Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I know the title can be confusing, especially since nearly everyone plays marines especially since in previous posts I have expressed my supreme hatred of them. Anyway one of my niggling problems is that the Sternguard models just look too awesome so I could not resist putting an army including a fair number of these guys. Looking through someone else's marine book I came across Pedro Kantor. Since this guy makes these units scoring I decided that I would use Crimson Fists as an army (I am a very firm believer that special characters should stay within respective armies). Any way here it is so enjoy tearing it apart:

HQ

Pedro Kantor-175 points

Honour Guard-4 honour guard with a champion with a combat blade and digital lasers-mounted in a drop pod with deathwind launcher (accompanies Kantor)-215 points

Elites

6 Sternguard-includes 2 multi-meltas, a combi-melta, sergeant has melta bombs and a power fist, in a drop pod-230 points

6 Sternguard-includes 2 multi-meltas, a combi-melta, sergeant has melta bombs and a power fist, in a drop pod-230 points

Troops

10 Tactical Marines-includes a flamer and a multi-melta in a drop pod-210 points

10 Tactical marines-includes a flamer and a multi-melta in a drop pod-210 points

Total-1500 points

My first impressions is that the Sternguard could be modified to have a 7th guy by removing the power fists. Any other ideas since I do not know how to play Space Marines well-only that they die quickly when facing dark reapers:grin:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wouldn't go with multi-melta's. YOu loose the main benefit of having sternguard in the first place: Their special ammunition. Go with all combi plasma or all combi meltas, so you still have bolters. Also i wouldn't bother with multi meltas in regular tactical marines, you can't move and shoot with them, which kind of defeats the purpose of a tactical squad.

-Narik

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about swapping the power fists and multi-meltas out of the sternguard and replace it so 2 squads have combi-meltas and 1 squad has combi-plasmas.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
HQ
Pedro Kantor-175 points
I <3 Pedro Kantor. Just remember to be careful with him as his PF and Independent Character rule can get him killed in CC.

Honour Guard-4 honour guard with a champion with a combat blade and digital lasers-mounted in a drop pod with deathwind launcher (accompanies Kantor)-215 points
Drop this unless you’re taking it for fluff reasons. This could be something you need more, say a unit of Scout Bikers with a Beacon to allow you to use drop pods with more precision, or a Rifleman Dread, or even a ML spam Dev. Squad for fire support.

Elites

Drop one of these units consolidate the troopers from this squad into the remaining two squads; i.e. two 9 Marine Sternguard squads instead of 3 six man squads. Certainly drop the MM and melta bombs. Take combi-melta and comb-flamers instead, keep the PF.

You want to keep the bolters with special rounds at all costs as it will help out your army in too many ways. Special Issue ammunition is simply too useful in a changing battlefield. PF’s are good for putting wounds on MC’s.

Put Pedro in one of these squads (or in the tact squads…) if you like but remember the weaknesses I mentioned above.

Lastly, you’ll find a bigger Marine squad is stronger in the long run. It simply can’t be wiped out that easily if positioned right (and not facing Dark Reapers, but what are combi-flamers for?) and you’ll save a few points (and money) as you’re getting one less drop pod.

Troops
10 Tactical Marines-includes a flamer and a multi-melta in a drop pod-210 points

10 Tactical marines-includes a flamer and a multi-melta in a drop pod-210 points
Not bad, but I would recommend you take LC’s instead of the MM and a PF. Combat squad the PF/flamer section of this unit in the pod and leave the LC section at home objective to pop transports.

List lacks a bit of the long range anti-tank with only melta weaponry in the list.

good hunting.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wrote an article about why full drop pod lists are not particularly competitive, I understand that you may enjoy the feel of them and like the look but building an army is a lot of money and effort and if you ever intend on playing competitively I would advise against full drop.

Link to the article

This does not mean you have to give up your crimson fists, they can work as a midfield control army mounted in rhinos, in fact I think they're much better that way then drop pod mounted.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changes wise how about this?

Removing drop pods from the tac squad and replacing weapons for a flamer and a lascannon and keep them on a home objective.

Combine the sternguard squads to form 2-one with plasma combis in a rhino and the other with combi-meltas in a drop pod (having one or 2 does make the army have a nasty surprise for opponents who have artillary placed out of line of sight or squishy HQ units)

Drop the drop pod from honour guard and instead mount them up in a razorback with TLLC for more anti-tank. This can be used in conjunction with the rhino sternguard to counter attack any thrust towards my own lines.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
not bad ideas. i always prefer combi-meltas over combi plasma, but that's your choice.

a Razorback would be a good addition, but man, i wish you would drop that Honor Guard.

if you insist on it, there's a good reason, so i won't argue against the any more.

tact squads with your chosen set up is a good idea.

good hunting.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Honour Guard aren't really that good and cost a packet, plus in a Drop Pod they cannot assault which is what these boys do. Prepare to get them shot to pieces. I'd drop these and replace with something else.

Ditch the multi meltas, power fists and melta bombs from the Sternguard. They're a shooting unit and do not belong in combat. Give them combi weapons.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I choose the honour guard since I believe it would be more fluffy for a marine Chapter Master to be assisted by the best warriors for the chapter. Plus I have a good conversion in mind for the champion located here. Also the honour guard ride in a razorback rather than a drop pod. True they can still get shot to pieces but the risk is much less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.