Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am an imperial guard and CSM player....I have a game coming this Friday and I am facing the Tau for the first time since their update for 6th edition. The only thing i know is that they are shooty as hell, Riptide are really good and that they have marker light (Not even sur what it does).....I do not have their codex nor will i purchase it for now...

I am not sure which army to play....CSM with Daemon allies could be a choice....I hear that they can ignore cover so i could build a rush army with Lots of spawn and Hounds... Or I could go for IG with lot's of shooting (With Inquisitors), Not sure about bringing Vendetta's, i hear they have a shit load of interceptors...

So need advice guys.....What should i expect? What are my priority targets etc.... I do not have his list, I am going in blind so i am expecting the worse....base on your advices i shall post a list and go from there...

My main armies are IG and CSM but i can add allies of the following:

- Deamons (Hounds and plaguebearers, GUO, Fateweaver, LoC)
- Grey Knights (Paladin, Coteaz, Draigo and Dreadknight)
- Necrons (Immortals, nightscythe x 2, wraiths x 6)
- Space Wolves (Rune priest and one squad of space wolves, 3 thunderwolves cavalery)

Tks for your help.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Don't bother, riptides will mulch you, especially with marker lights- which +BS or ignore your cover
If they also have AA broadsides, then your screwed
My advice would be either flyer spam with fingers crossed, or daemon invuln spam with fingers crossed
It's sad, but tau are absolutely broken and they've driven me to blood angels because of it
And potentially out of the game if any thing else follows suit (daemons)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Fast and tough units like CSM bikes are great, because Tau have trouble dealing with enemies at close range. Heldrakes are always a great idea, as their resilience make them hard to shoot down, even for Tau. I also find Plague Zombies to be surprisingly annoying...

When fighting them, be sure to bring down the markerlights first because that will allow you to keep your cover saves. Close combat anything you see, and keep in mind that the Riptide is NOT fearless (many people forget). Otherwise, hit hard and hit fast.

Good luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i am guessing a mix of CSM and IG could be a good thing...Psyker battle squads could do wonders with weaken resolve

2 x Squads of nurgle spawns and onw with lord could prove usefull....

Be'lakor might be a guess but a character that knows all Telepathy spells could prove quite usefull...especially if i am able to cast puppet master...

I will try to come up with a list that put pressure on the Tau and come back for more advice...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
bring a stress ball?

other then that, you HAVE to get into melee. Tau are the only army who's rapid fire range (15) is greater then max charge range (12) and twice that of safe charge (7) so that said, you can either try to out shoot them with big indirect fire weapon, (your guard so you should have some) or try the old close quaters routes and try to hammer them apart in close quaters.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Against Tau, I like Noise Marines. Anything that ignores cover to get at the tau huddled behind the aegis...
or in transports - skimmers don't get a jink against ignores cover.

If you took Huron and infiltrated d3 units of noisemarines into 24" range that could be nasty.

Main rule of thumb is - If it's got a markerlight it has to die. Once all the marker lights have gone, you get much less abused by the tau. They can't up their bs as well or ignore your cover.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I second the Land Raider part, seeing how the majority of Tau I've seen rely on spamming S7 missiles all around, and while a hundred and something twin-linked cover-ignoring missiles every round is a very good reason to quit playing this game, it does absolutely nothing at all against AV 14.

Seriously, in an edition where vehicles and assaults have been nerfed to hell and back, Land Raiders are still pretty good, I've seen less and less people take meltas since 6th edition came around while it was previously ubiquitous.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
If you are of age, bring a six pack and don't stop drinking. It will ease the pain.

Well, LoS blocking is useful... as is a mobile army that can take objectives before dying... I would suggest ignoring riptides (if there are 2-3, or killing if there is one) and focusing on troops and pathfinders. And broadsides I guess. Riptides are a bitch to kill, often not worthi t.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When assualting you need units that will soak the overwatch, as they were layer and supporting fire is brutal anti assualt option.

I suggest csm and daemons, as flying circus with vector strikes can be rough. I just faced it last night and we came down to have 3 units each on board. Nurgle flying princes are awesome since they get the 4/5+ save without jinking. Only thing that will hurt is skyray which can markerlight your flyers, making you hurt.

Kill the marker light and nurgle it up, the shrouded makes a world of a difference as it forces your opponent to hit you with 3+ ml to boost their shooting and force only invuls.

·
Registered
113 Posts
bring lots of alcohol as said by Jamob
that or spam bikers and hope for best luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
When assualting you need units that will soak the overwatch, as they were layer and supporting fire is brutal anti assualt option.

I suggest csm and daemons, as flying circus with vector strikes can be rough. I just faced it last night and we came down to have 3 units each on board. Nurgle flying princes are awesome since they get the 4/5+ save without jinking. Only thing that will hurt is skyray which can markerlight your flyers, making you hurt.

Kill the marker light and nurgle it up, the shrouded makes a world of a difference as it forces your opponent to hit you with 3+ ml to boost their shooting and force only invuls.

Dirge casters kill his overwatch. I only wish my DA had them too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hy Guys,

I finally played my first game against Tau and i decided to use my Imperial guards….Well, i won….In fact i tabled him at the end of turn 4.

That being said, I used some forge world unit which he previously allowed me to do. I wanted to try these for a while and i was not disappointed. I normally never use forge world but after spending the week reading about Tau, i decided that it was not overpower since they can clearly shoot you off the board in one turn…In fact, he would probably have if i did not get first turn.

Here is a run down of what he had….

Commander with 4 - XV88 Broadside (the guys that can shoot like 8 shots each) and marker light…

2 riptides (He lost only one wound by himself)

2 hammerhead with a shitload of missiles and sky fire…

2 x 2 squadron of little skimmer with fusion guns…can't remember the name

Some Kroots and other Tau troops…

Me i decided to Use my IG with Inquisition in order to get access ti Divination and try to match his firepower…

- Coteaz
- Xenos Inquisitor (pretty much naked)

- Company Command Squad
- Astropath
- 2 plasma
- Chimera

- 8 Psyker Battle squad (Never leave home without them)

- 30 Guardsmen Blob

- 2 x Sabre Lascannon Platform + 1 Searchlight (To soak wounds)
- 2 x Sabre Lascannon Platform + 1 Searchlight (To soak wounds)

- 2x 10 Vet Squad in Chimera (3 Plasma Each)

2 x Manticore

3 x Quad Launcher (Thudd Gun)

2 x Vendetta

Yes i Had a lot of artillery….and yes it is powerful…That being said, with pretty much all of his army that can shoot between Str7 and 9 with pretty much everything being Ap3 or Ap2….No one is gonna tell me that 12 blast S5 Ap5 is over powered against an opponent like this.

Well, so i started first (Coteaz made sure of that) and i started strong. First thing i noticed was his warlord being not too far form the table edge so i made sure he would get to understand the power of my little psyker battle squad…I dropped his leadership to 2, telling myself that i could drive him of the board quite easily….well he denied the witch..(#@[email protected][email protected]$)

So i put prescience on my Thudd gun and started shooting his command squad anyway…i rolled really well and managed to put 29 wounds…I killed most of his marker light 2 XV88 and the commander…he was now Ld 7 i think…and they failed their morale test…Bye Bye….The rest was pretty much a shooting gallery, i did hurt him a lot on the first turn gaining Warlord and First blood but he was not out of options and he returned fire killing a lot of my army

He killed:

2 thudd guns
1 manticore
1 Saber plateform
Lots of Guards (They were going for the Relic)

The good thing is that he shot all of his missiles leaving none to stop my Vendettas

So to make a story short, my vendettas killed his Hammerhead and my psykers made sure to make run most of his troops..

He tried to outflank some kroots near my psykers but Coteaz was there with some troops. His power I've Been Expecting you made sure to hurt them bad, keeping my psyker safe….

In the end, he only had one riptide left by turn four, i still had some fire power, mainly plasma and lascannon and my Vendetta (Which left the table on turn 4) would come back from reserve killing his last Riptide…Overall a great victory for the IG…

SMALL NOTE:

I am fully aware that Saber platform and Thudd guns are powerful and at the end he was kind of point that the Thudd guns are too power full….Honestly in normal games, against all other opponent i would agree…Against Tau..my answer is are you KIDDING ME!!!!! All of his strong units shoot like crazy and they all have amazing cover saves…and i am not even talking about marker light…??? I don't even know if a normal IG army can defeat them with normal stuff i would need a suit load of Leman russ to bring a lot of AV14…or a lot of Vendetta's…not sure though…

In conclusion, i do not feel my army was too powerful to face a Tau…(I would even go as far as saying Eldar too)…If he would had first turn, the game would have been a lot different….Thudd gun cannot have a cover save against his riptide so they would have been erased on first turn…They were actually on turn two….

He kept talking about the Thudd guns, but not once did he talked bout my Psyker Battle squad witch made run almost all of his troops of the boards….With trout troops, you can't catch the relic :) That being said, he was a really nice guy and playing against an opponent like this is always a great experience.

Anyway..great game but honestly playing against Tau is not much fun, there is no tactics…you just hope for a lot of damage on your turn and if you fail, you are done….They ignore cover, some of their powerful gun (Wich are pretty much everywhere) don't even need line of sight AND DO NOT ROLL FOR SCATTER…come on…don't tell me 1 squadron of 3 Thudd guns are too strong for theses….. And their hammerhead are AV13…

Let's just say that they do not suffer from a lack of options...

Just my own opinion…

P.S: Sorry for my english

·
Registered
316 Posts
Commander with 4 - XV88 Broadside (the guys that can shoot like 8 shots each) and marker light…

2 riptides (He lost only one wound by himself)

2 hammerhead with a shitload of missiles and sky fire…

2 x 2 squadron of little skimmer with fusion guns…can't remember the name

Some Kroots and other Tau troops…
Errrmmm unless he was using the Farsight Enclaves codex the body guard is only 2 extra suits (1+1 optional), and they are *not* broadsides.

If he was using that, I didn't think there would be kroot?

Broadsides have precisely 2 twin-linked weapons. No way to get 8 shots.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Errrmmm unless he was using the Farsight Enclaves codex the body guard is only 2 extra suits (1+1 optional), and they are *not* broadsides.

Broadsides have precisely 2 twin-linked weapons. No way to get 8 shots.
You can attach the Commander to a unit of Broadsides no problem, although you can only get 3 Broadsides per unit. Broadsides can also take High Yield Missile Pods AND Smart Missile systems, giving them 8 cover ignoring twin linked shots per model, 4 at S7 and 4 at S5, plus any Drones he might have.

So yeah, basically I think your friend has a nasty list, and frankly panning it into the ground with the broken-as-fuck Sabre Defence Platforms and Thudd guns does nothing but make me happy, since with a list like that I assume he's had a fairly long undefeated streak at your local store.

Reactions: nevynxxx

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You can attach the Commander to a unit of Broadsides no problem, although you can only get 3 Broadsides per unit. Broadsides can also take High Yield Missile Pods AND Smart Missile systems, giving them 8 cover ignoring twin linked shots per model, 4 at S7 and 4 at S5, plus any Drones he might have.
That is exactly what he had with is commander

So yeah, basically I think your friend has a nasty list, and frankly panning it into the ground with the broken-as-fuck Sabre Defence Platforms and Thudd guns does nothing but make me happy, since with a list like that I assume he's had a fairly long undefeated streak at your local store.
He told me that his list was barely competitive…Today i can tell that i do not share his opinion…This was my first time playing this guy.

Yes the Thudd Gun and Saber platform is Broken-as-fuck like you mentioned, and this is why i never play them against most army. The new artillery profile makes them very resilient… But against an army like that…they are as much broken as any part of his army…..

I don't know about his winning streak, but i can assure you that i cannot think of many army that can defeat this….To fight broken units, you often need broken units of your own…

But honestly, like i said, where is the fun in that???? The best games i had over the years are the ones where you fight till the very end and where tactic makes a difference.

But when it is decided by who go first, were's the fun in that…I was thinking about purchasing some Tau to ally with my IG but after my game yesterday, i completely changed my mind, yes they have some beautiful models (Riptide etc…) but their codex is way too much…..

He was telling me yesterday that he thinks that all of the 6th edition codex are all equal, that his Tau are not stronger than any other 6th edition codex…..He clearly does not play CSM…I do, and winning requires a lot of tactics….not some marker lights…

P.S: Sorry for my poor english

·
Registered
113 Posts
That is exactly what he had with is commander

He told me that his list was barely competitive…Today i can tell that i do not share his opinion…This was my first time playing this guy.

Yes the Thudd Gun and Saber platform is Broken-as-fuck like you mentioned, and this is why i never play them against most army. The new artillery profile makes them very resilient… But against an army like that…they are as much broken as any part of his army…..

I don't know about his winning streak, but i can assure you that i cannot think of many army that can defeat this….To fight broken units, you often need broken units of your own…

But honestly, like i said, where is the fun in that???? The best games i had over the years are the ones where you fight till the very end and where tactic makes a difference.

But when it is decided by who go first, were's the fun in that…I was thinking about purchasing some Tau to ally with my IG but after my game yesterday, i completely changed my mind, yes they have some beautiful models (Riptide etc…) but their codex is way too much…..

He was telling me yesterday that he thinks that all of the 6th edition codex are all equal, that his Tau are not stronger than any other 6th edition codex…..He clearly does not play CSM…I do, and winning requires a lot of tactics….not some marker lights…

P.S: Sorry for my poor english
no need for the english apologizing mate.
Codexes equal? hell no.
Tau is the best codex with eldar close behind and daemons 3/4's the way up. the rest is down in hell if your talking vertical distance.

·
Registered
807 Posts
He told me that his list was barely competitive
His list was alright, but he is right, compared to the top tier Tau list, it was barely competitive. Those list are Tau allied with... Tau (well Farsight Enclave) and run 4 Riptides, one of witch is the special Farsight one who is an IC, and a Support Command Suit that acts as a Swiss army Knife for USRs. Then they sit back and blast you away with S9 AP2 Large Blasts that Ignore Cover.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts