts