Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i just bought the Imperial Guard codex and im looking to make an infantry heavy army and im going Valhallan themed. All thoughts and ideas on the list will help alot. It is a 2000 pnt list. Thanks alot all!

HQ
CCS with MoO and Vox - 85

Troops
Infantry Platoon - 335
5 Infantry Squads
PCS
Vox
Chenkov

Infantry Platoon - 285
5 Infantry Squads
PCS
Vox

Infantry Platoon - 285
5 Infantry Squads
PCS
Vox

Infantry Platoon - 285
5 Infantry Squads
PCS
Vox

Fast Attack
Vendeta Gunship - 130
x2 Hellfury missle pods

Heavy Support
Basilisk x2 - 250

Leman Russ Battle Tank - 150

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I can understand the going for a Hoard theme, but regardless of how many lasguns you have it's not that much more expensive to throw some SW's and HW's into the mix, and your kill ratio will increase quite a lot..even GL's would make a difference. Some AC HW's would give you some decent long range anti-armour capability which you have little of as even your HS choices are tuned towards anti-infantry.

Seen as you have that much Infantry you need to bolster their leadership/Morale so the Regimental Standard would be a nice addition

On the Vendetta, you might as well just take a Valkyrie with MRP's if you want even more anti-infantry because a Vendetta is all about the 3 TLLC's..Hellfurys are a downgrade in this case, and I don't rate 1-shot only weapons highly at all, even free ones.

My 2c anyway.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think the idea of deploying 225 guardsmen is awesome!

(I just don't even want to think about painting those guardsmen to a decent standard...)

I'm assuming you'll use 50 man combined blob squads with CCS and PCS as 'order' units.

The list is lacking firepower or maybe it's lacking your vision behind deploying so many guys. What do you want with these guys?
You're obviously not going for CC, because you don't have anything that can kick a$$.
You're also not going for shooting, with just lasguns (even with rapidfire and 'first rank, second rank') you don't dish out a lot of hurt. And something within 12" of guardsmen will eat them next turn. Or at least bog down your blob squad.

You could transform the list in both shooty and assaulty, but shooty is probably more likely to hurt your opponent.

I'll try to stay with your theme while suggesting changes.
-CCS: You want this unit to give orders for twin-linking against vehicles, or first rank, second rank. You don't want the MoO, because you will likely move with your squad and than the MoO can't fire. I'd just give them sme LD improving gear. Banner and/or vox, but if you take commissars don't bother and just take a 50pts squad that adds the power of orders. I'd even consider a second CCS for using more 'real' orders on your platoons.

-PCS: same as above. You want orders and not much else, but you could consider 4 flamers. It's dirt cheap and 4 templates can hurt almost anything that gets close.

-Infantry squads: you should consider giving some HW and some SW. Give the platoons meltaguns (twin-link orders will help improve odds and 50 men don't die easily) and each platoon needs a powerfist commissar to 'bolster morale' (and shoot the cowardly dogs that run...) and some powerweapon sergeants for CC deterrent. A 50 men blob squad with meltas and powerweapons should be able to play offensively and go get objectives.

-Infantry squads: You could also consider giving some platoons heavy weapons, like the autocannon. Again with orders you'll improve your chances of hitting stuff and nobody likes 5 twin-linked autocannons or missile launchers firing at their vehicles. OR you could ignore this part and just buy Heavy Weapon Squads.

-Heavy Weapon squads: I feel you need some real firepower and you need more units that can shoot at stuff. With really big blob squads you can only target a few enemy units. Take 2 HWS with autocannons and 2 HWS with missile launchers. Take the second CCS I suggested and use the twin-link orders to take out armour. Because the HWS's will be behind so many guardsmen you'll be claiming cover saves against most shots at them.

-Vendetta: Poor lonely massively imposing vendetta... it won't last a turn. If you go all infantry, I suggest you leave vunerable vehicles at home. People will just love you for bringing one.

-Leman Russ: That lone AV14 tank is not going to have a good day. Every S8 and up weapon will shoot at it, after they take out the AV12 vehicles. In 2000pts your opponent will be bringing serious anti-tank weapons.

-Basilisks: The basilisk is a bit of a jack off all trades. The range, S and AP are all good, but it had nothing really special. A collossus had the 'ignore cover saves' special rule. The manticore brings S10 (anti-tank) and d3 shots with it. The medusa brings S10 AP2 to the table. The bassie is just cheap and allround.

I could suggest a list, but maybe you can see what's usefull and change the original list.

Good luck!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well this many guardsmen on the table will be a headache for some armies, no doubt about that. Just a few things I would do

CCS with MoO and Vox - 85
Add another CCS like this one and add Creed, he is awesome in infantry lists and whatever a Moo can do two can do better. Also PCS can only have the 3 basic orders, not that they are useless but with only one company commander only 2 squads will be able to get the company commander exclusive orders, so therefore get another CCS with CREED.

Another note on infantry lists, anything coming from reserves is your death, invest in master of the fleet.

Fast Attack
Vendeta Gunship - 130
x2 Hellfury missle pods
The list is to static for valks IMO, drop it and get more artillery which will better protected in an infantry list.

I strongly advise that you invest in some heavy weapons, tanks will chew you up

Don't have alot of time to go into detail, but good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the great tips guys this really helped. Here is my second try at a list.

HQ
CCS with Ofiicer of the fleet and Vox - 85

CCS with Creed and Vox -110

Troops
Infantry Platoon - 405
5 Infantry Squads
x5 Flamers
x1 HWT w/ Autocannon
PCS
Vox
Commisar
Chenkov

Infantry Platoon - 355
5 Infantry Squads
x5 Flamers
x1 HWT w/ Autocannon
PCS
Commisar
Vox

Infantry Platoon - 355
5 Infantry Squads
x5 Flamers
x1 Autocannon
PCS
Commisar
Vox

Infantry Platoon - 370
5 Infantry Squads
x4 Meltagus
x1 HWT w/ Autocannon
PCS
Commisar
Vox

Heavy Support
x2 Manticore - 320

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
That's a better looking list!

You don't *really* need the commissar in Chenkov's platoon as he gives out a 12" Stubborn bubble.

Also, in the squads with autocannons, why not swap the flamer for a grenade launcher? The S6 krak grenade is OK for putting hurt on light vehicles, which is what your AC's will be shooting at.

Make sure you give the Manticore's hull mounted heavy flamers; much better than a heavy bolter.

The Company Command squads are good, however any enemy worth his salt will go straight for Creed's squad - very easy to kill, even with a cover save... maybe try to put them in a Chimera? I know it doesn't exactly fit with the all-infantry list but the added benefits cannot be overlooked. Might be worth looking into if you do keep getting him sniped.

The only other thing I would say is that you're missing AP2... maybe put a plasma gun or two in each CCS?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright thanks for those tips! I will certanily add some plasma and thanks for remenindng me abot Chenkovs stuburn bubble.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi Cyoteon,

I'm too much of a Mech-player to know, but do you really need those voxes? Don't the commissars and Creed already boost your LD enough? Could save you some points. Right now it looks like your buying the vox and commissar for the PCS... I'm sure that's not the way you mean it.

Am I to believe that you're taking just 1 AC per blob squad, or are you taking a HWS with 3 AC's per platoon? Pointswise it looks just 4 AC's in your entire list. That is NOT enough ranged firepower for sure. You have nothing (except your 2 manticores and 4 close range meltaguns) that can hurt AV14 and lists with a lot of vehicles will ruin your day.

I don't really see the problem with outflanking units... you have huge blobsquads/tarpits for dealing with them. And the MotF will only delay them... eventually they will come.

In the end I don't feel this list is really maximising on the '50 men' units idea, which is the cool part.

May I suggest something like this:
HQ- CCS with Creed @ 105pts
HQ- CCS (naked) @ 50pts
TR- Platoon 1; 40 guardsmen, 4 meltaguns, 4 powerweapons, commissar chenkov, PCS, HWS w/ 3 AC's @ 430pts
TR- Platoon 2; 40 guardsmen, 4 meltaguns, 4 powerweapons, commissar w/ powerfist, PCS, HWS w/ 3 AC's @ 430pts
TR- Platoon 3; 40 guardsmen, 4 flamers, 4 powerweapons, commissar w/ powerfist, PCS, HWS w/ 3 ML's, HWS w/ 3 ML's @ 500pts
HS- manticore
HS- manticore
HS- manticore
Total: 145 guardsmen, 3 artillery pieces, gazillion lasguns @ 1995pts

Just imagine getting turn one and unleashing your 'katoesja' (you wanted a russian theme) missiles for a devasting alphastrike against enemy vehicles. Next you'll march your platoons straight into enemy fire while Creed directs more HWS firepower against target of priority. I can just hear the russian songs and stamping boots right now.

Greetz

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats a really good idea I like the look of that list and it will save me some money on buying 200 guardsmen. Thanks alot!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more quick question for the command squads when I put in creed do I add the 90 points for him to the 50 points for the squad or does that over ride the 50 and the squad starts at 90?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
One more quick question for the command squads when I put in creed do I add the 90 points for him to the 50 points for the squad or does that over ride the 50 and the squad starts at 90?
You buy the CCS and then add Creed's cost to the total.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Yes it adds up fairly quickly, which is why when you take Creed, or any of the Special Characters really, you need to take advantage of the abilities they bring to the table otherwise you're not getting 'bang for your buck'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts