Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I am entering my first tournament later in the year and am thinking of going for that most competitive of Orky orkiness, the Green Tide.
It's fluffy, and from what I hear, lethal. :grin:
So far I have thought about this...

HQ
Warboss, EA, PK, Shoota, Big Bosspole - 109 pts
Big Mek, MFF, EA, PK, Rokkit Launcha, Bosspole - 149 pts
Painboy - 50 pts

Elites
10x Tankbustas, 3x Bomb Squigs - 145 pts

Troops
10x Troops - 1015 pts
93 Boyz, Slugga Choppas
7 Boss Nobs, PK, Shoota
7 Boyz Rokkit Launcha

Fast Attack
Deffkopta - 30 pts

Heavy
Battlewagon - 2x Rokkit Launchas, Reinforced Ram - 125 pts
8x Lootas, Mek, KMB - 131 pts
Mek Gunz - 2 Kannon, 2 extra gretchin, 2 ammo runts - 48 pts
Mek Gunz - 2 Kannon, 2 extra gretchin, 2 ammo runts - 48 pts

Now, this looks lovely, but is not a legal list. Basically I want a GT, with the Big Mek riding with the Tankbustas and his lovely MFF, Lootas and Mek gunz camped at the back shooting up the joint, GT with Warboss and PB rolling forward and Deffkopta hiding round the back before snatching cheeky objectives turn 4/5
Unfortunately I am going to have to mess about with primary dets and the like to try and get the best I can.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
564 Posts
you could keep it as an unbound army but still run the green tide formation to get all the benefits for your orks in that formation. depending on your tournament rules obviously.

Otherwise you could put it together as the ork horde detachment and roll the extra unit of boyz into the other nine, combine the mek guns into one unit and the list then conforms to the rules of the horde detachment.

Or drop two of the mek guns and use the points to boost up the number of lootas, 8 is just not enough of a threat. the mek with the KMB is really wasted with the lootas as he doesn't have the range and will spend most of the game standing around.

the green tide works well on it's own it doesn't need anything to help it as your opponent just have way to many orks to deal with. so if you've got the models just run the whole thing with a Warboss in Mega armour, with the lucky stikk and boss pole, 10 nobz with PK's and boss poles and then loads of boyz. you could even get really nasty and give them all eavy armour. at 1850 you could have about 130 boyz all in eavy armour woth 10 pk wielding nobz and a fully kitted up mega armoured warboss. your only enemy you would need to worry about would be time. remember you only need one model engaged and then your army can't be shot at, and also any of your nobz or warboss can "teleport" all through the units by issuing challenges.

hope this helps

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. At the moment I am going through the rules and adjusting the army to fit and checking what models I may need to buy to complete a legal army.
Here is a copy of the rules regarding building and composition...

• Games will be played with Warhammer 40,000 7th Ed. Armies of 1850pts.
• Any Codex available on or before list deadline (30 Sep 15) may be used. Any Codex released after that date will not be allowed.
• You will only be allowed to take units with the 40k approved stamp.
• Only battle-forged armies may be taken.
• Your battle-forged army must contain one Combined Arms detachment (and only one).
• Some Codex’s allow alternative Combined arms detachments (Knight primary detachments, Wolves unleashed, Ork Horde detachment etc) – these may be selected instead of the compulsory Combined Arms Detachment.
• In addition your battle forged army may select one additional non-Combined Arms detachment (Allied, Inquisition, Allied Imperial Knights, Legion of the Damned etc) OR FORMATION.
• ‘Come the Apocalypse’ Alliances can be made and Special (Unique) Characters will be allowed. Forge world models are allowed.
• No Pre-Heresy armies.
• Only 15 warp charge points for Conjuration each turn.
• No one model may cost more than 600 points.
• Invisibility will be changed so enemy units fire at BS1.
• Re-rolled saves will be considered -2 on the re-roll. (e.g 2+ becomes 4+ on re-roll) Re-roll will only go down to a 6+ and will not be eliminated by the -2 modifier.
• Fortification limitations include; No Fortification networks.
With these rules in mind specifically this would be my revised list....

CAD - Great Waaagh Detatchment - (Waaagh! Ghazghkull) - 844 pts

HQ
Big Mek EA, MFF, KMB, PK - 144 pts
Painboy - 50 pts

Elites
Tankbustas x10, 3x Bomb Squigs - 145 pts

Troops
2x Gretchin mobz, Runtherds with Grot Squig - 80 pts

Heavy
Battlewagon, Reinforced Ram, 2x Rokkit Launcha, Red Paint Job - 125 pts
Lootas x13, Mek KMB - 201 pts
Mek Gunz - 2x KMK, 1x Traktor Kannon, 3x Ammo runts. - 99pts

Formation - Green Tide - (Waaagh! Ghazghkull) - 1006 pts

HQ
Warboss - EA, PK, Shoota, Big Bosspole - 109 pts

Troops
10x Boyz mobs - 7x Boss Nobz, 7x PKs, 2x Bosspoles. 100x Boyz Sluggas, Choppas - 897 pts

Total 1850 pts

This is my first ever bound, complying to the rules of a tourney style list, so does it conform, or have I gone about it wrong somehow?

·
Registered
564 Posts
the list there would conform to the rules that you have to work to. list looks pretty good will do well I think. the only thing I would suggest is to try and get the warboss from the green tide formation into some mega armour. you would replace the PK and EA which would give you 30points back would just need to find another 10. drop the mek with the KMB from the lootas which would give you a total of 49 points enough for the mega armour, one more ork for the GT and 3 points over for an ammo runt for your bigmek just in case the gets hot comes at an importune time.

hope that helps

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, but wouldn't the SnP for the MegaArmour Warboss cripple the GT?
We get to Waaagh every turn (after the first), but if he is in the unit, then we can't run, losing d6" every turn, it would also lose Overwatch (if that's really an issue) and probably more importantly, we wouldn't be able to sweeping advance. That seems like quite a hit. But the 2+ save on the character making the whole lot fearless is tempting.
I had thought about MA on the Big mek, maybe put him with the Lootas so that would free them up to move about and shoot, as originally he was going with the tankbustas in the Battlewagon.

·
Registered
564 Posts
not sure on how keen you are for the painboy, or where he is going. i'm pretty sure he can't join the GT formation. you could swap him for the super cybork upgrade on the warboss gives him eternal warrior, relentless and 5+ FnP. Solves the SnP problem, expensive I know, but he needs to be a tank as he is going to have to fight a lot of challenges.
you only get the stampede benefit if he is your warlord. so you need to clarify if your warlord can come from the allied/formation or if it has to come from the ork horde/CAD.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That has given me some food for thought. A regular Warboss is forced to accept and issue challenges in the GT thanks to "the biggest and the best" special rule. Without the 2+ save, he is going to take wounds fairly quickly and re-reading the rule, I can't even get another Nob to soak up the challenge.
The Painboy won't be able to deploy with the GT, but on turn one movement, could then join the Tide.
This does leave the formation vulnerable, especially if we go second.
I had assumed that the Warlord could be in either, and had based my GT on him being the Warlord. Thanks for the hint, I am building a list of questions for one of the organisers for clarity as we speak. Don't want to turn up on the day having been playing it wrong for the last few months.
Very helpful stuff, thanks. :eek:k:

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Me personally I would drop the battle wagon and either get another unit of tank bustas in there. If you are really feeling sneaky you can use a Void Shield generator that as long as one model is within the 12 inch bubble the unit gets the cover save which is useful if the tide goes second and has to stand there and get shot at. I would give one of the big mek or the warboss da lukky stikk to help with wounds and to give the unit WS3. I would drop the mek in the loota squad for another loota as well.

I would not take mega armour that would slow down the tide keep him in Eavy Armour it sucks but it is faster and speed is the key with the tide.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the Void Shield Generator counts as a Fortification doesn't it?
You got me thinking about the BW/ Trukk for the TB's though. Two trukks loaded with TB is tempting. Especially if they're surrounded by the GT.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I think the Void Shield Generator counts as a Fortification doesn't it?
You got me thinking about the BW/ Trukk for the TB's though. Two trukks loaded with TB is tempting. Especially if they're surrounded by the GT.
According to the rules it looks like fortifications are ok it just says no networks so not sure may want to get a clarification on it just to be sure. The Void Sheild generator was ok to use at the Las Vegas Open but again check with the organizer.

I would just put the tankbustas on foot this way mixed in with the tide they are harder to target and pick out where as in a trukk they would get shot immediately. Plus with two squads you have a good chance of them hitting stuff. I used two squads at the last GT I went to and at least one squad would survive the whole game and usually one squad would get killed only after it had taken out one or two tanks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I've been playing around with the list a bit, and have come up with a bit of a fantasy Ork Cheese list. I think that this might be tournament legal, and if it is, I think it would scare the pants off just about anything else that gets on the table. I know it may not be tactically the most subtle list, but as far as being very very Orky, it's right up there. The only downside would be that losing with a list like this would be utterly humiliating.

Battlescribe, and my own research seems to say it's ok, but I'm throwing it out to you guys, the experts, to look at. Is this list likely to stand up to scrutiny?

CAD - Ork Horde Detachment - 999 pts

HQ
Mad Dok Grotsnik, Da Painboss - 144 pts
Warboss, EA, PK, Shoota, Da Lukky Stick - 114 pts

Troops
3x Gretchin mobz, Runtherds - 105 pts

Heavy
Lootas x2, 3x Mek, 2x KMB, 1x Slugga - 80 pts
Mek Gunz - 2x KMK, 1x Traktor Kannon - 90pts

LOW
Buzzgob's Big Mek Stompa, 3x Big Shoota, d6x Power Fields, Gaze of Mork, Lifta-Droppa, Deff Kannon - 450 pts

Formation - Green Tide - (Waaagh! Ghazghkull) - 849 pts

HQ

Warboss - PK, Shoota - 85 pts

Troops
10x Boyz mobs - 4x Boss Nobz, 4x PKs. 100x Boyz Sluggas, Choppas - 764 pts

Total 1848 pts

That Stompa is just a ridiculous amount of awesome for that points value. The Deff Kannon, and Gaze of Mork are worth it on their own. I only started looking at doing something like this after talking to 2 friends who are attending the tournament that I am going to, and both are taking multiple Knights. I had heard of this Mek Stompa, and did wonder if it might not be fun to give them something serious to shoot at.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I like the stompa and the rest of the formation but not sure about the lifta-droppa. I would drop that for maybe a belly gun or something like that. I like to take the lifta-droppa wagon.

I would drop one of the meks and make him a loota instead. Between the two squads you will still have 4 repair rolls to add to stompa. This will be interesting to see how it does. I was thinking about seeing if you had thought about adding a gargantuan squiggoth to the tide but the stompa would be a good fit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts