Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first attempt to see if i can make a list with all my old models from my Chaos armies from 3rd and 4ed. I proxied the Fiends as the models look awful anyway and I'll get to converting some eventually. I've been slowly bringing all my ten year old armies off the shelf and trying to revamp them for 5ed. I've done Necs and Nids. It's Daemon time now.

Daemons

HQ: 180
Herald of Slaanesh, Chariot, Soporific Musk, Unholy Might (90)

Elites: 570
Fiends of Slaanesh x6, Unholy Might (190)

Troops: 225
Plaguebearers of Nurgle x5 (75)

Fast Attack: 102
Seekers of Slaanesh x6 (102)

Heavy Support: 420
Daemon Prince, Flight, Iron Hide, Noxious Touch, Cloud of Flies, Mark of Nurgle (215)
Daemon Prince, Flight, Iron Hide, Aura of Acquiescence, Soporific Musk, Mark of Slaanesh (205)

Points -1497
KP – 11
Models - 43

So nothing to dramatic here. I'm trying to mitigate the weaknesses of Daemons with a lot of redundancy and I want to have plenty of speed in the list. The Slaanesh will come in the first wave and the all the Nurgle in the second wave.

I figure to bounce my way all over the table using Musk, block advances and then take off and multiple assault any units I can isolate. The DPs are really my best tank killers bit the rest of the list can stop transports with a little luck.

I decided to just use PBs for troops and camp them on objectives. Assaulty troops are nice but might not last the whole game.

So as a new daemons player (lots of 40k experience) am I on the right track?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Short answer: Hell yes!
All you really need is something shooty to shut tanks up. Going into CC with them won't always yield the best of results so some shooting would be good. Otherwise it's a very lovely (and somewhat cheesy) list.

But hey, you got speed and sometimes that's all you need :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear that. I had originally played with no DPs and three squads of hounds in the fast attack slot. After a couple of games I wanted something to take out big tanks badly. That left me the choice of adding Tzeentch to the list ( which I could see working ) or going with the DPs. I opted for the DPs. I relied pretty heavily on Chumb's review when putting together the list.

I'm a very experienced player so I was a bit nervous picking these boys up but really wanted to use the leftover models from my old CSM days (I had three CSM armies- all sold but the daemons, clever me). I've played against Fatecrusher a few times with my IG and tabled the buggers pretty easily but I felt a better list could be built then relying on a one trick pony that's slow and vulnerable.

I'm thinking of slowly divesting myself of all my armies but three. I will definitely keep my IG and Eldar, so that leaves Necs, Nids and now Daemons as my choices. I'm thinking I like Daemons because they are so random and that really adds to the fun of the game. If I could get some respectable wins out of them I'll be pleased.

I want only Slaanesh and Nurgle - I want to expand to 1750 and then 2000 ...

Suggestions?

·
Registered
324 Posts
you are on the right track. As you said, though, you're missing some ranged anti-tank. I like your HQs, elites and troops, but I think your princes are a bit overexpensive and not so focused. You have tons of mobile units in the fiends and sleralds, so you should use your princes to cover what you're missing. I'd replace the princes in favour of 2 Princes with MoT, Bolt, and Gaze.

I'd also get rid of the seekers, since at that size they will just get shot, and with the points saved from the princes get 2 Heralds of Tzeentch with a chariot and Bolt. That way you'll retain the 5 units of hit and run rending goodness, but you'll have on top of that 4 units of bolt/gaze which you can demech and kill AV with. Your princes won't fly but your 2 tzeralds will, and and 5 wounds with a 4+ invul they are actually quite decent at holding stuff still until your fiends arrive.

edit: I just realized you said you only wanted slaanesh and nurgle, so I guess my advice is useless. In any case then I'd remove the seekers and add more sleralds. However, since the slaanesh princes aren't so hot (they get terribly expensive if you want to make them similar to a slerald) I think you'll have some trouble scaling it up without including any tzeentch.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Daemons

HQ: 410

Herald of Tzeentch, Chariot, Master of Sorcery, Soul Devourer, Bolt of Tzeentch (110)
Herald of Tzeentch, Chariot, Master of Sorcery, Soul Devourer, Bolt of Tzeentch, Daemonic Gaze (120)

Elites: 540

Fiends of Slaanesh x6 (180)

Heavy Support: 320
Daemon Prince, Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt of Tzeentch, Demonic Gaze (160)

Points -1495
KP – 12
Models - 39

So now ... what am I adding for 1750 and 2000

·
Registered
324 Posts
one more prince, same loadout, one more unit of PBs, fleshhounds + karanak or seekers. I think hounds are slightly better than seekers but seekers will do in a pinch.

edit: also, unholy might on your fiends.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Daemons

HQ: 410
These gals are cool and great for munching on stuff. Yum!

Herald of Tzeentch, Chariot, Master of Sorcery, Soul Devourer, Bolt of Tzeentch (110)
Herald of Tzeentch, Chariot, Master of Sorcery, Soul Devourer, Bolt of Tzeentch, Daemonic Gaze (120)
Say what? Soul Devourer sucks and Tzeralds already come with gaze. Give them We Are Legion and your golden.

Elites: 540

Should have Might, just to make them slightly tougher and deadlier. Works for me. Otherwise max fiends will make swiss cheese out of anything. Or just end up being called it themselves.

I prefer units of 7, but it's all good. They can hold objectives and not much else. But what do you expect for their price?

Heavy Support: 320
I'd still give them hide, but if you can't afford it you can't afford it. And that's the problem. I just suggest what they need, not what you should drop. But a Sherald wouldn't hurt much to drop. Nor would it gain much. Hell, it's all preference.
Points -1495
KP – 12
Models - 39

So now ... what am I adding for 1750 and 2000
Adding? An extra prince, some screamers and consider replacing the Sheralds with some big fat daemons. That's what I would at least.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think I'm going to lose the Sheralds regardless. I'll take em out, add Might to fiends and a squad of BLs - that should shore up the list a bit at 1500. I'll add in Hounds as I go up to 1750 and a DP asndf maybe Herald for 2000.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts