Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is my first space marine. I haven't done the ultramarines, I've painted it more like crimson fists. I was going to do blood angles, I tried painting one and discovered that it would take me months to complete 2 tactical squads! Red just takes to long to get an even coverage (even over foundation paints). So I decided to paint the whole model like a blood angels devastator helmet. It's turning out quite well I think. Not quite finished yet. I need to touch up the highlights and neaten up some areas (and do the base as well).

View attachment 131

View attachment 132

View attachment 133

I really need help with a colour for the shoulder pad rims, because dark blue just doen't contrast properly and makes the pads look as if they 'aren't there'. Or I could change the colour of the pads. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (I'm not exactlt a colour expert. I was thinking, maybe the same colour as the chest eagle?

Also my other problems are the name, symbols, and rules.

- I really like the blood angels list so would I be able to use there rules and call them by a similar name?

- What symbols or badges should I use. I could use BA's or something that suits the name of the 'guys' or the army or both? I could use the crimson fist bages and call them Angel fists or something.

- I have no idea for a name, help seriously needed with that!

Anyway, sorry for all the questions. Help is GREATLY appreciated! :)

Coments and constructive criticism on the mini are very welcome.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
i like the way you painted him really like the colours too good job

·
Registered
116 Posts
OK first off good job for your first SM. One thing i would say would be to use more lighter layers to avoid the blotting. As far as using the BA codex thats cool I use it for my Exorcists. And for the name check thishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters out read a little about different chapters and decide from there.
some chapters that use a predominately blue color scheme are:
Avenging Sons
Death Strike
Liberators
Rainbow Warriors
Raptors
Violators

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Nice stuff there mate. Awsome work for a first mini. Its really well done. As for your other questions

For chapter name just have a look round the internet, theres heaps of names or name generators around to help you with it. Heresy should have its own very soon.

For symbols. Have a look on the net again or if you have DOW try on there as it has a lot of different options on there.

Shoulder pads hmmm. You may hate me but maybe a brightish Orange or Red. A remember there being a short story about a Chapter called the Blue Angels somewhere that were in trouble with the =I= for some Heresy. Blue with Red shoulder pads sounds Blue Angel like to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have gone with a colour like the eagle for the shoulder rims. I'll post pics when finished the model. I just need to do the base. Would a grey, gravely base work well for these guys?

BTW Thanks for the help guys!:biggrin:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Your marines look great for a first atempt. I wouldn't complain playing against them. As your technique gets better just keep these in the back of the squad and remove them as the first casualties.

As far as your question about the base, if you want gravel nothing sayes you can't do gravel. I think it would be a good color compliment with the gray gravel though. Just remember to think of what type of "terrain" your game board is while doing the base. My CSM look out of place when doing cityfights as they have a sand/grass base and my Dark Angels look kind of silly on open plain battles with cityfight bases.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would necron abys work for the base rim or a sandy orange (discord of navy). Abys is what I use for the base coat of the marine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
why not gold for shouldert pad trims?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice work. I'm glade you didn't go for gold with them. Are you going to add any red to them (like squad markings or for accents)?

Are you using the Blood Angel rules? If so then that can help select a chapter name.

Keep up the great work and keep us posted on you're progress.:eek:k:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
the grey bases could work but i find for mainly blue models a sandy base with rocks stands out better. really its down to preferance or you could do what i did for my old storm lords and get fine red gravel from an aquatics shop and mix it with a little sand the easiest way to pick an effective base sceme is the darker the model the lighter the base.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.