1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
383 Posts
Looks good dude, a clean simple paintjob. Just add some Ultramarine transfers and they'll be ready to game with.

And welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks, these forums look really great! Seems to be a largely friendly community as well

thanks for the comments on the marines aswell

·
Registered
221 Posts
Looks pretty good, especially for first models. Only thing I can say is water down your paints. The first marine looks a little chunky and streaky. Other than that, kudos. They look a ton better than my first models.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Looks good for a first attempt. how old were you when you painted them. my first were wood elf archers and lokk awful rally thick paint I think i was 7 years old

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just finished painting them, i just started warhammer like i said, im 15.

thanks for the advice and compliments.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Nice for first models.

Try some transfers as FrozenOrb said. If those little buggers prove to difficult, try out your freehand!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i found the transfers to be soooooo annoying, sticking to my finger, not folding down right, i even tryed cutting a slit in the middle so it would fold better, still nothing, and it just doesnt look right to me

any advice on that?

·
Registered
432 Posts
use tweezers for transfers, best advice i can give and keep the surface wet while you position it with either the tweezers or your brush as that'll keep the surface tension of the transfer thin so that you can move it easily. Decals can take a lot of practice but look great when they're done.

You did great work for those being your first three mini's. Keep going and you'll notice you'll get better and better and probably not notice it while it happens 8)

·
Registered
383 Posts
With scissors I cut the transfer to the absolute edge of the design, in my case the Imperial Fists logo because otherwise the transfers are too big to fit nicely on shoulder pads.

Whilst the transfer is soaking in water I slightly dilute a little PVA glue, and brush some onto the shoulder pad.

Then the transfer, with most of water removed by touching the transfer to your finger, is positioned in place. I find the sculpting tool is handy for lifting and initially placing the transfer.

I then carefully with a small paintbrush, flatten it as best as possible, removing excess glue as I go.

This I then leave until the glue is half set, then with more PVA on a small brush I'll coax any more under anywhere that needs it in the transfer and again do my best to flatten it nicely. I also like to brush a layer of PVA over the transfer to help protect it.

After letting dry for a little while, I add further protection by brushing some of the GW Gloss Varnish over the transfer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks again for the tips and comments. im painting a space marine tactical squad right now, im experimenting with poses before i glue my first one, also, if there is a msall gap when i glue the armor plates together, is that normal? do i need to use epoxy, or when i spray paint it will it get covered? either way im getting eopxy tomorrow so id just like to know.

G

·
0 Posts
One tip for appling transfers is to give the area u will place tyhe transfere a coat of gloss varnish.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I wish my first models were that good. My first minaiture sucked rotten eggs. Those are nice and clean. Good work. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks pathfinder, after looking at alot of your amazing work, i can say that means alot from you

thanks again everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts